Broccoli Coconut Soup
Broccoli Coconut Soup
Broccoli Coconut Soup is a homemade, creamy, vegan, gluten free, healthy and filling soup. Easy to make, chopped almonds add a crunch to this delicious soup.
Weather in Mombasa
A bit of a drizzle and most of us in Mombasa presume that the cold season has begun. Its time to have hot bhajias, hot soup, any hot comfort food. On a serious note it never gets that cold in Mombasa to have those kind of urges. That does not mean we do not make soups and bhajias(fritters). We just set the air conditioner on a lower setting to feel cold! Rainy season brings on some flooding in some parts of Kenya. Rivers overflow, villages get destructed, roads and bridges get washed off. In the urban areas, flooding is largely due to man. Rubbish thrown in drainages, cement walls and surfaces blocking flow of water. This happens in Mombasa too. A bit of rain and the roads get flooded.
Updated : 23/01/2021
This recipe was first posted in 2012. I’ve made broccoli several times with a few changes. Different herbs, with milk, without milk, etc. However, broccoli coconut soup remains my favorite. Ordered some broccoli from the veggie shop and got a huge head. Besides enjoying a bit of stir fried broccoli with garlic, the rest obviously turned into soup.
Benefits of Including Broccoli in your diet
Broccoli is considered a superfood as its packed with many healthy benefits.
- Packed with natural soluble fiber it helps to control cholesterol.
- Its rich in Omega 3 fatty acids which act as anti inflammatory.
- Broccoli is said to help in reducing estrogen in the body which causes breast and uterine cancer.
- Its a rich source of Vitamin C so helps build immunity.
- A good source of calcium and Vitamin K which are essential for building strong bones
- Aids digestion as its rich in fiber.
Consider adding broccoli to your daily diet in various ways, make soups, use them in salads, add them to stir fries, add them to rice, pasta, curries. Add grated broccoli to stuffed parathas, patties etc.
Some Broccoli Recipes you may want to check out
Ingredients required for Broccoli Coconut Soup
Broccoli – fresh or frozen, cut into small florets.
Potato – small one, peeled and cut into cubes.
Onion – white or red, peeled and chopped
Garlic – peeled and chopped
Fresh Coriander/ Cilantro – washed and chopped roughly with the stems.
Oil – either olive oil or coconut oil. I have used olive oil.
Coconut Milk – I’ve used canned coconut milk.
Vegetable Stock – if you don’t have any, use normal tap water.
Nutmeg Powder – for flavour
Pepper Powder – for flavour
Salt – any of your choice.
Almonds – cut them into slivers or chop roughly
- Gluten Free
- For Satvik version omit onion and garlic.
Pin it for later:
BROCCOLI COCONUT SOUP
- 2 cups broccoli florets small
- 1 small potato peeled and cubed
- 1 small onion peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- ½ cup fresh coriander chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups coconut milk
- ½ cup water or stock
- ¼ tsp nutmeg powder
- ¼ tsp pepper powder
- 8-10 almonds cut into slivers or roughly chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add chopped onion, potato and garlic.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook the vegetables for 2-3 minutes over low heat.
- Add stock or water, cover the pan and cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli florets and stir. Cook for 2 minutes. Don't overcook the broccoli.
- Add coconut milk.
- Puree the mixture along with the coriander.
- Return the pureed mixture into the pan. Gently heat up the soup.
- Add salt, nutmeg and pepper powder.
- Just before serving garnish with almond flakes.
- If you like, add a small green chilli when you saute the potatoes and onion.
- Adjust the salt according to your preference.
- If you find the soup too thick, just add a bit more of water, stock or coconut milk.
- Add chilli flakes if you like.
Pin for Later
A little request
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email email@example.com
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962