MEGA BLOGGING MARATHON – APRIL 2018
#87TH BLOGGING MARATHON
THEME: EXPLORE THE FLAVORS – INTERNATIONAL BREAKFAST
“Breakfast like a King, Lunch like a Prince and Dine like a Pauper”goes a famous saying. Why am I talking about breakfast? The reason is that the Blogging Marathon group participates in the Mega Blogging Marathon twice a year. I participated in my first one last September where we made 26 protein rich dishes. For the #87th the theme is Explore the Flavors where one has the option of participating in the breakfast, street food, Indian sweets, lunch box dishes for elders, kids lunchbox, no refined sugar or refined flour, no onion no garlic and wholegrain. The participants can choose one theme and make 26 dishes using that one theme or have the option of choosing 4 themes, each theme you post recipes for a week.
I decided to choose International Breakfast dishes which I’ll do for the whole month. The rule is that we’re not allowed to repeat the country. Now that has been a little tough as I can’t include meat or fish. However, challenges which are a little tough become that more fun to do. Including getting bitten mosquitoes! I wasn’t getting good internet connection in the room where were spending Easter break so was in the lobby at midnight typing and getting bitten by those tiny blood sucking insects! That’s not the fun bit but the challenging bit! I will be posting my breakfast dishes starting from A and ending with Z.
Why is breakfast considered the most important meal of the day? Here are some reasons:
- Breakfast provides the body and the brain the fuel that is required after an overnight fast. That’s where the name originates breaking the fast. Running without breakfast is like running a car without petrol.
- When you have a good hearty breakfast. you’re less likely to reach out for high sugar or high fatty snacks during the mid morning.
- Breakfast restores the much required glucose for the brain to function resulting in improved memory and concentration levels. This benefit becomes essential that children have a good healthy breakfast for better cognitive function.
- A good balanced breakfast provides the energy required to perform daily activities. It kick starts your metabolism.
- Eating a well balanced breakfast reduces obesity, high blood pressure, heart diseases and controls diabetes.
- Studies have shown that people who eat breakfast tend to consume more vitamins, minerals and fiber throughout the day.
- Breakfast helps to improve your mood.
My first one is aebleskiver What is aebleskiver? Also known as appleskives they are spherical pancake balls. This breakfast dish originates from DENMARK. The name literally means apple slices. Nowadays they are made either plain or with other fruits. Aebleskivers are a little crusty on the outside but soft in the inside. Drizzled with some honey or chocolate sauce its the most delicious breakfast ever. These are made in an aebleskiver pan which looks like our Indian appe or paniyaram pan. I find the the cavities of the appe pan are smaller, but I may be wrong.
Serve these pancake puffs hot as cold ones do not taste that good. To keep them warm, place them in the warm oven till you prepare all of them.
APPLE AEBLESKIVER/ PANCAKE PUFFS
1¼ cup plain flour/all purpose flour
1 cup cold milk
1 tbsp white vinegar
2 tbsp sugar
2½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp cinnamon powder
2 tbsp melted butter
For the apple filling:
1 apple, peeled, cored and chopped
1 tbsp butter
¼ tsp cinnamon powder
extra butter for cooking
some honey or maple syrup
Preparation of the apple filling:
- Prepare the apple filling first. Heat butter in a pan over low heat.
- When the butter melts add the chopped apple.
- Cook the apple till its soft and done. Add cinnamon powder and mix well.
- Let it cool down a bit.
- Add vinegar into the cold milk. Mix and leave it for 15-20 minutes. This will become into buttermilk.
- Sieve the flour with salt, cinnamon and baking powder into a bowl.
- In another big bowl add buttermilk, melted butter, sugar and egg.
- Whisk the mixture till it becomes frothy.
- Add flour and whisk the mixture till the flour is incorporated into the liquid.
- Add the cooked apple and mix into the batter gently.
- Heat an abelskiver pan or appe pan over medium to low heat.
- Brush the cavities with some butter.
- Add some batter into each cavity till the top.
- Let the abelskiver cooker a minute.
- Using a skewer, turn it at 90° to allow the wet batter to pour into the cavity.
- Turn it over completely.
- Cook till abelskiver or pancake ball is done. Both sides should be light golden brown.
- Serve the abelskiver with honey, maple syrup,chocolate sauce or any fruit sauce.
- Remember to brush the cavities with butter or oil if you prefer.
- Add fruits of your choice or make them plain.
- You can add spices of your choice like nutmeg, cardamom.
Sending this recipe to the following event:
April 2, 2018 at 4:01 pm
Wow that is some intro you got there, loved reading why breakfast is so important . Apple aebleskivers looks fantastic mayuri, Perfect sweet breakfast to start the day with 🙂 Ha ha so you also fed those mosquitoes doing this post 😀 Jokes apart it is annoying with mosquitoes here and there while you are writing some serious facts about breakfast , challenging bit Indeed mayuri :D..
