Banana Peanut Butter and Oats Smoothie
EVENT: BLOGGING MARATHON #88
THEME: KID’S DELIGHT – HEALTHY DRINKS – WEEK 3 DAY 2
As I mentioned in the Day 1 post for healthy drinks for kids, I want to refrain from using artificial flavors, additives, colors and today to the list I add harmful fats like hydrogenated vegetable fats. These are found in baked goods, restaurant foods, sold as margarine, finds its way into products like peanut butter, other nut spreads etc.
Peanut butter in moderation is good for health. Making peanut butter at home is so easy. Roasted peanuts are processed in a food processor till it becomes a smooth paste. Its that simple.
Why should kids have peanut butter included in their diet:
- Its rich in protein.
- Has good fat.
- Keeps one full for a longer period of time.
- Good for healthy muscles and nerves as its rich in magnesium.
- Rich in Vitamin B6 which builds up immunity.
Why should kids have oats:
- Good source of carbs and dietary fiber
- Controls blood sugar, therefore making one feel full for a longer period of time
- Its rich in protein
- Good for the bones
Serve a bowl of oats to kids and they will make a fuss. Serve it added to other foods like muffins, cookies, parathas etc and they will eat it happily. A good healthy and filling way to serve oats without the kids realizing is in smoothies. A no fuss and quick recipe.
I made this smoothie with banana but you can add any other fresh fruit like apples, mangoes, peaches, pears etc. This smoothie topped with a bit of dark chocolate chips will disappear in no time.
Fellow Bloggers please add your kid’s friendly healthy drinks here.
BANANA PEANUT BUTTER AND OATS SMOOTHIE
2 bananas, peeled and chopped
2-3 tbsp homemade peanut butter
1½ cups fresh milk
4 tbsp oatmeal
a few dark chocolate chips
1-2 tbsp honey, maple syrup or jaggery (optional)
- Add all the ingredients except chocolate chips in a blender.
- Blend till you get a smooth thick liquid.
- Pour into serving glasses.
- Add chocolate chips and serve.
- Use homemade peanut or any nut butter.
- Add a fruit of your choice. Can use a mixture like banana and apples.
- Add flavoring of your choice like cinnamon.
You may want to check out breakfast recipes:
Sending this recipe to the following event: