Vegetarian Mushroom Soup
Recipe: Vegetarian Mushroom Soup
Vegetarian Mushroom Soup is wholesome, healthy, creamy and so delicious. Makes a perfect meal during the cold season. I enjoy homemade soups accompanied with some salad and bread as a light meal. Many restaurants serve mushroom soup that has been made in a non vegetarian stock. Packet soups contain too much cornstarch, artificial flavours and additives. Therefore I prefer to make my favourite soup at home.
Mushroom soup is one of my favourite soups. Every time I make it, I remember the mushroom soup that was served at Driftwood in Malindi. While my family were having their choice of fish or chicken, I was not left with much of a choice. It was either vegetable curry or soups. So as the main dish, I decided to have mushroom soup and french fries. Weird combination you may think but better than the vegetable curry.
When my soup arrived, I was surprised! The soup may have been a packet soup but the presentation was fantastic. A huge round bread with the top one third sliced off and the inside scooped out. The soup was in the scooped out bread, the the top slice acted as a cover. Wow! Needless to say, by the time I finished the soup and bread I was too full. I shared the french fries with my family as there was no way I could finish them on my own. I have not been served soup in this manner, anywhere else or neither have I served soup at home in this style. Perhaps I should.
A Bit About Vegetarian Mushroom Soup
Mushroom soup is pretty easy to make as it cooks fast. Sometimes I use a mixture of mushrooms like oyster, button, shiitake. Depends on what is available. Otherwise button mushrooms it is. As for that extra creaminess, sometimes I add a bit of fresh cream at the end. But for a wholesome healthy meal I don’t. No cornstarch or flour is added, making this soup gluten free. Serve the soup topped with some grated cheese if you like. For a vegan version replace dairy milk with any plant based milk. I think almond or oats milk would be good.
Some More Soup Recipes
Ingredients Required For Vegetarian Mushroom Soup
Mushrooms – used mushrooms of your choice. For this recipe I have used only button mushrooms as they are easily available everywhere. Sometimes I use a mixture of button, shiitake, cremini or oyster mushrooms. Total weight should be around 200- 250 grams. Either wipe the mushrooms with a damp cloth or wash them quickly in water to remove the dirt. Don’t soak the mushrooms as they tend to absorb water. Usually a small punnet is between 200-250g.
Potato – I add potato to make the soup a bit thick and creamy. If you are using fresh cream then you can omit the potato. Peel and cut into cubes.
Onion – used any, red, white or yellow. Peel and chop the onion. Use a small quantity as you don’t want an overpowering flavour of onion.
Garlic – now this is one ingredient I use on the extra side. Mushrooms and garlic pair well. Add according to your taste. Peel and chop the garlic.
Water/Stock – use either. I usually save up water in which vegetables are boiled. If you don’t have that then use water.
Milk – I use dairy milk. For vegan version replace it with oat or almond milk.
Olive Oil – if you don’t have olive oil then use any odourless oil of your choice.
Butter – I like the flavour of mushrooms and butter. Therefore I add a bit. However, you can omit adding it.
Salt – add according to your taste.
Pepper – fresh black pepper powder.
Herbs – feel free to use fresh or dried herbs. I have used mixed dried herbs. Can use oregano, thyme, rosemary work well.
Garnish – can use mushroom slices. Save some before pureeing the mixture. Can add fresh herbs, chilli flakes, cheese, etc.
Watch How To Make Vegetarian Mushroom Soup
VEGETARIAN MUSHROOM SOUP
- 200-250g g mushrooms sliced
- 1 medium potato
- ¼ cup onion peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter optional
- 1 cup water or stock
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp dried herbs
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp coarse pepper powder
- Heat oil and butter in a pan over medium heat.
- Stir fry the chopped onion and garlic till they become a bit soft.
- Add the potato cubes. Stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms. Saute till they become a bit soft.
- Remove some mushroom slices and keep on the slide if you want to use it for garnishing.
- Add the stock or water. Cover the pan and allow the mixture to simmer till the potato cubes are done.
- Add milk and mix well.
- Blend the mixture to a smooth consistency.
- Add it back into the pan.
- Add salt, herbs and pepper. Gently heat the soup till it becomes hot. Do not allow it to boil.
- Spoon the soup into individual bowls.
- Garnish with your choice of topping.
- Add cream if you want to.
- Use different varieties of mushrooms.
- Vary the consistency of the soup according to your preference, by adding a bit more milk or stock.
For vegan version, omit butter and replace dairy milk with plant based milk.
- Adjust spices according to your taste.
- Serve with garnish of your choice, mushroom slices, cheese, fresh herbs, chilli flakes, croutons, etc.
Pin For Later
Sharing This Recipe With The Foodies _ Redoing Old Posts
This recipe was first published on 15/06/2012. Updated with new photos, write up and video.
A Little Request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962