Barley Pumpkin Soup
EVENT: SHHH COOKING SECRETLY
RECIPE: BARLEY PUMPKIN SOUP
Barley Pumpkin Soup is a Vegan Fall Season soup. Healthy, hearty, filling and tasty. Just when there a bit of a nippy chill in the evenings, this soup is so comforting. Usually with soups like this we don’t any bread slices or bread sticks as the barley is quite filling.
A Bit About The Group
Every month a member gets to suggest a theme. For this month Priya who blogs at The World Through My Eyes suggested we make healthy hearty soups as after all the festivities we will need light healthy meals.
The unique thing about this group is that we pair the participants. They give each other 2 secret ingredients which they must use in their recipe. This month my partner is Renu who blogs at Cook With Renu. Using celery and sage that Renu suggested as my secret ingredients I decided to make Barley Pumpkin Soup. I gave her milk and celery to use in her soup recipe. Using those two ingredients she has prepared a creamy hearty Vegetarian Broccoli Chowder.
I tend to make soups quite often now that I am in Canada. There are more cold evenings than hot ones. Soups tend to add the required heat the body requires and is so comforting. When I was in Mombasa, soups was restricted to days when it rained. Not that the weather ever became chilling cold.
Check Out Some Soups That You May Enjoy
Ingredients Required For Barley Pumpkin Soup
- Barley – use pearl or pot barley. If you are using pot barley which I have, then you need to soak it overnight or at least for 2-3 hours. This will help it to cook faster. If you are using pearl barley then there is no need to soak it before using. If you want to make a gluten free soup, then substitute the barley with gluten free options like rice, quinoa, amaranth seeds, buckwheat, millets.
- Pumpkin – peel and cut the pumpkin into cubes that are not too big or too small. Pumpkin cooks fast.
- Mixed Vegetables – use any vegetables of your choice. I have used sweet corn, French Beans, peas, carrots.
- Onion – peeled and diced. Can use red, white or yellow onion.
- Garlic – peeled and sliced or finely chopped.
- Ginger – peeled and grated or minced. Ginger tastes really good with pumpkin.
- Celery – I used one stalk and a few leaves. Chop or slice.
- Sage – dried sage. Can use any other herbs of your choice. I love the flavour of sage with pumpkin.
- Vegetable Stock – I save the water in which I cook the vegetables. Or sometimes use vegetable stock powder.
- Water – as required.
- Smoked Paprika – I used it as I had it in my pantry. Can use red chilli powder or omit altogether.
- Turmeric Powder – optional.
- Salt – add according to your taste. If you are using ready made stock be careful with the salt as some stocks contain salt.
- Pepper Powder – add according to your taste
- Olive Oil or any oil/butter of your choice.
- Water – only if required or stock.
BARLEY PUMPKIN SOUP
- 1 cup pot barley soaked overnight
- 1 cup pumpkin cubes small
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 1½ cups mixed vegetables
- ¼ cup celery chopped or sliced
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- ½ tsp ginger grated
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper powder
- 1 sprig sage fresh or dried
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika powder
- Soak about ½ cup pot barley in enough water overnight.
- Drain out the water and rinse the soaked barley under running water.
- Prepare all the vegetables.
- Heat olive oil in a pan.
- Add onion and stir fry till it becomes a bit soft.
- Add garlic and ginger. Saute for a few seconds.
- Add the pumpkin, celery, mixed vegetables and sage. Give it a good mix.
- Add the soaked barley.
- Add salt and stock. Mix well.
- Bring the soup mixture to a gentle boil.
- Reduce the heat and cover the pan.
- Allow the soup to simmer over low heat till the barley is cooked. This will take about 20-30 minutes. If you want the barley al dente then it will be ready in 20 minutes.
- Once the barley and vegetables are cooked, add pepper, paprika, turmeric powders.
- Serve the hot soup on its own or with some toast or bread sticks.
- Add vegetable of your choice.
- Add herbs of your choice. Can use fresh or dried herbs.
- For a gluten free replace the barley with quinoa, amaranth, millets, buckwheat or rice.
Pin For Later:
A Little Request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962
November 12, 2022 at 11:39 pm
Barley Pumpkin soup looks irresistible. Very interesting soup recipe. Making it with fresh veggies is so awesome. Bookmarking this recipe to make it soon. I like the idea of adding dry sage .
November 16, 2022 at 2:43 am
Thank you so much Preethi. Fresh or dry sage goes so well with pumpkin.
November 13, 2022 at 4:47 pm
I make barley soup but never added pumpkin in it. I have my fresh garden pumpkins and would love to give this a try.
November 16, 2022 at 2:41 am
Thanks Renu,love adding pumpkin in soups, curries and dals.
November 14, 2022 at 11:47 pm
I love how the final product has turned out. It looks so soothing and perfect in cold winter weather. I am wanting to try barley in soup. I believe I would love the slightly chewy texture of barley.
November 16, 2022 at 2:38 am
Thanks Anu, barley does make a lovely addition to soups. I too love the chewy texture of it.
November 15, 2022 at 5:43 am
A good idea of using pumpkin in soup. will add it to the next batch of veggies when I am making it. Looks filling and healthy.
November 16, 2022 at 2:37 am
Thank you so much Jayashree, it is a filling soup mainly because of the barley.
November 16, 2022 at 11:16 pm
Loving your collection of soups there, Mayuri and such delicious ones too ! can’t wait to try them as well as this flavourful barley-pumpkin ! delish !
November 22, 2022 at 1:34 pm
Thank you so much Kalyani. Enjoy the soup when you try it out.
November 19, 2022 at 11:26 am
What a beautiful use of barley! Love the use of pumpkin here too – must have made the soup so much more flavourful. Would love to dig into this hearty bowl of soup on a chilly winter day!
November 22, 2022 at 1:32 pm
Thanks Priya, it is a different way to enjoy barley from the usual roti, idli, etc.
Rafeeda – The Big Sweet Tooth
November 21, 2022 at 9:13 am
I love soups with barley. They fill up your tummy instantly and make you feel full. This soup is so loaded with vegetables and love the addition of sage…
November 22, 2022 at 1:28 pm
Thank you so much Rafeeda. Sage does add a unique flavour.
November 21, 2022 at 10:14 am
Barley Pumpkin Soup is a perfect Fall time soup. Healthy as well as tasty soup. Love to have this soup with some breadsticks…..
November 22, 2022 at 1:28 pm
Thank you so much. I love this soup during winter as it is so comforting and filling too.
January 27, 2023 at 11:55 pm
Wow, the pearls of barley to chew on and the softness of the pumpkin will make this soup an instant attraction. Love how you have served these too, so rustic and inviting.
February 1, 2023 at 4:55 pm
Thank you so much Seema, that is exactly what I like about the soup, the bite from the barley and soft veggies.