THEME: #261 MILKY WAY
RECIPE: APPLE KHEER
Apple Kheer is creamy, different from rice pudding, easy to make and delectable. Perfect for any festival or prepare it to enjoy a healthier dessert. Best served chilled.
This Week’s Theme on FoodieMonday/Bloghop Group:
This week, the group has to use milk or its products like yogurt, paneer, milk powder, evaporated milk, condensed milk. If possible the main ingredient has to be milk or its products. This interesting theme, suggested by Swati who blogs Food Trails, offers so many options. With the Ganesh Chaturthi over the weekend, I thought of making an easy and not too sweet apple kheer. Frankly, I’ve ordered too many apples this week so thought of using up some to prepare Apple Kheer. Next on the list to make was Swati’s Mango Falooda but I’ll have to wait for our next mango season to begin which will be in 2-3 months time.
What is Apple Kheer?
Kheer is basically a milk based pudding. Traditionally, the pudding is made from rice. However, these days so many other ingredients are used to make kheer or pudding. Its one of the easiest sweet treat or mithai to make. Just boil milk till it becomes thick. Depending on what you have at hand, either condensed milk, evaporated milk or milk solid called mawa or khoya is added to make the whole process faster. Having said that, even if you don’t have any of those ingredients, you can still make kheer. Best to use full fat milk and simmer it till it becomes thick.
Some more recipes using Milk as the main ingredient
Many Indian Sweets or Mithai as they are called, are made from milk. Here are some recipes where I’ve used milk as one of the main ingredients. Not all are Indian Sweets.
- Milk Pudding with Jelly
- Filling and delicious Thandai Chia Pudding
- Creamy and cooling Thandai Kulfi
- Shiro/Sooji Halwa
- Petit Pains Du Lait (French Milk Bread)
- Turmeric Tea latte/ Haldi ka Doodh
- Red Rice Kheer
- Makhana and Dry Fruit Kheer
- Amaranth Fruity Pudding /Rajgira Kheer
- Fruit and Nut Rice Kheer
- Samo/ Moriyo Kheer
- Sabudana Kheer / Tapioca Pearl Pudding
- Thandai Makhana Phirni
- Poha Phirni /Rice Flake Pudding
- Sooji Phirni / Semolina Pudding
- Paal Kozhukattai
- Easy to make Chocolate Phirni
- Black Rice Phirni
- Marble Barfi
- Biscuit Pudding
- Coconut Barfi /Fudge
- Using condensed milk – Chocolate Barfi/Fudge
- Chocolate Kalakand
- Banana Peanut Butter and Oats Smoothie
- Mango Strawberry Smoothie
- Makai no Chevdo
- Swati’s Cracked Wheat Porridge which one can enjoy for breakfast or as a dessert
Ingredients required for Apple Kheer
- Milk – Full Fat Milk (whole milk) or 2% milk
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Apples – prefer to use Red Delicious or Gala variety
- Raisins – or any dried fruit of your preference
- Cardamom Powder – elachi powder
- Nutmeg Powder – jaiphal
- Saffron – kesar
- Chopped Nuts – any of your choice
- Gluten Free
- 3 cups full fat milk
- 2 large apples
- ¼ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 tbsp raisins
- ¼ tsp nutmeg powder
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- ¼ tsp saffron
- 1-2 tbsp chopped nuts of your choice
- Peel and core the apples. Grate them.
- Heat ghee in a pan over medium heat.
- Stir fry the grated apples till the water disappears and the apples are cooked.
- Transfer the cooked apples to a bowl and keep on the side till required.
- Add the milk and condensed milk into the pan.
- Put the pan over medium to low heat. Bring the milk to a boil.
- Lower the heat and allow the milk to simmer till its nearly half the quantity or till it becomes thick.
- Stir the milk frequency and keep on scraping the milk solids that develops on the sides and add it to the simmering milk. The milk gets thick in about 10 minutes.
- Add raisins, saffron, cardamom and nutmeg powders.
- Mix well. Allow the milk to cool down a bit.
- Add the cooked apples when the thick milk is a bit cool.
- Chill apple kheer in the fridge for 30-60 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with chopped nuts and serve.
- Can add dried fruits of your choice like chopped dates, apricots, etc.
- Peel and grate the apples just when you're ready to make the kheer, otherwise they will turn brown.
- Add nuts of your choice. I used only almonds.
- For this recipe avoid using green apples.
Pin for later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email email@example.com
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962
August 24, 2020 at 4:41 pm
What a coincidence I too posted kheer for this theme but your version of using apples is a nice twist. Bookmarked this recipe for my next kheer 🙂
August 25, 2020 at 5:23 pm
Thank you so much Priya, I had made the kheer for Janmashtami but the recipe didn’t make it to the blog then. Please do try it as its very delicious and easy to make.
