Tomato Carrot Soup
EVENT: FOODIES_ REDOING OLD POSTS #40
RECIPE: TOMATO CARROT SOUP
Tomato Carrot Soup
Tomato Carrot Soup is an easy to make, delicious, creamy soup. Doesn’t require many ingredients and the best part is that you can either roast the ingredients or simply stir fry and cook them in a pot. If I’m not time constrained then I prefer to roast the tomatoes, carrots, onion and garlic. If I want a soup in a jiffy then I simply saute the ingredients in a pan with some oil or butter. After adding the water or stock allow it cook for a bit and puree.
Tomato Carrot Soup
I’m a huge fan of tomato soup and can have it practically everyday. In fact I make a huge batch and keep some in the fridge to take care of hunger pangs. Did you know that having a cup of soup helps to curb hunger? Also cuts down on the meal portion you normally would have. While ready made tomato soups are slightly acidic, which I don’t like, homemade soups allows you to control what you add to it. To cut down on the tanginess and to add some creaminess without the cream I like to add carrots too.
Some Soup Recipes you can sip on
- Moong Dal Shorba/ Moong Dal Soup – a creamy soup made from moong dal and coconut milk.
- Using whole green moong and celery leaves, Moong and Celery Leaves Soup is creamy, delicious and filling.
- Adding a bit of curried chickpeas makes Cauliflower and Chickpea Soup interesting and flavorful.
- Corn Potato Cheddar Soup – another creamy and yummy soup with cheddar cheese added for that creaminess and taste.
- Shorbat Adas or Middle Eastern Lentil Soup with warm spices is creamy and filling. Its made from split Puy or lentils, the orange one.
- Roasted Pepper Soup – I’m totally amazed how bell peppers can be turned into a super delicious soup. Go on check out the recipe.
- Roasted Pumpkin & Salsa Soup – just a bit of salsa topping on the soup makes its delish.
- Butternut Squash Soup with a bit of chilli powder is a delightful soup to sip on during the cold season.
- My other favourite soup is a creamy Mushroom Soup, smooth, silky and delightful.
- Carrot Soup with some spices and sour cream or yogurt is a comforting soup to sip on.
- Beetroot Tomato Soup creamy, naturally sweet with flavors of ginger and garlic.
- Leek Potato Soup – an easy to make classic soup
- Broccoli Soup – smooth, creamy and with almond flakes tastes really good.
- Renu’s Carrot Beetroot and Horse Gram Sprouts Soup is comforting and nutritious. Love how she has added horse gram sprouts which are so healthy.
THE GROUP FOODIES _ REDOING OLD POSTS
This group was started by Renu, who blogs at Cook with Renu. The whole purpose of this group is to redo old posts with new photos, new write up, whatever one wants to do to make the post better. Most of my posts are about re writing the post in a more structured manner and of course updating the photos. Slowly but surely, going through so many of my old posts. I’m grateful that this group helps me stay focused on a task that needs much attention.
Two Ways to Make Tomato Carrot Soup
In a Pot – Heat oil or butter in a pot or pan, and chopped onion, carrots, garlic, tomatoes are sautéed for 2-3 minutes. Cover the pan and allow the vegetables to sweat for 2-3 minutes. Add stock or water and cover the pan. Allow the vegetables to cook till just done. Puree the mixture, strain and return the mixture to the pan or pot. Heat it gently, add salt and pepper and serve.
Roasted – Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Layer the tomatoes, carrots, onion and garlic on a greased tray. Drizzle oil over it and roast for 20-25 minutes. Puree the roasted vegetables with stock or water. Add to a pot or pan along with salt and pepper. Heat gently and serve.
Ingredients required for Tomato Carrot Soup
- Tomatoes – fresh ripe ones
- Carrots – peeled and cut into chunks
- Onion – cut into half or quartered
- Garlic – peeled
- Olive oil – or any oil of your choice
- Water or vegetable stock – add according to how thick or thin you want the soup to be
- Salt – any of your choice
- Pepper – coarse or finely ground
- Gluten Free
- Low in Fat
TOMATO CARROT SOUP
- 6 large tomatoes cut into chunks
- 2 medium carrots peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 2 cups water or stock
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper powder
- Preheat an oven at 180°C.
- Grease a baking tray lightly with some olive oil.
- Layer the chopped vegetables in the tray. Make sure the cut side of tomatoes are facing up.
- Roast them for 20-25 minutes or till just done
- Remove the tray from the oven.
- Transfer the roasted vegetables to a blender.
- Add water or stock and blend till its smooth.
- Strain the mixture using a sieve or strainer.
- Pour the soup in a pan, add the salt and pepper and heat it gently just before serving.
- Serve with grated cheese or croutons.
- To make healthy croutons, cut slices of bread into cubes.Drizzle a bit of olive oil. Add salt and herb. Place it on a baking tray and bake at 150°C till they become crunchy.
- Add dried or fresh herbs of your choice if you like while heating up the soup.
Pin for Later
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962
January 27, 2016 at 9:29 pm
Couldn't live without tomatoes!!
December 29, 2020 at 5:18 am
Tomato and carrot soup looks so vibrant. A perfect soup to enjoy during cold days. Tomato gives tanginess to the soup whereas carrot balances the sweetness..
December 29, 2020 at 3:38 pm
Thank you so much Amrita. Yes both add a balance of flavors.
Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche
January 29, 2016 at 1:41 pm
This looks yummy, I love that it's pure vegetables with no oil – you're right, a really healthy start to a meal.
