191. Apple kheer
Dussera is celebrated with much festivity by all Hindus. Burning of effigies of Ravan, havans, poojas, visarjans etc. Basically its the victory of good over evil. However, for most of us it is an excuse to make something sweet and feast. This Dussera I made kheer with a slight difference. I added grated apple and the kheer turned out delicious. Prashant, don’t worry, did remember you. Hopefully will be able to make it for you when I visit Bangalore.
1litre full fat milk
2 cups of grated apples (2 medium apples)
2 tbsps sugar
2 tbsps condensed milk or grated mawa (khoya)
2 tbsps of almond and pistachio slivers
½ tsp cardamom powder
a few strands of saffron
- Boil milk in a saucepan over medium heat for 15 minutes or till it becomes ¾ of the original amount. Stir it occasionally to prevent it from burning at the bottom.
- Add grated mawa or condensed milk and sugar. Boil further for 5 minutes. Remember to stir it.
- Get the grated apples ready. Use any variety you like except the green ones. Peel, core and grate the apples.
- Add the grated apples to the boiling milk. Cook further for 10 minutes till the apples are done. Stir occasionally.
- Add cardamom powder, saffron and mix well.
- Cool the kheer and chill it in the refrigerator.
- Just before serving garnish with almond and pistachio slivers.
- Add nutmeg powder and raisins if you like.
- Try pears instead of apples.
- If you are using sweetened condensed milk, reduce the amount of sugar.
- Use artificial sweetener for diabetics.