Strawberry Choco Chip Cupcakes
EVENT: FOODIES_ REDOING OLD POSTS #43
RECIPE: STRAWBERRY CHOCO CHIP CUPCAKES
Strawberry Choco Chip Cupcakes
Strawberry Choco Chip Cupcakes are soft, delicious wholewheat flour and egg free. Every bite of the cupcake is loaded with fresh strawberries and melted chocolate chips. These cupcakes are perfect for any celebration or to enjoy at tea time.
updated on 05/02/2021 first published on 10/07/2012
Luckily, nowadays we tend to get fresh strawberries more often in Mombasa too. I remember a few years back I’d have to buy them whenever I went to Nairobi. They are sweet and not sour at all like before. During the Covid Pandemic, I had my fruits and vegetables delivered every 10 -15 days by a kind hearted person. He is a decorator for special occasions by profession. However, during the pandemic there were no weddings, big parties, etc due to social distancing. He started supplying fruits and vegetables from door to door. He would inform me whenever there were fruits other than banana and papaya available. On several occasions he supplied fresh strawberries.
I took advantage of the sweet strawberries and decided to update my photos for Strawberry & Choco Chip Cupcakes. The first time I baked them, added just a few strawberries. Then slowly increased the amount and started adding chocolate chips. End result – totally delicious, soft and fruity chocolatey cupcakes.
Some More Strawberry Recipes
- Healthy and filling Strawberry Finger Millet Smoothie.
- Individual portion and quick to make Strawberry Mug Cake
- A fusion recipe, Thandai Malpua with Strawberry Compote
- Egg free Strawberry Mousse
- Easy to make Strawberry Oreo Cheesecake
- A fruity salad – Strawberry Mango Mesclun Salad
- Ravioli Dolci with Strawberry Sauce – perfect for Valentine’s Day
- Perfect Summer treat, a recipe using frozen fresh strawberries – Strawberry Frozen Yogurt
- Enjoy as a light meal some Strawberry and Avocado Salad
- Another salad to enjoy – Strawberry Green Bean Salad
- Mango Strawberry Smoothie – healthy breakfast or snack
- Strawberry Frozen Yogurt – using fresh strawberries
- Try Poonam’s Strawberry Banana Oat Bars
- Renu makes a sugar free Strawberry Banana Ice Cream
Difference between Cupcakes and Muffins
There is a difference between cupcakes and muffins:
- Cupcakes generally have a higher amount of fat and sugar than muffins. However, these days due to people being more conscious about health sugar content may be less in cupcakes. However, the correct amount of fat is required for soft cupcakes.
- Usually but not always cupcakes are frosted or iced. Generally muffins are not. Having said that, these days you’ll come across muffin recipes which are iced or frosted. Personally, I’m not a big fan of frosting unless its fresh cream or cream cheese. So my strawberry & chocolate chip cupcakes are frost free.
- The method of making the batter differs. Muffins are where dry and wet ingredients mixed separately. Then the dry ingredient mixture is added to the wet one. A few whisks and the batter is ready. Cupcake batter is made first by creaming the sugar and fat. Then egg/yogurt/ vinegar are added and finally the flour mixture. This results in more soft and lighter cupcakes compared to muffins which tend to be heavier.
THE GROUP FOODIES _ REDOING OLD POSTS – STRAWBERRY CHOCO CHIP CUPCAKES
By redoing old posts, I’m able to rewrite my post in a better manner and most importantly, update the photos. I’d been meaning to update the strawberry choco chip cupcakes for a long time. Finally, got the opportunity to do so when I baked these for a friend’s anniversary.
Ingredients Required For Strawberry Choco Chip Cupcakes
- Flour – I have used wholewheat flour, the one we usually buy for roti, chapati. Do not use wheat flour meant for breads.Ypu can replace the wheat flour with plain or all purpose flour.
- Sugar – I’ve used light brown sugar. Feel free to use caster huge, white sugar.
- Baking Powder – as the rising agent
- Baking Soda – Soda Bicarbonate as the rising agent
- Salt – a little is added to balance the flavours
- Fresh Strawberries – hulled and chopped into chunks
- Milk – I’ve used dairy milk. Feel free to replace it with a nut milk.
- Butter – soften.
- Vanilla Extract – for flavour
- Plain Yogurt – should be thick and not watery.
- Chocolate Chips – dark or milk. I’ve used milk chocolate chips.
Pin for Later:
STRAWBERRY & CHOCO CHIP CUPCAKES
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour atta
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp soda bicarbonate
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 4 tbsp soft butter Approx. 56g
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries about 200g
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup milk
- Preheat the oven at 180°C. Put paper cake cups into a muffin tray or moulds.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, soda bicarbonate and salt together.
