Celery Greens and Apple Juice
THEME: #238 GO GREEN
What is the Go Green Theme?
Go Green as suggested by Aruna, is not related to the environment but to using green leafy vegetables or herbs to create a dish. Greens can be anything from spinach, kale, collard, mint, coriander, basil, lettuce or salad leaves, etc. I chose to use the leafy celery greens as my main ingredient for this theme.
Benefits of Including Celery Leaves In Your Diet
Most people tend to throw away celery leaves which is a shame as they have their own health benefits if consumed. Here are some pointers as to why you should include them in your diet:
- They are low in calories
- Low in Carbohydrate
- High dietary fibre
- Its a good source of calcium which is essential for your bones and muscles
- Has high content of Vitamin E which is really good for the skin
- Contains Iodine which our body requires for proper thyroid function and metabolism
How can you use celery leaves?
I like the strong celery flavour of the leaves and tend to add it to my salad. However, you can use the leaves for the following:
- to make veg stock
- Add to soups. I make moong and celery leaves soup and its so tasty and nutritious.
- Have you tried making a pesto with it?
- Stir fry the greens and serve as a side dish with your meat, fish, paneer or tofu
- Flavor any rice dish by adding chopped celery leaves, like a risotto
- Swap parsley with celery leaves in tabbouleh or any other salad
- While making any smoothie or fresh juice add a handful of celery leaves
How do I include other leafy greens in my diet
I love to consume raw spinach in Salads and usually pair it with some sweet fruit like the way I have do whenever I make Watermelon, Feta and Spinach Salad. Radish leaves and Sprouted Moong is a super healthy salad.
You really should try Basil and Mint Lemon Drink, its so cooling and delicious.
I love the simple Indo Chinese flavours of Spinach and Baby Corn Soup
Sabji or side dish:
Adding greens in a rice dish is a good way to get kids to enjoy the health benefits of greens like in a Spinach Rice.
I like the way Aruna has used curry leaves to make a delicious looking Karivepaku Pachadi or Curry Leaves Chutney.
FoodieMonday/Bloghop is a group of 13 bloggers who share recipes based on a theme suggested by the members of the group. We do this every Monday. So make sure you check in on my blog every Monday for a new recipe.
I by no means am trying to tell you that if you drink Celery Greens and Apple Juice, you will not catch the virus. However, any healthy food or drink loaded with vitamins and minerals helps you to fight the infection better. As the world has literally come to a standstill due to this virus, its best to follow the rules that are advertised daily every where. The simple rules are :
- Clean your hands as often as possible with soap and water or use hand sanitizers
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth before washing your hands
- Put a distance between you and an infected person
- Avoid physical contact especially hand shakes
- Cover your mouth and nose when sneezing or coughing
- Clean and disinfect surfaces around you frequently
- If you have a cold or sore throat, isolate yourself
Ingredients required for Celery Greens and Apple Juice:
I usually enjoy this super healthy juice at least 3-4 times in a week. The ingredients you require are:
- A generous handful celery leaves
- Apple, either green or red
- Some fresh coriander/cilantro
- One or two celery stalks if you like
- Pink salt or any salt of your choice
- I’ve used cinnamon powder but feel free to use any spice powder of your choice
- Gluten free
- Low in Calories
CELERY GREENS AND APPLE JUICE
1 cup of celery greens
1 green apple, chopped
¼ cup chopped celery stalk
½ cup chopped fresh coriander
1 cup water
a pinch of pink salt
½ tsp cinnamon powder
- Make sure the celery leaves and coriander are washed well and chop it up roughly.
- Put all the ingredients except roasted cumin powder into a blender.
- Blend well, till you get a smooth juice.
- Pour over some ice cubes, sprinkle the roasted cumin powder and enjoy.
- You can keep the juice in the fridge and let it chill for a while.
- Replace apple with a fruit of your choice, like pineapple, red apple, pear, cucumber, etc.
- Use a spice powder of your choice.
- For added fibre do not strain the juice.
- Replace water with fresh orange, cranberry, pomegranate juice or any juice of your choice to increase the minerals and vitamins.
Pin For Later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962