EVENT: FOODIES_ REDOING OLD POSTS #33
Updated on 04/09/2020
Apple Crisp is an easy to make dessert. Apple slices topped with oats, flour, sugar, butter mixture is baked. Serve it warm with some ice cream or fresh cream.
Apple Crisp is one of my favorite desserts to make whenever I have guests over. Not only is it an easy dessert to make, but a versatile one as other fruits too can be added with apple. My old photo for the recipe was hazy and appeared un appetizing. Now it looks different.
The group Foodies _ Redoing Old Posts, allows me to redo my old post, of which I have a large number. Breathing new life into them with new photos and better write up is what I like. Its a bi monthly group, where members redo old posts and share on Facebook. That way we are able to get some bloggers’ love towards our forgotten posts. The idea of redoing old posts as a group was Renu’s idea. Renu blogs at Cook With Renu.
What is Apple Crisp?
Crisp is a dessert whereby a topping of mixed flour, oats, brown sugar and butter is sprinkled on top of a fruit or mixture of fruits and baked.
Usually summer fruits like peaches, nectarine, apricots, berries or winter fruits like apples, pears are used for a crisp dessert. The dessert is served warm with ice cream, whipped cream or custard.
My first taste of Apple Crisp
The first time I tasted apple crisp was at the late Marie Vyas’ home. Marie, got married to my hubby’s cousin and we quickly became good friends. In fact she was the reason I got into teaching. Even though I don’t have any formal training or degree in Education, she recognized my ability and invited me to train under capable and wonderful teachers at the school where she was the deputy head. From then on, there was no looking back. Apple Crisp recipe is dedicated to the wonderful humble, friendly and affectionate Marie. Miss her a lot.
From the time I learnt how to make this easy and delicious dessert from Marie, I’ve made it often whenever I have family and friends over for dinner. When I invited my mamaji and mamiji for dinner, I thought of making Apple Crisp. Marie and her husband both passed on when the son and daughter were very young. Her daughter was in my class when Marie passed on. It was only natural that a strong bond developed between the daughter and me. I wanted to pass on a bit of what Marie taught me to her daughter through this Apple Crisp recipe.
Other Apple Recipes:
Before we go into how to make apple crisp, here are some suggestions how you can use apples. There are times when I have apples that no one wants to eat. That’s when I use them up into other different ways:
- Celery Greens and Apple Juice – a healthy start to the day
- a great way to get kids to enjoy apples in a muffin – Apple and Cinnamon Muffins
- Want to enjoy cheesecake with a crumble taste, try Apple Crumble Cheesecake
- A delicious breakfast idea – Apple Aebleskiver
- Scandinavian Apple Charlotte – an interesting dessert with green apples, brown bread crumbs and whipped cream
- Use Green Apple and Spring Onion Chutney as a dip with chips, nachos or serve with you favorite pakora.
- Apple Crumble Parfait – top with ice cream to have as dessert or with Greek Yogurt for breakfast
- Delightful and easy tea time bake – Apple Squares
- Butternut Squash and Apple Salad – a healthy, filling meal
- Enjoy pizza as a dessert – Apple Dessert Pizza
- Soft muffins with no refined sugar – Apple and Date Muffins
- Ice cream with apple bits – Apple Cinnamon Ice Cream
- Carrot and Apple Nut Bread – a quick bread to enjoy for breakfast or at tea time
- Bake them for breakfast and a good way to get kids to enjoy oats – Apple Oat Muffins
- Red Apple, Cucumber and Onion Salad – a perfect accompaniment to a meal or enjoy as a light refreshing meal
- Different from the traditional Indian pudding or kheer – Apple Kheer
- Love this salad with macadamia nuts – Apple Carrot Salad
- Crunchy Apple Salad – enjoy apples in a more interesting and healthy way by adding walnuts and olives
- Delicious smoothie to take care of your apple based dessert craving – Apple Crisp Smoothie
Can you add other fruits with the apple?
Yes, I’ve tried with blueberries, blackberries and strawberries. Can also use a mixture of apples and pears.
Which type of apples do you use for Apple Crisp?
Any, or a mixture. I prefer to use both green and the red ones mixed. However, using either is also fine. The apples should be crunchy.
Ingredients required for Apple Crisp
For the crisp layer:
Flour – I prefer to use wheat flour but you can use plain or all purpose flour.
Oats – rolled or quick oats, any of your choice
Brown Sugar – can replace it with coconut sugar.
Butter – use salted or unsalted. I prefer salted and it has to be a bit soft.
Cinnamon Powder – for flavoring
For the Filling:
Apples – use any crunchy variety of your choice. Cut them into slices or chopped.
Lemon Juice – for the balance of sweetness and tanginess.
Raisins – optional, I like to add them whenever I don’t have berries.
Cinnamon Powder – for flavoring
Apple Juice or Water – to add to the filling as sometimes during baking apples tend to dry up
Flour – required to make the liquid a bit thick
Butter – for greasing the ramekins or tray
Its suitable for vegetarian
For a vegan version, replace the butter with coconut oil or vegan butter
For a gluten free version, replace the flour with oat flour or oat flakes
FOR THE CRISP LAYER:
- ¾ -1 cup rolled oats or quick oats
- ½ cup wheat flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 100 g butter
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
FOR THE FILLING:
- 6 medium apples
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup water or apple juice
- ½ cup raisins
- ¼ -⅓ cup brown sugar
- ¾ -1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tbsp wheat flour
- some butter for brushing
PREPARATION OF CRISP LAYER:
- Mix flour, oat, cinnamon powder and sugar together.
- Add butter and rub it into the mixture.
PREPARATION OF THE FILLING:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Brush a 8" X 8" tray or 8 ovenproof bowls with butter.
- You can leave the apples unpeeled if they are not waxed. Otherwise peel and core them. Slice or chop them into pieces.
- Immediately drizzle with lemon juice and mix so that they do not begin to turn brown.
- Add apple juice or water, sugar, raisins, flour and cinnamon powder. Mix well.
FOR INDIVIDUAL BOWLS:
- Arrange the bowls on a baking tray.
- Divide the filling equally and add to the greased bowls.
- Divide the crisp layer equally.
- Bake for 20 minutes or till the top layer is golden brown.
- Remove the baked crisp from the oven. Let it cool slightly.
- Top with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream or custard and serve.
BAKE IN A TRAY:
- Grease a 8" X 8" tray with butter.
- Add the filling and spread it out into an even layer.
- Sprinkle the crisp topping over the filling, evenly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or till the top is golden brown.
- Remove the tray from the oven and let it cool slightly.
- Serve portions of apple crisp topped with ice cream, whipped cream or custard and serve.
- Add fresh berries instead of raisins.
- Adjust the amount of sugar according to your taste.
- Can use coconut sugar instead of brown sugar.
- Add nutmeg to the filling for a different flavour.
- To serve during a dinner party, put the crisp to bake as the guests arrive. It will be ready to serve by dessert time.
- Use leftover apple crisp the next day as breakfast. Top it with plain or Greek yogurt.
Pin for later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962