EVENT: SUNDAY FUNDAY
THEME: ROMANCE FOR VALENTINE’S DAY
RECIPE: WATERMELON MOUSSE
Watermelon Mousse is a very light, refreshing, fruity, delicious dessert. Easy to make, its a perfect dessert to celebrate Valentine’s Day or to enjoy for a romantic evening.
The first time I tried this recipe was sometime in Nov 2013. I prepared Watermelon Mousse for a family Sunday lunch. The best part of preparing this mousse, was that it was easy, had no eggs and different. Generally mousse is prepared with the more familiar fruits like mango, strawberry, raspberry, pineapple, etc. Hardly ever anyone thinks of using watermelon to prepare a dessert. My guests couldn’t believe that the mousse was made with watermelon. I posted the recipe on 12/11/2013 but the one and only click or photo was blurry and horrible.
Weather at the Moment
Generally, January, February and March in Mombasa are hot and humid. However, this year the weather is a bit weird. It rains, then its humid and rains again. But that does not mean that we don’t get watermelon. In fact, there is an abundance of watermelon and mostly they are so red and sweet. The first trail of watermelon mousse was pretty bland. Second time round added mint. And that took the mousse to another level, so refreshing and flavorful. So, this time I thought leave the strawberries for another time, prepare Watermelon Mousse to celebrate Valentine’s Day. Anyway with the huge demand for Strawberries, the prices have been hiked up!
Some More Recipes with Watermelon to check out
- Start a romantic meal with some Watermelon, Feta ad Spinach Salad.
- A salad using the white rind of watermelon – Watermelon Rind Salad
- Did you know that watermelon and halloumi pair so well? Check out Watermelon and Halloumi Salad
- Serve a cold cooling and different kind of Gazpacho this Valentine’s Day – Watermelon Gazpacho
- Looking for a a starter idea? Try some Watermelon Bruschetta.
- My favorite romantic summer treat – Watermelon Coconut and Rose Popsicles
- How about a cool refreshing lunch time dessert/ Have you tried Watermelon Soda Float?
- Watermelon And Mint Sorbet – perfect summer time treat.
- I love fruit iced teas. You’ve got to try the super cooling Watermelon Iced Tea.
- Enjoy Watermelon Cucumber Salad as a light meal.
- Beat the heat with a refreshing glass of Beetroot Watermelon Juice.
- Healthy way to begin the day – Banana Watermelon Smoothie
Sunday Funday is a group of Food Bloggers who every Sunday share some fun, traditional, hearty or easy recipes to make Sunday Family Meals a bit more exciting. If you’re interested in joining this fun group then visit the Sunday Funday Facebook Page. Request to join in. This Sunday the theme is Romance For Valentine’s Day suggested by Rebekah. We have to serve up a dish which will a part of our perfect romantic meal. Its just the two of us so hubby has requested I make Baked Pasta and the dessert is obviously a light Watermelon Mousse, topped with some grated dark chocolate.
Check out what fellow members have prepared for Valentine’s Day:
- Beet-Kissed Savory Goat Cheese Truffles by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Chocolate Chip Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Chocolate Dipped Strawberries by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Grilled Grapes & Paneer Sticks by Sneha’s Recipe
- Salmon with Peach Salsa by Making Miracles
- Strawberry Almond Crumble by Food Lust People Love
- Watermelon Mousse by Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Wild Rice Stuffed Pork Tenderloin by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Ingredients Required For Watermelon Mousse:
- Fresh Watermelon Juice – chop watermelon into chunks and process it without adding any water.
- Setting Agent – gelatin or agar agar. I have used vegetarian gelatin.
- Sugar – add according to your taste.
- Salt – just a pinch required
- Lemon Juice – preferably freshly squeezed
- Fresh Cream – I’ve used whipping cream
- Fresh Mint Leaves – process with the watermelon juice.
- Grated Dark Chocolate – for topping.
Pin for Later:
- 2 cups watermelon juice
- ½ tbsp gelatin
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 10-15 fresh mint leaves
- generous pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ cup cold fresh whipping cream
- Grated Dark Chocolate
- Add ½ cup watermelon juice into a heatproof bowl.
- Sprinkle gelatin over it. Let it soak or bloom in the juice for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add mint leaves to the remaining juice and blend.
- Add the sugar, salt and lemon juice and mix well.
- Place the bowl with gelatin over hot water and mix well till the gelatin dissolves.
- Add the dissolved gelatin mixture to the mint watermelon juice.
- Stir well.
- Whip the cold fresh cream till soft peaks form.
- Add the whipped cream to the watermelon juice and whisk lightly till all the cream is incorporated into the juice mixture.
- Pour the mixture into individual serving bowls.
- Put it in the fridge to set. I left mine overnight.
- Serve topped with grated chocolate.
- Cut the watermelon into small tiny chunks before you process it in a liquidizer. The small pieces are easier to process without adding water.