August 25, 2020 at 12:52 pm
Beatiful pics Mayuriji!! Very inviting and delicious bowl of apple kheer.. my kids love it..a perfect light and yummy dessert to make for bhog or for family during the festival time or just like that.
August 25, 2020 at 5:14 pm
Thanks Swati, my son in law loves it. I like to make it as its so fruity and delicious.
August 29, 2020 at 5:17 am
Apple kheer looks awesome Mayuri. I can imagine the heavenly taste. A great recipe to offer as bhog prasad. Dry fruits loaded kheer is also great for small gathering. Saving it to try sometime.
August 29, 2020 at 9:32 pm
August 27, 2020 at 2:35 pm
Apple kheer looks so inviting and delicious with all those toppings. Perfect dessert to enjoy any time with the goodness of apples
August 27, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Thank you so much Narmadha.
August 28, 2020 at 3:05 pm
I always thought Apple kheer was a figment of the director’s imagination in the movie Khoobsoorat. 😀 so was stunned to see this kheer. Absolutely love it. The pics too ar beautiful. I just make this kheer for the next festival. Dusherra! Yes. Thanks
August 28, 2020 at 4:04 pm
Oh was apple kheer mentioned in the movie? Wow what a memory you have Archana. Very easy to make so do try it out during Dussera.
August 29, 2020 at 7:07 am
Beautiful clicks!! Apple Kheer looks scrumptious. A delicious Kheer with the goodness of Apple. Will try this sometime. I am sure my family will love it .
August 29, 2020 at 9:32 pm
Thank you so much Preethi. Enjoy when you make the apple kheer.
The Girl Next Door
August 30, 2020 at 8:30 am
I love how you have used apples in this kheer. It looks creamy and absolutely delicious. Totally brilliant presentation too. I’ll definitely be trying this out.
September 1, 2020 at 10:18 pm
Thank you so much Priya. Please do try the recipe.
August 30, 2020 at 11:30 am
I do make apple rabadi and it is similar to your apple kheer version except the addition of sweetened condensed milk. I love the way you have presented the kheer. Looks absolutely irresistible. Just perfect for the ongoing festive season.
September 1, 2020 at 10:17 pm
Thank you so much Poonam.
August 30, 2020 at 5:56 pm
What a lovely presentation di, super delectable and interesting kheer recipe. Loved the taste of apple, flavors of nutmeg, saffron and its creamy texture. Love to have some chilled apple kheer anytime, adding this in my do list 🙂
September 1, 2020 at 10:16 pm
thank you so much Aruna. Please do try the recipe, its so delicious.
September 20, 2020 at 12:35 am
Apple kheer looks delicious. I have never made this one . Always thought the sourness from the apples may curdle the milk. But now I got the idea. You have cooked the apples and then added them to the kheer. Perfect.
September 20, 2020 at 10:55 pm
Thanks Shobha. Cooking the apples first prevents the milk from curdling.
September 20, 2020 at 9:34 am
I love your apple kheer which you have made almost like dudhpak – nice and thick with all the lovely spices and nuts. Adding apples must give it a lovely texture and taste.
September 20, 2020 at 10:54 pm
Thanks Mina, it is a delightful kheer. You must try it the recipe.
September 20, 2020 at 4:02 pm
Apple kheer looks delectable and loved the pics. This is gonna be a different kheer to serve for the guests. I make the apple kheer without condensed milk. Loved this version too.
September 20, 2020 at 10:48 pm
Thank you so much Niranjana. I’ve also made it without condensed milk when not available.
September 20, 2020 at 7:19 pm
I love this recipe for apple kheer and is perfect for the festival season. Love the beautiful bite of apples in the kheer and adding condensed milk makes the recipe come together very quickly.
September 20, 2020 at 10:44 pm
Thanks Sandhya and that’s true adding condensed milk helps to make the kheer quickly.
September 20, 2020 at 9:43 pm
Kheer has a lovely hue mayurji ! Looks lovely and delicious flavors that will beautifully compliment the fresh apples!! Love your presentation, very pretty scene!
September 20, 2020 at 10:43 pm
Thank you so much Priya.
September 21, 2020 at 1:09 pm
Apple Kheer looks so creamy and delicious. It makes a perfect sweet for fasting or festivities. Nice clicks.
September 21, 2020 at 9:27 pm
Thank you so much Jayashree.
September 21, 2020 at 4:41 pm
wow what a new and different kheer – I cant wait to try it!
September 21, 2020 at 9:19 pm
September 23, 2020 at 5:05 am
I have some extra apples and was wondering you to use those up. This kheer might be the answer! It looks rich and decadent.
September 24, 2020 at 11:00 pm
Thanks Usha, and enjoy the kheer.