Apple Celery Soup
Recipe: Apple Celery Soup
Apple Celery Soup is easy to make, healthy, comforting, delicious home made soup. Ideal way to include celery in your diet. Well at least if you have ‘don’t like celery’ people in your family. While I enjoy tender celery sticks with cream cheese or finely chopped in salads, hubby is not a fan of raw celery.
Therefore, the only way to get some celery included in his diet is through soups, in casseroles and occasionally in a juice if paired with fruits.
Actually, come to think of it, I will not pick up celery like say we pick up potatoes or mushrooms at the grocery. It is bought if I have a specific recipe in mind. I like apple celery soup because of the balance of flavours it offers and the slight creaminess without the cream. With so many different varieties of apples the taste of the soup depends on them. Use green ones only and you get a slightly tangy taste. Use honey crisp and you will get a slight honey taste.
Sunday Funday is a group of Food Bloggers. Every Sunday we share some fun, traditional, hearty or easy recipes to make Sunday Family Meals a bit more exciting. To join this fun group, visit the Sunday Funday Facebook Page. Request to join in.
Theme: C Is For Celery
Wendy who blogs at A Day in the Life on the Farm suggested we use celery in a recipe to celebrate the National Month of Celery which is in the month of March. I am looking forward to the recipes that fellow members will share. Gives me a chance to include more celery in our diet.
Some Celery Dishes On My Blog
- I don’t throw away celery leaves, I try and include the tender crisp ones in a juice. Celery Greens and Apple Juice is a refreshingly health drink to enjoy.
- Moong and Celery Leaves Soup is a healthy, creamy and filling soup. Another good way to use up celery leaves.
- Minestrone Soup doesn’t taste the same without celery.
Check Out Some Celery Recipes From Fellow Members Of Sunday Funday
- Apple Celery Soup from Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Bacon, Celery, & Pecan Stuffed Celery from Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Celery and Kale Paratha from Cook with Renu
- Celery Steak from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Gin and Celery Tonic from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Homemade Celery Salt from Food Lust People Love
- Pulled Chicken & Celery Sandwiches by Sneha’s Recipe
- Slow-Roasted Celery from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Stir-Fried Shrimp with Chinese Celery from Palatable Pastime
Ingredients Required For Apple Celery Soup
- Celery – stalks and a few leaves
- Apples – If using organic apples, there is no need to peel them. Core and chop into chunks.
- Potato – peeled and cut into chunks.
- Onion – peel and chop into chunks. Use any onion of your choice, red, white or yellow.
- Garlic – peeled and cut into pieces.
- Ginger – peeled and chopped roughly.
- Coriander Powder
- Turmeric Powder
- Salt – add according to your taste.
- Pepper – add according to your taste.
- Olive Oil – or butter.
- Vegetable Stock or Water
- Lemon Juice
APPLE CELERY SOUP
- 200 g apples cored and chopped
- 200 g celery stalks chopped
- 1 medium potato peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion peeled and chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic peeled and sliced
- 1 inch ginger peeled and chopped
- ½ cup celery leaves chopped
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp pepper powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- 3 cups vegetable stock or water
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion garlic and ginger. Saute till the onion becomes soft.
- Add celery, apples and potato. Mix well.
- Cover the pan and allow the mixture to cook or sweat for 5 minutes over low heat.
- Add the stock or water. Simmer the mixture till the potato and celery stalks are cooked.
- Allow the mixture to cool a bit. Add celery leaves.
- Puree or blend the mixture in a food processor.
- Pass the liquid through a sieve. This will help to catch any celery fibres or strings.
- Return the soup to the saucepan.
- Add salt, pepper, turmeric powder and lemon juice.
- Heat the soup gently and NOT to a rolling boil.
- Serve hot soup with your favourite bread and lemon slices.
- Use tender fresh celery leaves.
- Use any apples of your choice.
- Wash celery stalks properly before chopping and cooking.
- If you get organic apples then you don't need to peel them.
Pin For Later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email email@example.com
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962