Watermelon, Feta and Spinach Salad
What is a Salad?
Salad is simply a mixture of raw or cooked vegetables and fruits served with or without a dressing. It may also contain other ingredients like meat, chicken, fish, grains, lentils, legumes etc to make it into a wholesome and healthy meal. Salads can be served as a starter or as a side with the main meal. These days one can enjoy a hearty salad on its own as a meal. I prefer serving watermelon, feta and spinach salad as a starter. However, that doesn’t stop me from enjoying it a light meal especially during the hot summer months.
A Cool Treat
Whenever the watermelon season begins in India or Kenya, I love to make Watermelon, Feta and Spinach Salad. Each spoonful or should I say forkful is a burst of refreshing flavors, sweetness from the watermelon, the saltiness from the feta and the refreshing taste from the fresh mint leaves. Raw spinach is good for health. Adding it to a salad like this makes it palatable. It makes a cool treat to enjoy as a light meal especially when its really hot during the summer.
My first experience enjoying this exotic salad
You know how some supermarkets have recipe cards that you can pick up at the till or counter for free, well that’s where I picked up the recipe card from Sainsbury. Next shopping trip to the supermarket I picked up the ingredients and made it at home. Not only was I pleasantly surprised with the burst of flavors but the family too enjoyed a totally different salad from the norm.
Health benefits of Watermelon
Watermelon is not only refreshing, hydrating, cooling and low in calories but is rich in potassium, magnesium, Vitamin A, Vitamin C and Vitamins B1, B5 and B6.Its high in carotenoids, including beta-carotene and lycopene. Plus, it has citrulline, an important amino acid. It also helps the digestive system, is believed to be beneficial for cancer patients, helps relive muscle soreness, is good for healthy hair and skin. No wonder watermelon is used in so many different ways.
How can Watermelon be used?
During summer months I like to make Watermelon Gazpacho, a cold soup, Watermelon Coconut and Rose Popsicles. Have you tried a fresh cooling Watermelon Iced Tea to beat the heat? A simple homemade Beetroot Watermelon Juice is healthy for kids and elderly who have an issue eating a balanced diet. As a light meal why not try out a Watermelon Cucumber Salad and end it with a super cool Watermelon and Mint Sorbet.
- Its Gluten free
- For a vegan option replace the dairy Feta with a vegan cheese
- As no onion or garlic is used, it Satvik friendly.
Lets get down to making this easy peasy salad. If you do not get baby spinach in your area, use normal spinach leaves, leave them whole or chop them up roughly.
WATERMELON FETA SPINACH SALAD
2 generous servings
2 cups of watermelon cubes or balls
12 -15 baby spinach leaves, washed
10 -12 black olives cut into halves
1/2 cup feta cheese cubes
1/4 cup mint leaves
2 tbsps olive oil
1 tbsp red wine vinegar or lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt or according to your taste
1/2 tsp coarse pepper powder
- Cut the watermelon and keep in the fridge till required.
- Chop the mint leaves. Pat dry the spinach leaves on a kitchen paper towel.
- In a bowl mix the feta cheese, olives, spinach leaves and mint.
- In another bowl mix the dressing.
- To serve add the watermelon and dressing and toss the salad gently.
- If you don’t like Feta then replace it with Goat cheese or paneer.
- Can add thin slices of a small white onion.
- Can add chilli flakes if you like.
- If you don’t get baby spinach then use normal spinach leaves, just chop it up roughly.
- If you are serving this salad for a larger party, leave the dressing on the side as the salad tends to get watery very quickly.
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email email@example.com
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962