January 29, 2016 at 6:47 pm
Nor can I, and love tomato soup 🙂
January 29, 2016 at 6:48 pm
November 4, 2018 at 6:03 am
Tomato soup looks creamy and delicious to drink. I too add carrots in tomato soup. Perfect for winters and if we can get cooked by some one else then sone pe suhaga 🙂
November 4, 2018 at 8:20 am
Thanks Bhawana, that’s true is someone else makes it for us..then its the best, but that’s like a dream 😉
Bless my food by Payal
January 3, 2021 at 1:07 pm
I can’t restrain myself from saying that this is one of the simple yet delicious soup recipe I have ever come across. Roasting veggies in oven must be adding much flavours to the soup. Going to try it some day for sure.
January 3, 2021 at 4:51 pm
Thank you so much, I agree with you its the simplest and most flavorful soup.
November 4, 2018 at 6:14 am
I love this soup made with carrots and tomatoes.. Come winters and a bowl of hot soup is what I love for lunch every day.
November 4, 2018 at 8:19 am
Thanks Shobha..I too love soups and this is one is my favorite.
November 4, 2018 at 6:09 pm
I am so looking forward to the month of Dec when Mumbai experiences winters and make myself bowls of these for dinner. The carrot gives a lovely colour to the otherwise delicious tomato soup and natural sweetness too but I still go ahead and add some jaggery and happily gobble it down with a dash of pepper.
November 11, 2018 at 9:59 pm
My favorite soup and I don’t add jaggery at all. Love the tangy and slightly sweet taste.
December 29, 2020 at 4:18 am
Delicious soup perfect for the cold weather. I am in love with the gorgeous colour of the soup. Give me a warm bowl of soup and it is a complete meal for me.
December 29, 2020 at 3:38 pm
Thank you so much Preethi. I too can make a whole meal out of a soup.
December 29, 2020 at 8:47 am
Ahhh! Bliss! I love soups not only because they are great tasting flavorful delicious but because 2 cups of soup and everyone is I am full. 😀
You are tempting me to chuck my meal plan out of the window n make just soup. Delicious soup.
December 29, 2020 at 3:35 pm
Thank you so much Archana, I go through phases when I want to have soups only for dinner. The hot weather is not a deterrent.
December 29, 2020 at 5:08 pm
I too love tomato soup. Adding carrots not only gives a good texture but makes it healthier too. Sometimes, I add a little beet too. Your soup looks flavoursome.
December 31, 2020 at 5:37 pm
Thank you Jayashree, I sometimes make a tomato beet soup too. All depends on what ingredients I have at hand.
January 2, 2021 at 4:53 am
Roasting the vegetable is such a great idea to make the soup. Love the flavor of roasted tomato soup. I have not tried using carrots yet and I will add a couple next time when I make it.
January 2, 2021 at 9:24 pm
Thanks Sandhya, roasted veggies just taste so different. Also the carrots add a natural sweetness to balance the tanginess.
January 5, 2021 at 4:10 pm
Great recipe. Tomatoes with carrots – this sounds so delicious and healthy. Loved the roasted version, will try it for sure. Thanks for sharing this recipe
January 5, 2021 at 10:37 pm
Thank you so much Vandana. Enjoy the roasted version of tomato soup.
January 5, 2021 at 9:03 pm
This easy peasy, creamy, flavourful, nutritious tomamto carrot soup is our favourite. But roasting the veges is what I liked the most.
Going forward i am gonna make my soup your way.
Thanks for sharing.
January 5, 2021 at 10:32 pm
Thank you so much Lata.
January 6, 2021 at 12:35 am
I make tomato and carrot soup often, but our pressure cooker way. Never roasted it , do that with butternut squash. I will try this version next time and yes with the addition of onion too.
January 6, 2021 at 7:02 pm
Thanks Renu, try the roasted one.. like me you may stop using the pressure cooker to make soups.
Rafeeda – The Big Sweet Tooth
January 6, 2021 at 2:50 pm
This soup must have been truly delicious! I love a roasted soup more than one cooked on top of the stove, since it gives an additional layer of flavor altogether… Beautiful clicks…
January 6, 2021 at 6:00 pm
Thank you so much Rafeeda, I too prefer roasting the vegetables for soups whenever possible.
January 7, 2021 at 8:22 am
This is one of our favorite soups! we make often during winter days. This looks creamy and delicous.
January 7, 2021 at 5:39 pm
Thank you so much Uma, I too love tomato soup.
January 8, 2021 at 5:36 pm
thats an eye popping bowl of delicuousness.. my family’s love for soups has me always looking for new ones… this is soooo good !
January 9, 2021 at 4:41 pm
January 9, 2021 at 12:00 am
Of late I look forward to refreshing soups when I get home from work. Simply love this colour of this soup that gorgeous carrot colour intensified by the tomatoes, yum.
January 9, 2021 at 4:41 pm
Thank you so much Seema.
January 9, 2021 at 12:52 am
I have tried carrot and tomato soup separately but never thought of making it together. This soup is apt for a cold winter night as a hearty meal.
January 9, 2021 at 4:39 pm
Thank you Sapana, I usually combine other veggies with tomatoes for variation.
January 15, 2021 at 7:38 pm
Wow roasting the veggies must bring out so much flavors, i m a personal fan of roasting, as i dont have to stand and stir ! Such a vibrant and delicious soup!!
January 15, 2021 at 9:19 pm
Thank you so much Priya, I too love roasting the vegetables.
January 2, 2022 at 3:39 pm
This is my go-to recipe on those cold winter days, and those addition of croutons makes it heavenly, I have to stop myself from adding lots of those in the soup 🙂
January 3, 2022 at 9:44 pm
Thank you so much Bhavana. I too love adding croutons and can load the soup with too much. I usually bake the croutons rather than frying them.