- Reduce or add sugar according to the natural sweetness of the watermelon.
- Add ½ tsp ginger paste to the juice for a different flavour.
- Adding salt, brings out the flavour of the watermelon.
- If you want to use agar agar instead of gelatin replace it with 1 tbsp agar agar powder or 2 tbsp agar agar flakes.
- The number of servings will depend on the size of bowls you use.
Pin for Later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email email@example.com
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962
November 12, 2013 at 3:00 pm
wow wow watermelon mousse looks fabulous and very interesting recipe dear 🙂 makes me drool here !!
November 12, 2013 at 3:28 pm
Looks yummy. will try dear
November 20, 2013 at 1:01 pm
Nice recipe, very inviting 🙂
June 5, 2014 at 6:46 pm
Yummy & tempting. Thanks for linking.
June 8, 2014 at 4:22 pm
wow interesting and yummy mousse happy to follow you .will happy if you follow me back….http://prachisvegkitchen.blogspot.in
February 14, 2021 at 7:39 pm
It’s not watermelon season here for a few months but I can’t wait to try your mousse, Mayuri. It looks and sounds light and refreshing, perfect for hot months.
February 15, 2021 at 3:35 pm
Thank you so much Stacy, please do try it when summer is there. Luckily because of the hot weather here, we tend to get them most year round.
Colleen – Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck
February 14, 2021 at 8:12 pm
Wow…this sounds so refreshing and lovely! Definitely a great alternative to strawberries and chocolate!!!
February 15, 2021 at 3:33 pm
Thank you so much Colleen. And its so light.
February 15, 2021 at 5:48 am
This is a gorgeous presentation…..I will plan on making it for a summer dessert this year.
February 15, 2021 at 3:33 pm
Thank you so much Wendy, yes it makes a perfect summer dessert.
Amy’s Cooking Adventures
February 15, 2021 at 7:28 am
This looks just amazing!
February 15, 2021 at 3:32 pm
Thank you so much Amy.
Super duper kitchen
February 16, 2021 at 7:52 pm
Like you have mentioned, have never thought about making a mousse with watermelon. A different dessert and the colour is pleasing to the eyes. Also the texture is creamy and loved those topping that is contrast in colour.
February 23, 2021 at 8:26 pm
Thank you so much Niranjana. I too was pleasantly surprised how good it turned out.
February 17, 2021 at 5:36 am
Watermelon mousse looks so light and refreshing. So innovative . I am in love with the beautiful colour of the mousse. Would love to try it sometime.
February 17, 2021 at 4:01 pm
Thank you so much Preethi. Please do try the recipe.
February 17, 2021 at 5:59 am
Valentines or otherwise, this is something my kids would love. Mousse is on my to.do list for a long time, and I know this will please them a lot.. a beautiful pink!!
February 17, 2021 at 4:01 pm
Thank you so much Kalyani. Whenever you try the recipe make sure you get that deep red watermelon for the colour. Otherwise you may have to add a bit of red food colour.
February 17, 2021 at 6:25 am
A totally new recipe for me with watermelon.. loving the pretty pics and tempted to it for my kids when I we start getting melons here.. Wonderful share Mayuriji surely going to try it!!
February 17, 2021 at 9:07 am
Omg! 🤩🤩🤩 I want that delicious bowl of watermelon mousse. It’s okay that I have a very bad cold Thanks to watermelon juice. Had I known I could make this delicious mousse I would not had the juice. Looks absolutely delicious.
February 17, 2021 at 3:59 pm
Thank you so much Archana. Try the recipe when you buy watermelon again.
February 17, 2021 at 12:56 pm
Such a lovely dessert with watermelon Mayuri. Never thought of making mousse with watermelon.
February 17, 2021 at 3:58 pm
Thank you so much Jayashree, I like using watermelon as the mousse turns out light and refreshing.
February 17, 2021 at 8:55 pm
Watermelon Mousse!! Never tried it before.. mint with watermelon adds on to the refreshing taste.. with summers soon approaching, I will love to make it for my kids .. they love watermelon and will surely enjoy watermelon mousse topped with chocolate shavings.
February 17, 2021 at 9:01 pm
Thank you so much Swaty. Please do try the dessert.
February 20, 2021 at 10:40 am
Can’t take my eyes off this gorgeous looking Watermelon Mousse! Your presentation making it all the more romantic and desirable. Can’t wait to give it a try.
February 20, 2021 at 12:54 pm
Thank you so much Poonam. With summer round the corner, please try it.
25 Best Watermelon Desserts – Insanely Good
August 4, 2021 at 10:13 pm
[…] 22. Watermelon Mousse […]
September 10, 2022 at 6:52 am
This looks delicious! I will try it for sure
September 12, 2022 at 2:35 pm
Thank you so much and enjoy.
25 Best Watermelon Desserts (Easy Recipes!) – Nurtured Homes
January 23, 2023 at 11:13 am