Apple and Cinnamon Muffins
THEME:#192 ONE SPICE INGREDIENT
Cinnamon is a spice that is made from the inner bark of trees scientifically known as Cinnamomum. It has been used as an ingredient throughout history, dating back as far as Ancient Egypt. It used to be rare and valuable and was regarded as a gift fit for kings. Branches of these trees are cut and the outer bark is removed. Its then beaten repeatedly to remove the inner bark. The inner barks come out as thin rolls called quills. These are dried and sold. The main flavor of the cinnamon spice is from essential oil and principal component, cinnamaldehyde. Nowadays cinnamon is widely used in bakes, desserts, spice mixtures, drinks and local authentic dishes.
- Cinnamon Zeylanicum also known as Ceylon Cinnamon, True Cinnamon, Mexican Cinnamon or Cinnamomum Verum. Its mainly grown in Sri Lanka, India, Madagascar, Brazil and the Caribbean. The trees grow up to 32 to 49 feet high. It tastes mildly sweet and is light to medium reddish brown in colour.It has low coumarin levels and is quite expensive.
- Cinnamon Burmanni also known as Korintje Cinnamon, Padang Cassia, Indonesian cinnamon. Its mainly grown in Indonesia. The tree grows to a height of 22ft and its spicy dark reddish brown bark. Not too expensive and it has high coumarin levels.
- Cinnamomum Loureiroi also known as Saigon cinnamon, Vietnamese cassia, Vietnamese cinnamon. Found mainly in Vietnam it tastes spicy sweet and is dark reddish brown.It has high oil content. It has high coumarin levels.
- Cinnamomum Aromaticum also known as Cassia Cinnamon or Chinese Cinnamon. It mainly grows in China, with the tree height being 32-49 feet high. It has a spicy bitter taste, is dark reddish in colour and not expensive.
Many people are consuming cinnamon either with hot honey and lemon water, sprinkled in oats and cereals or used in dishes. If you consume cinnamon on a daily basis then for health reasons its best to buy the one with low coumarin levels. Too much coumarin is not good for health.
2 tbsp plain flour
1 tsp cinnamon powder
½ cup mashed ripe banana
½ cup milk
⅓ cup oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
¾ cup sugar
1 cup plain flour (all purpose flour)
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
¼ cup diced apples
½ tsp cinnamon for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Line a muffin tray with cake cups.
- Mix 1½ cups diced apples with 2 tbsp flour and 1 tsp cinnamon. Leave on the side till required.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl.
- In another bowl whisk mashed banana, vanilla extract, sugar, oil and milk together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix just enough to wet the dry ingredients.
- Add the apple cinnamon mixture. Mix gently.
- Spoon the batter ¾ of the way into the prepared muffin tray.
- Top each muffin with some chopped apples.
- Sprinkle cinnamon powder.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or till the tops are golden brown.
- Insert a tooth pick into the muffin. If it comes out clean then the muffins are done.
- Let them cool on a wire rack.
- Serve with tea or coffee or as a breakfast treat.
- Use any apples of your choice.
- Grind the cinnamon freshly for best aroma and flavor.
- If you don’t want the banana taste in the muffins then replace it with 2 medium eggs. Usually ¼ cup mashed banana is equal to one egg.
- Can use half plain and half wheat flour.
Pin for later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962
You may want to check out the following Cinnamon Recipes:
Sharing this recipe with the following event: