Tomato Carrot Soup
EVENT: FOODIES_ REDOING OLD POSTS #40
RECIPE: TOMATO CARROT SOUP
Tomato Carrot Soup
Tomato Carrot Soup is an easy to make, delicious, creamy soup. Doesn’t require many ingredients and the best part is that you can either roast the ingredients or simply stir fry and cook them in a pot. If I’m not time constrained then I prefer to roast the tomatoes, carrots, onion and garlic. If I want a soup in a jiffy then I simply saute the ingredients in a pan with some oil or butter. After adding the water or stock allow it cook for a bit and puree.
Tomato Carrot Soup
I’m a huge fan of tomato soup and can have it practically everyday. In fact I make a huge batch and keep some in the fridge to take care of hunger pangs. Did you know that having a cup of soup helps to curb hunger? Also cuts down on the meal portion you normally would have. While ready made tomato soups are slightly acidic, which I don’t like, homemade soups allows you to control what you add to it. To cut down on the tanginess and to add some creaminess without the cream I like to add carrots too.
Some Soup Recipes you can sip on
- Moong Dal Shorba/ Moong Dal Soup – a creamy soup made from moong dal and coconut milk.
- Using whole green moong and celery leaves, Moong and Celery Leaves Soup is creamy, delicious and filling.
- Adding a bit of curried chickpeas makes Cauliflower and Chickpea Soup interesting and flavorful.
- Corn Potato Cheddar Soup – another creamy and yummy soup with cheddar cheese added for that creaminess and taste.
- Shorbat Adas or Middle Eastern Lentil Soup with warm spices is creamy and filling. Its made from split Puy or lentils, the orange one.
- Roasted Pepper Soup – I’m totally amazed how bell peppers can be turned into a super delicious soup. Go on check out the recipe.
- Roasted Pumpkin & Salsa Soup – just a bit of salsa topping on the soup makes its delish.
- Butternut Squash Soup with a bit of chilli powder is a delightful soup to sip on during the cold season.
- My other favourite soup is a creamy Mushroom Soup, smooth, silky and delightful.
- Carrot Soup with some spices and sour cream or yogurt is a comforting soup to sip on.
- Beetroot Tomato Soup creamy, naturally sweet with flavors of ginger and garlic.
- Leek Potato Soup – an easy to make classic soup
- Broccoli Soup – smooth, creamy and with almond flakes tastes really good.
- Renu’s Carrot Beetroot and Horse Gram Sprouts Soup is comforting and nutritious. Love how she has added horse gram sprouts which are so healthy.
THE GROUP FOODIES _ REDOING OLD POSTS
This group was started by Renu, who blogs at Cook with Renu. The whole purpose of this group is to redo old posts with new photos, new write up, whatever one wants to do to make the post better. Most of my posts are about re writing the post in a more structured manner and of course updating the photos. Slowly but surely, going through so many of my old posts. I’m grateful that this group helps me stay focused on a task that needs much attention.
Two Ways to Make Tomato Carrot Soup
In a Pot – Heat oil or butter in a pot or pan, and chopped onion, carrots, garlic, tomatoes are sautéed for 2-3 minutes. Cover the pan and allow the vegetables to sweat for 2-3 minutes. Add stock or water and cover the pan. Allow the vegetables to cook till just done. Puree the mixture, strain and return the mixture to the pan or pot. Heat it gently, add salt and pepper and serve.
Roasted – Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Layer the tomatoes, carrots, onion and garlic on a greased tray. Drizzle oil over it and roast for 20-25 minutes. Puree the roasted vegetables with stock or water. Add to a pot or pan along with salt and pepper. Heat gently and serve.
Ingredients required for Tomato Carrot Soup
- Tomatoes – fresh ripe ones
- Carrots – peeled and cut into chunks
- Onion – cut into half or quartered
- Garlic – peeled
- Olive oil – or any oil of your choice
- Water or vegetable stock – add according to how thick or thin you want the soup to be
- Salt – any of your choice
- Pepper – coarse or finely ground
- Gluten Free
- Low in Fat
TOMATO CARROT SOUP
- 6 large tomatoes cut into chunks
- 2 medium carrots peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 2 cups water or stock
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper powder
- Preheat an oven at 180°C.
- Grease a baking tray lightly with some olive oil.
- Layer the chopped vegetables in the tray. Make sure the cut side of tomatoes are facing up.
- Roast them for 20-25 minutes or till just done
- Remove the tray from the oven.
- Transfer the roasted vegetables to a blender.
- Add water or stock and blend till its smooth.
- Strain the mixture using a sieve or strainer.
- Pour the soup in a pan, add the salt and pepper and heat it gently just before serving.
- Serve with grated cheese or croutons.
- To make healthy croutons, cut slices of bread into cubes.Drizzle a bit of olive oil. Add salt and herb. Place it on a baking tray and bake at 150°C till they become crunchy.
- Add dried or fresh herbs of your choice if you like while heating up the soup.
Pin for Later
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email email@example.com
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962