Apple Celery Soup
EVENTS: SUNDAY FUNDAY
THEME: C IS FOR CELERY
RECIPE: APPLE CELERY SOUP
Apple Celery Soup is easy to make, healthy, comforting, delicious home made soup. Ideal way to include celery in your diet. Well at least if you have ‘don’t like celery’ people in your family. While I enjoy tender celery sticks with cream cheese or finely chopped in salads, hubby is not a fan of raw celery.
Therefore, the only way to get some celery included in his diet is through soups, in casseroles and occasionally in a juice if paired with fruits.
Actually, come to think of it, I will not pick up celery like say we pick up potatoes or mushrooms at the grocery. It is bought if I have a specific recipe in mind. I like apple celery soup because of the balance of flavours it offers and the slight creaminess without the cream. With so many different varieties of apples the taste of the soup depends on them. Use green ones only and you get a slightly tangy taste. Use honey crisp and you will get a slight honey taste.
Sunday Funday is a group of Food Bloggers. Every Sunday we share some fun, traditional, hearty or easy recipes to make Sunday Family Meals a bit more exciting. To join this fun group, visit the Sunday Funday Facebook Page. Request to join in.
Theme: C Is For Celery
Wendy who blogs at A Day in the Life on the Farm suggested we use celery in a recipe to celebrate the National Month of Celery which is in the month of March. I am looking forward to the recipes that fellow members will share. Gives me a chance to include more celery in our diet.
Some Celery Dishes On My Blog
- I don’t throw away celery leaves, I try and include the tender crisp ones in a juice. Celery Greens and Apple Juice is a refreshingly health drink to enjoy.
- Moong and Celery Leaves Soup is a healthy, creamy and filling soup. Another good way to use up celery leaves.
- Minestrone Soup doesn’t taste the same without celery.
Check Out Some Celery Recipes From Fellow Members Of Sunday Funday
- Apple Celery Soup from Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Bacon, Celery, & Pecan Stuffed Celery from Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Celery and Kale Paratha from Cook with Renu
- Celery Steak from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Gin and Celery Tonic from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Homemade Celery Salt from Food Lust People Love
- Pulled Chicken & Celery Sandwiches by Sneha’s Recipe
- Slow-Roasted Celery from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Stir-Fried Shrimp with Chinese Celery from Palatable Pastime
Ingredients Required For Apple Celery Soup
- Celery – stalks and a few leaves
- Apples – If using organic apples, there is no need to peel them. Core and chop into chunks.
- Potato – peeled and cut into chunks.
- Onion – peel and chop into chunks. Use any onion of your choice, red, white or yellow.
- Garlic – peeled and cut into pieces.
- Ginger – peeled and chopped roughly.
- Coriander Powder
- Turmeric Powder
- Salt – add according to your taste.
- Pepper – add according to your taste.
- Olive Oil – or butter.
- Vegetable Stock or Water
- Lemon Juice
APPLE CELERY SOUP
- 200 g apples cored and chopped
- 200 g celery stalks chopped
- 1 medium potato peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion peeled and chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic peeled and sliced
- 1 inch ginger peeled and chopped
- ½ cup celery leaves chopped
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp pepper powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- 3 cups vegetable stock or water
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion garlic and ginger. Saute till the onion becomes soft.
- Add celery, apples and potato. Mix well.
- Cover the pan and allow the mixture to cook or sweat for 5 minutes over low heat.
- Add the stock or water. Simmer the mixture till the potato and celery stalks are cooked.
- Allow the mixture to cool a bit. Add celery leaves.
- Puree or blend the mixture in a food processor.
- Pass the liquid through a sieve. This will help to catch any celery fibres or strings.
- Return the soup to the saucepan.
- Add salt, pepper, turmeric powder and lemon juice.
- Heat the soup gently and NOT to a rolling boil.
- Serve hot soup with your favourite bread and lemon slices.
- Use tender fresh celery leaves.
- Use any apples of your choice.
- Wash celery stalks properly before chopping and cooking.
- If you get organic apples then you don't need to peel them.
Pin For Later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962
March 6, 2022 at 6:21 am
This is a wonderful soup. Love the flavor profile.
March 6, 2022 at 1:54 pm
Thank you so much Wendy.
Karen’s Kitchen Stories
March 6, 2022 at 1:57 pm
Great way to get the benefits of celery into hubby’s diet! This soup sounds wonderful.
March 10, 2022 at 9:09 pm
Thank you so much Karen. He doesn’t throw up a fuss when celery is served in a soup form 🙂
March 6, 2022 at 4:44 pm
I have the same problem with my younger daughter not liking raw celery so I’m looking forward to trying your soup for dinner one night, Mayuri. It sounds and looks delicious!
March 8, 2022 at 10:16 pm
Thank you Stacy, am sure the family will enjoy it.
March 9, 2022 at 12:20 pm
Wow I am loving this recipe with all the ingredients that are available here locally and easily. And the bonus is made using celery, which I find difficult to add to kids diet. Bookmarking this to try soon.
March 9, 2022 at 8:10 pm
Thanks Renu, it definitely is a good way to feed the family celery especially since the soup is pureed.
March 11, 2022 at 8:58 am
I will say this is a great way to use celery in a recipe. I tend not to use it much. Putting it in soup combined with apples sounds delicious and nutritious.
March 11, 2022 at 3:46 pm
Thank you Gloria, it sure is a good way to use celery.
March 11, 2022 at 2:33 pm
Oh wow! This is such a delicious soup. I love the flavor of apples and celery and has the right balance of flavors.
March 11, 2022 at 3:45 pm
Thank you so much Sandhya.
March 14, 2022 at 5:14 am
What an interesting combo, apple and celery. Sounds delicious. I’ll give this a try for sure.
March 14, 2022 at 4:42 pm
Thanks Natalie, enjoy when you try out the recipe.
March 23, 2022 at 3:36 am
Apple celery Soup sounds good. This is a good way to include celery for all those who fuss eating it.
March 24, 2022 at 6:29 am
Thanks Jayashree and yes best way to sneak in celery in one’s diet.
March 23, 2022 at 8:53 am
Healthy delicious soup and an innovative way to sneak in the celery which is very good! Love the flavor profile
March 24, 2022 at 6:26 am
Thanks Priya, yes it is a good way to sneak in celery for the family to enjoy.
March 24, 2022 at 2:58 am
The mild contrast of flavours from apple and celery sounds and looks delish. We are always for new Soup varieties anytime of the year 👍
March 24, 2022 at 6:24 am
Thanks Kalyani, apples and celery make a great combination. Do try out the recipe.