April 2, 2018 at 4:09 pm
Yes, being vegetarians, finding choices are a bit challenging but we do come up with good dishes right!! These pancakes look like a healthy and hearty breakfast!
April 2, 2018 at 4:14 pm
The breakfast looks very very appetising , I wish I could gorge on it ! Seriously beautiful pics and perfect beginning to the marathon . Looking forward to the complete series .
April 2, 2018 at 4:28 pm
Even though I told you that you could repeat countries, you took upon yourself to do the challenge, awesome!..can't wait to read more on your dishes..These aebleskiver look so nicely done, and such lovely presentation.
April 2, 2018 at 5:24 pm
Wow A to Z international breakfast sounds super exciting Mayuri. The apple ableskiver is a perfect idea for a healthy and filling breakfast.p
April 2, 2018 at 6:09 pm
Perfect breakfast! Looks delicious, i remember making them for a mega BM ! Apple and pancakes it is two breakfast combined into one!!! Superb start Mayuri!!!!
April 2, 2018 at 6:52 pm
Aebleskiver looks so good & soft and love the perfectly made round balls. Looking forward to you A-Z international breakfast recipes !!! Let's breakfast like a king !!!
April 2, 2018 at 9:04 pm
As always, loved your intro and thanks for reminding me about the importance of breakfast again. Even though I know, I tend to skip these days. Sighhhh. Looking forward to your breakfast recipes. 🙂
April 2, 2018 at 9:50 pm
That will be a treasure of breakfast recipes and can't believe you are doing it A to Z as well. The Aebleskiver has been in my to do list for a long time. Can't wait to try it out sometime. Looking forward to the rest of your breakfast recipes 🙂
April 2, 2018 at 10:47 pm
Beautifully made aebliskivers Mayuri. They look so fluffy and delicious.
Hopefully your internet connection has improved now and you don't have to worry about the mosquitos 🙁 Looking forward to your delicious breakfast recipes this month.
April 3, 2018 at 12:17 am
I made aebleskivers last month and now seeing the apple ones, am tempted to try these as well. Beautiful pictures and looking forward to the breakfast recipes in this series.
April 3, 2018 at 4:05 am
Aebleskiver looks damn cute and very tempting. Wish i could get some to munch rite now. What a theme you have picked Mayuri, am looking forward eagerly to see your beautiful dishes.
April 3, 2018 at 4:33 am
Wow! Looking forward to your A_Z breakfast dishes. Loved that intro about breakfast. I recently tried aebleskivers and loved them to the core. The addition of apples makes it so yum..
Sharmila- The Happie Friends Potpourri corner
April 3, 2018 at 5:07 am
Totally yummy pancakes.. Apple in breakfast is always a thumbs up from my side.. Can wait for the rest of your wonderful recipes..
April 3, 2018 at 1:52 pm
wonderful series, Mayuri 🙂 bookmarking this and look forward to ur series ….
April 4, 2018 at 8:12 am
Perfect recipe for breakfast.. everyone really love it.. mouthwatering.
June 9, 2018 at 7:44 am
Warm apple cinnamon filling inside sounds so comforting. Aebleskiver looks so perfect, soft and absolutely delicious! Kids would go for it without complaining.
June 9, 2018 at 6:00 pm
June 10, 2018 at 10:46 pm
What a neat recipe! This looks delicious and perfect for breakfast!
June 11, 2018 at 12:27 pm
Thank you Lisa.
June 10, 2018 at 11:44 pm
I have an appe pan so I will definitely be make these, I love the addition of the apple and cinnamon filling in them.
June 11, 2018 at 12:26 pm
Thanks Nayna. Please do try the recipe, its a delicious brunch treat.
June 11, 2018 at 6:23 am
It is amazing Mayuri.. I learn so many new recipes from your blog. .. and look at the similarity of the dishes.. these look like appe …iinteresting .
June 11, 2018 at 12:22 pm
Thanks Shobha and yes they do look like appe.
June 12, 2018 at 6:39 pm
These look delightful! Can’t wait to try them – I bet they’re so delicious! 🙂
June 13, 2018 at 9:55 pm
Thank you and they were yummy.
June 13, 2018 at 1:51 am
What a fabulous recipe! I have never heard of this before, but i absolutely adore anything with apple!
June 13, 2018 at 9:48 pm
June 15, 2018 at 12:22 pm
Oh these aebleskivers look delicious. I am looking forward to seeing your breakfast recipes as I am usually so bored with the everyday usual cereals etc.
June 15, 2018 at 8:19 pm
Thank you Mina.
June 19, 2018 at 5:03 am
That is a nice intro about why breakfast is necessary to us. Those aebleskivers with a dusting of sugar looks so inviting.
June 19, 2018 at 11:38 pm
Thank you so much Suma. I cannot imagine going without breakfast.