80. mum’s soup
Nairobi Show for many years was a big event for our family. Every year we would have a stall there displaying the huge train layout and selling mainly toys and hobby stuff like trains, balsam wood, airplane kits,scalextric, meccano, playpex etc. During this time, whoever looked after the stall could not come home for lunch so my mum would pack lunch from home. It had to be something simple yet filling. One of the things I remember she would pack was a simple vegetable soup with very simple cucumber and tomato sandwiches. At that time there were no fancy spreads or hardly anyone in our family had heard of mayonnaise. It was buttered bread, with cucumber and tomato slices, along with this no fuss simple soup. Over the years I have made this soup whenever anyone is recovering from an illness or as a simple quick meal. Mum didn’t add any fancy herbs or stock but it was the most yummiest soup. I have tried out this soup adding leek, zucchini, mushrooms, cabbage,onions but it didn’t taste the same.
4 cups of mixed diced vegetables. The vegetables are peas, carrots, french beans, cauliflower, potato and corn.
1 clove garlic finely chopped
1 tomato finely chopped
3 cups water
1 tsp salt
1 tsp coarsely ground pepper
- The vegetables should be diced small and not big chunks.
- Put the water, vegetables, garlic, tomato and salt in a pressure cooker.
- Cook for 1 whistle. If you don’t have a pressure cooker, then simmer it over medium heat till the vegetables are done.
- Add pepper just before serving.
- Can add a ¼ cup of chopped fresh coriander before serving.
- I sometimes add about ½ cup of pasta along with the vegetables before cooking. This way I could get the kids to have the soup especially when they were sick.
|tomato carrot soup