435. apple dessert pizza
a delightful treat
When Aparna of My Diverse Kitchen suggested we bake pizzas for the ‘We knead to bake September challenge’, I thought yum… the options can be endless. The base and/or topping had to be different from the ones we make usually. I read the posting during my trip to Italy. Everywhere from then I was looking out for a different type of pizza. Unfortunately, didn’t find any except when we stayed in a hotel in Baveno. They served a fruit pizza for breakfast. The fruit was beautifully arranged on the base. That gave me an idea… I would bake a fruit pizza. As other fellow bloggers posted their baked pizzas, most of them were savoury ones so my decision to concentrate on a fruit one became more solid. Initially I wanted to bake a banana chocolate pizza, but the idea of baked banana didn’t sound too appealing. The next best bet was apples. Recipe ready, ingredients ready but I didn’t get time to bake it till today! No power, busy at home, busy with Lionism, busy with community work etc etc. As the saying goes, everything happens at a certain time for a reason. The reason the chance to bake it came today was because today is Nunu’s birthday. Though she is in Mumbai, hubby and I got to have a sweet treat.
|Early morning Lake Maggiore|
|fruit pizza served at Dino Hotel Baveno|
- Put flour in a bowl. Mix in the sugar, salt and yeast.
- Rub oil into the flour.
- Using warm water form a soft dough.
- Lightly flour the work top and knead the dough for 5 minutes till it is smooth and soft.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl.
- Cover with a cling film and let the dough rise till its double the size. This will take about an hour.
- Peel, core and dice the apples.
- Put them in a pan along with the butter and sugar.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat till the apples are done and the sauce is slightly thick.
- Add the cinnamon powder and mix well. Leave the mixture on the side till required.
- Place the flour and sugar in a bowl.
- Add the butter and lightly rub it into the flour mixture.
- Gently knock down the risen dough using your knuckles.
- Divide it into 6 parts if you are making mini ones or into 2 for bigger ones.(6 inch)
- Grease a baking sheet lightly with oil.
- Take one part of the dough and roll it into a circle of 3 inches.
- Place it on the baking tray.
- Roll circles with the remaining dough.
- Let the rolled base rest for ten minutes.
- In the meantime preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Prick the base in a few places with a fork.
- Place it in the oven and bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove the tray from the oven.
- Put the apple topping on each base.
- Top it with the crumble.
- Bake the pizzas for 10 more minutes or till the edges are golden brown.
- Remove the pizzas from the oven and let them cool slightly on a wire rack.
- Mix powdered sugar and milk to form a smooth glace icing.
- Drizzle it over the pizzas.
- Garnish with chopped roasted mixed nuts and serve.
- You can use banana instead of apples. If using bananas no need to precook them. Mix sugar and butter with the bananas and top the bases.
- You can replace the apples with pears.
- Serve the dessert pizza on its own or with some fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
|apple cinnamon icecream|