348. apple oat muffins
another healthy breakfast option
My daughter had a lone red apple sitting in her fridge and the first thing I thought of making was muffins. Yes, its yet another one from the to try list which is just not getting shorter. I think if I really wanted to try all the recipes I have jotted down in my book from tv shows, magazines or other blogs, I would probably need to make one every single day. Some have not turned out well, and a big cross has been put on them as I just either didn’t like the taste or there was no room for rectification. I am glad that the apple oat muffins were easy to bake and turned out soft and the added advantages are that its a healthy muffin, loaded with apples, oats, brown sugar and little oil.
So finally the lonely apple got changed, along with another I bought to lo behold, yummy muffins. Fresh from the oven made the whole house smell of cinnamon. After having home made muffins, the ready ones at most coffee places seem dry and stale.
APPLE OAT MUFFINS
Makes about 12 to 16
2 cups of peeled and finely chopped apples (about 2 medium ones)
1½ cups plain flour
1 cup quick cooking oats
⅔ cup (approx 10 tbsp or 5oz) lightly packed brown sugar
1½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1 cup plain yogurt
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg
2 to 3 tbsp flaxseeds
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line the muffin tray with cake cups.
- Sieve flour, baking powder, soda bicarbonate, cinnamon powder and salt together.
- Add the oats and mix well.
- Add oil, sugar, egg, vanilla extract, yogurt and milk in a big bowl.
- Whisk well till the oil is mixed in and the mixture is frothy.
- Add the chopped apple to the flour and mix well.
- Add the flour mixture to the liquid and mix till the flour is wet. Do not over mix.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tray.
- Sprinkle the top with flaxseeds.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes till the muffin tops are golden brown and done. To test whether the muffin is done, insert a toothpick or fork into the middle of a muffin. If it comes out clean then the muffins are done.
- Remove the muffins from the tray and place them on a wire rack to cool.
- Add flaxseeds into the batter. Before you do that roast them lightly.
- Top the muffins with some extra oats if you like.
- To make an eggless version, soak 1 tbsp of flaxseed powder in 3 tbsps of water for 10 to 15 minutes. Add this liquid to the liquid mixture before whisking it.
You may want to check out the following:
|red apple cucumber onion salad|
sending this recipe for the following events:
December 17, 2013 at 6:50 pm
Healthy breakfast cake
December 17, 2013 at 6:57 pm
perfectly baked soft muffins.
December 23, 2013 at 9:40 am
this looks soo nice and yumm…thanks for linking at my event