- Wash the strawberries, hull them and dice them into chunks.
- Beat sugar and butter together till it is creamy, light and fluffy.
- Add the milk, yogurt and vanilla extract. Mix it well.
- Coat the strawberries and chocolate chips with some of the measured flour.
- Add the flour, chocolate chips and strawberries. Fold the mixture gently using a spatula or a spoon. Do not over mix.
- Spoon the batter into the cups about ¾ of the way. The number of cups required will depend on the size of cups.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Insert a toothpick or knife into the middle of the cup cake. It should come out clean.
- Remove from the oven. Let the cakes cool for 5 to 10 minutes in the tray.
- Remove them from the tray and let it cool on a wire rack.
Instead of chocolate chips can use raisins or nuts.
Serve as a dessert with fresh whipped cream. Add a bit of powdered sugar in the cream before whipping.
Pin for Later
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email email@example.com
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962
February 8, 2021 at 4:40 am
I love fruit cupcakes. These strawberry and chocolate flavored cupcakes look amazing and perfect to celebrate Valentine’s Day!
February 8, 2021 at 4:08 pm
Thank you so much Uma.
February 8, 2021 at 11:14 am
Strawberry Choco chip cupcake is enjoying both the flavours of chocolate and strawberry at a time. Looks delicious and I prefer them without the frosting.
February 8, 2021 at 4:07 pm
February 8, 2021 at 1:17 pm
Those of us who celebrate valentine’s day with family (kids included) are always looking for recipes that will bring happiness to everyone around the table. These Strawberry Choco Chip Cupcakes are just perfect for that! And as cute as they look, they absolutely don’t need a frosting.
February 8, 2021 at 4:07 pm
Thank you so much Maria, you’re right the strawberry and choco chips are enough to please the taste buds.
February 9, 2021 at 1:31 am
I too make similar cupcakes with strawberry and wheat flour but I so not add yogurt in it. I will try it some time with yogurt as in your recipe. I like the strawberry and chocolate chips on the top, so tempting .
February 9, 2021 at 8:26 pm
Thank you so much Renu, I feel the yogurt makes them softer as no eggs are used.
February 9, 2021 at 6:51 pm
Your strawberry chocochip cupcakes have me smiling ear to ear! Tomorrow is the day I will bake now that I have a yum recipe! Using whole wheat flour is something I definitely want to try. Thanks Mayuri looks like we are going to be spoilt for choice this Valentine’s.
February 9, 2021 at 8:20 pm
Thanks Archana, and enjoy these delicious fruity cupcakes when you bake them.
February 10, 2021 at 3:19 pm
Strawberry choco chip cupcakes looks very inviting mayuriji ! i love to bake with fruits and strawberries add a nice flavor with its sweet and sour taste and with choco chips its a bonus! A lovely bake for celebrations.
February 10, 2021 at 10:37 pm
Thank you so much Priya, I too love to bake cakes with fruits.
February 11, 2021 at 10:24 am
Strawberry Choco Chip Cupcakes look so soft and delicious to the core. Made with wholewheat flour and egg free is an added advantage too. I can imagine the wow flavours of fresh strawberries and melted chocolate chips. Yummmmm
February 11, 2021 at 5:51 pm
Thank you so much Lata, one of my favorite cupcakes.
February 12, 2021 at 12:54 pm
I love the eggless bakes made using whole wheat flour as they can be enjoyed guilt free. This one with strawberry and chocochips looks absolutely delectable !
February 12, 2021 at 8:30 pm
Thank you so much.
February 15, 2021 at 1:02 pm
Strawberry and chocolate, I am sold!! pass me these cupcakes and I can show you how they vanish in minutes. Yum.
February 15, 2021 at 3:32 pm
Thank you so much Seema, wish I could have passed some to you 🙂
Jagruti’s Cooking Odyssey
March 8, 2021 at 11:41 am
Love cupcakes for any time of the day! These strawberry and chocolate ones are hard to resist. Perfect for coffee mornings, afternoon tea or breakfast.
March 8, 2021 at 7:54 pm
Thank you so much. I love to have them for tea.
October 18, 2021 at 5:31 pm
Thank you Mayuriji for yet another wonderful recipe for eggless cupcakes; it was perfect, right amount of sweetness, nice and soft. I made about 15 small cupcakes with the given measurement and about 10 people tried it, everyone loved it and the fact that it was eggless yet so soft and delicious.
Thank you once again.
I will email you the pictures.
October 19, 2021 at 3:04 pm
Thank you so much Bindiya for trying out my recipes. I am so happy that everyone loved the bake.