Any festival means celebrations with the most scrumptious dishes. For Eid celebration I made some seviyan. Seviyan, vermicelli kheer or mithi sev as most gujaratis would call it can be prepared in different ways. Some roast the nuts and vermicelli , boil the milk and then add the roasted mixture. Wholesome milk, cream, condensed milk, fresh cream are some of the dairy products used for this dish. My recipe is simple and can be made in under 30 minutes. Vermicelli is a type of pasta which is widely used for a variety of dishes right from Italy to China. In India it is known as sev in Gujarati, Seviyan in hindi, semiya in the south. Vermicelli is much thinner than spaghetti.
Seviyan is a famous Eid fare in most Muslim homes. I remember Ajay’s friend Rafiq’s mum use to make lovely seviyan during Eid. Loaded with nuts and saffron and unbelievably creamy.
1 cup broken vermicelli
4 cups full fat milk
½ cup mixed chopped nuts
¼ cup raisins
2 tbsps ghee ( clarified butter)
½ cup sugar
½ tsp cardamom powder
¼ tsp nutmeg powder
¼ tsp saffron powder
- Heat the milk in a pan.
- Take another pan and put the ghee in it. Heat the ghee over low heat.
- When the ghee melts, add the vermicelli.
- Roast over low heat, stirring all the time till it becomes brown in colour.Be careful not to burn it.
- Add the hot milk to the roasted vermicelli. Be careful to add the milk from the side of the pan, as steam will be created.
- Stir and let the mixture come to a gentle boil. Add the sugar.
- Mix and let the seviyan simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir occasionally so it does not burn at the bottom.
- Once the mixture becomes thick, take it off the heat.
- Add saffron, cardamom and nutmeg powder. Add the nuts and raisins.
- Mix very well and serve hot or put it in the fridge to chill.
- Both hot and chilled seviyan taste yummy.
- For a more liquidy seviyan, add a cup of milk after its cooked.
- For a creamier version, use 3 cups of milk to cook it and then add a cup of fresh cream just when it is done.
- Some recipes use condensed milk, but I personally do not like the taste.
- If you are going to use an artificial sweetener, then add only 3 cups of milk. Its the sugar and milk cooked that forms a thick syrup.
- Choice of nuts that can be used are walnuts, cashew nuts, almonds, pistachios.
- For those allergic to all dairy products, use coconut milk or water. Cooking with water will not give you the same colour but the consistency will be thick. Roast the vermicelli in margarine.