Strawberry Choco Chip Cupcakes
EVENT: FOODIES_ REDOING OLD POSTS #43
RECIPE: STRAWBERRY CHOCO CHIP CUPCAKES
Strawberry Choco Chip Cupcakes
Strawberry Choco Chip Cupcakes are soft, delicious wholewheat flour and egg free. Every bite of the cupcake is loaded with fresh strawberries and melted chocolate chips. These cupcakes are perfect for any celebration or to enjoy at tea time.
updated on 05/02/2021 first published on 10/07/2012
Luckily, nowadays we tend to get fresh strawberries more often in Mombasa too. I remember a few years back I’d have to buy them whenever I went to Nairobi. They are sweet and not sour at all like before. During the Covid Pandemic, I had my fruits and vegetables delivered every 10 -15 days by a kind hearted person. He is a decorator for special occasions by profession. However, during the pandemic there were no weddings, big parties, etc due to social distancing. He started supplying fruits and vegetables from door to door. He would inform me whenever there were fruits other than banana and papaya available. On several occasions he supplied fresh strawberries.
I took advantage of the sweet strawberries and decided to update my photos for Strawberry & Choco Chip Cupcakes. The first time I baked them, added just a few strawberries. Then slowly increased the amount and started adding chocolate chips. End result – totally delicious, soft and fruity chocolatey cupcakes.
Some More Strawberry Recipes
- Healthy and filling Strawberry Finger Millet Smoothie.
- Individual portion and quick to make Strawberry Mug Cake
- A fusion recipe, Thandai Malpua with Strawberry Compote
- Egg free Strawberry Mousse
- Easy to make Strawberry Oreo Cheesecake
- A fruity salad – Strawberry Mango Mesclun Salad
- Ravioli Dolci with Strawberry Sauce – perfect for Valentine’s Day
- Perfect Summer treat, a recipe using frozen fresh strawberries – Strawberry Frozen Yogurt
- Enjoy as a light meal some Strawberry and Avocado Salad
- Another salad to enjoy – Strawberry Green Bean Salad
- Mango Strawberry Smoothie – healthy breakfast or snack
- Strawberry Frozen Yogurt – using fresh strawberries
- Try Poonam’s Strawberry Banana Oat Bars
- Renu makes a sugar free Strawberry Banana Ice Cream
Difference between Cupcakes and Muffins
There is a difference between cupcakes and muffins:
- Cupcakes generally have a higher amount of fat and sugar than muffins. However, these days due to people being more conscious about health sugar content may be less in cupcakes. However, the correct amount of fat is required for soft cupcakes.
- Usually but not always cupcakes are frosted or iced. Generally muffins are not. Having said that, these days you’ll come across muffin recipes which are iced or frosted. Personally, I’m not a big fan of frosting unless its fresh cream or cream cheese. So my strawberry & chocolate chip cupcakes are frost free.
- The method of making the batter differs. Muffins are where dry and wet ingredients mixed separately. Then the dry ingredient mixture is added to the wet one. A few whisks and the batter is ready. Cupcake batter is made first by creaming the sugar and fat. Then egg/yogurt/ vinegar are added and finally the flour mixture. This results in more soft and lighter cupcakes compared to muffins which tend to be heavier.
THE GROUP FOODIES _ REDOING OLD POSTS – STRAWBERRY CHOCO CHIP CUPCAKES
By redoing old posts, I’m able to rewrite my post in a better manner and most importantly, update the photos. I’d been meaning to update the strawberry choco chip cupcakes for a long time. Finally, got the opportunity to do so when I baked these for a friend’s anniversary.
Ingredients Required For Strawberry Choco Chip Cupcakes
- Flour – I have used wholewheat flour, the one we usually buy for roti, chapati. Do not use wheat flour meant for breads.Ypu can replace the wheat flour with plain or all purpose flour.
- Sugar – I’ve used light brown sugar. Feel free to use caster huge, white sugar.
- Baking Powder – as the rising agent
- Baking Soda – Soda Bicarbonate as the rising agent
- Salt – a little is added to balance the flavours
- Fresh Strawberries – hulled and chopped into chunks
- Milk – I’ve used dairy milk. Feel free to replace it with a nut milk.
- Butter – soften.
- Vanilla Extract – for flavour
- Plain Yogurt – should be thick and not watery.
- Chocolate Chips – dark or milk. I’ve used milk chocolate chips.
Pin for Later:
STRAWBERRY & CHOCO CHIP CUPCAKES
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour atta
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp soda bicarbonate
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 4 tbsp soft butter Approx. 56g
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries about 200g
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup milk
- Preheat the oven at 180°C. Put paper cake cups into a muffin tray or moulds.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, soda bicarbonate and salt together.
- Wash the strawberries, hull them and dice them into chunks.
- Beat sugar and butter together till it is creamy, light and fluffy.
- Add the milk, yogurt and vanilla extract. Mix it well.
- Coat the strawberries and chocolate chips with some of the measured flour.
- Add the flour, chocolate chips and strawberries. Fold the mixture gently using a spatula or a spoon. Do not over mix.
- Spoon the batter into the cups about ¾ of the way. The number of cups required will depend on the size of cups.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Insert a toothpick or knife into the middle of the cup cake. It should come out clean.
- Remove from the oven. Let the cakes cool for 5 to 10 minutes in the tray.
- Remove them from the tray and let it cool on a wire rack.
Instead of chocolate chips can use raisins or nuts.
Serve as a dessert with fresh whipped cream. Add a bit of powdered sugar in the cream before whipping.
Pin for Later
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962