Corn & Mushroom Soup
Recipe: Corn & Mushroom Soup
Corn & Mushroom Soup is a flavourful, filling, vegan,easy to make and versatile soup. Add noodles, tofu, vegetables of your choice and you have a new soup in a jiffy.
Yesterday as I sat down at my bedroom window to type out this post, the internet suddenly disappeared. Looked up and saw thick black smoke coming out from a building in the distance. Hubby and I couldn’t pin point exactly which building was on fire. Our mobiles started pinging… messages pouring in that the building housing Africaonline was on fire. Africaonline is an internet provider. No wonder the internet went off.
We were praying that no one is injured or worse. Mombasa Fire Brigade don’t even have the equipment to manage tall building fires. And water is another issue. It seemed the fire started on the 8th floor. Without ladders to reach up there and hardly an pressure in the hose pipes, don’t know how the fire was put off. Luckily, people working and visiting the building were able to leave the building on time.
Corn & Mushroom Soup
A slight change in the weather in Mombasa where evenings get a bit cooler, hubby and I enjoy homemade soups. Well, actually if left to him he wouldn’t mind the ready packet soups. I am not a big fan of them. Corn & Mushroom Soup is one of my favourite soups. I make it often at home as the one available in the Chinese Restaurant usually has chicken in it.
What I like about this soup is its versatility. Add noodles, other vegetables, protein like tofu, meat, sea food, etc. Make it hot and sour, make it as thick or thin as you like. Possibilities are endless.
The Group: Foodies_Redoing Old Posts
This group started by Renu who blogs at Cook With Renu, helps us to redo old posts, be it with photos, writing or even updated versions of the recipe. And some I update them with videos.
A turn in the weather from hot summer days to a full day of rain called for some hot soup. Hubby requested I make some Chinese | Indo Chinese style soup. Had corn and mushroom in the fridge so got the opportunity to update my corn & mushroom soup.
First Published on 22/05/2013. Updated on 02/09/2022.
Some More Soup Recipes To Check Out
Ingredients Required For Corn & Mushroom Soup
- Mushrooms – use any mushrooms of your choice. I have used button mushrooms. You can use shiitake, crema, enoki, etc.
- Sweet Corn – if you get tender corn, no need to precook it. I have used cooked corn as that is what I had in my fridge.
- Onion – used red, white or yellow. Peel and chop finely.
- French Beans – trim the ends. Cut into nearly the same size as the corn kernels.
- Carrot – peel and dice, nearly the same size as the corn kernel.
- Garlic – peel and sliced or minced.
- Ginger – fresh ginger either paste or cut into thin slivers.
- Cornflour – also known as corn starch. Add according to how thick or thin you want the soup base. For a more broth kind of soup omit it.
- Stock/ Water – use homemade stock or ready made. Or simply use tap water.
- Water – little water is required to make the cornflour slurry.
- Salt – add according to your taste. Be careful as some stocks already contain a bit of salt. Also soy sauce tends to be salty.
- Pepper – Add according to your taste.
- Vinegar – I prefer to use rice vinegar. Use any good quality vinegar of your choice. Add according to your taste.
- Oil – use any odourless oil of your choice like canola, sunflower. Or you can use sesame seed oil. I prefer using that for Chinese and Indo Chinese DIshes.
- Soy Sauce – use dark or light. If you use dark, add less. For gluten free, check the label that it does not contain wheat flour.
- Chilli Sauce – use ready made Chinese chilli sauce or homemade one. Check out this one.
SWEET CORN AND MUSHROOM SOUP
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- ½ cup sweet corn cooked
- ¼ cup french beans finely chopped
- ¼ cup carrot diced
- ¼ cup onion finely chopped
- 2- 3 cloves of garlic peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger paste or thin slivers of ginger
- 1-2 tbsp cornflour
- 3 cups water or stock
- ¼ cup water
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- ½ - 1 tsp chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- some spring onion chopped for garnishing
- Mix cornflour in a ¼ cup of water and keep on the side till required.
- In a deep pan heat the oil over high heat.
- When it is hot, add the onion, garlic, ginger, carrot and french beans. Stir fry for a minute or two.
- Add mushrooms and sweet corn. Stir fry for 30 seconds or so.
- Add the water or stock. Bring the soup to a gentle boil.
- Add the cornflour mixture, stirring the soup all the time. Stir till it begins to thicken slightly.
- Add salt, soy sauce, vinegar and chilli sauce. Mix and serve.
- Serve with some extra soy sauce and chilli sauce on the side.
- I didn't add spring onion as I didn't get any at the time of taking the photos.
- Don't overcook the vegetables. Once the soup begins to boil, add the cornflour, mix till it thickens and take it off the heat.
- To maintain the crispiness of the vegetables serve the soup immediately.
- I used my homemade garlic chilli sauce or chutney. You can buy any chilli sauce from the market.
- Add any vegetables that you may have at home like zucchini, broccoli, celery, etc.
- If you use stock and it has salt, then adjust the amount of salt required.
- Vegetables cut into smaller size means that the cooking time is less. Larger veggies take longer to cook.
Pin For Later:
A Little Request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email email@example.com
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962