630.Watermelon Soda Float
It’s sooo cooling
For the month of March, the Shhh Cooking Secretly group decided to make #SummerCoolers as summer is already here. I hear its really really hot in India. It’s hot in Mombasa too and slaving over a hot stove is becoming a very sweaty task.
I am grateful that my partner Shobana Vijay gave me such cool ingredients, watermelon and mint. So no boiling milk or making custard or anything of that sort on the stove. All I needed was a blender and the cold fridge. Years back when I had gone for a movie in Ahmedabad with my guardians I had tasted a soda float for the first time. It was ice cream served in what was then available Gold Spot. Remember the so orangy and sickly sweet drink! Well, back then I loved it perhaps because I tasted it for the first time, or because it was a cool satisfying drink for the really hot May month… I don’t know. After that I tasted a coke float, which my kaki loved and I wasn’t too huge a fan of.
I decided to make a watermelon soda float and this is for keeps. I loved it and it was truly a very cool drink for the hot hot weather…watermelon and mint have cooling properties, I put the soda water in the freezer to chill and yes Ice cream is cold…. so that certainly equals to a cool cool drink.
Before you check out the float recipe, take some time to check out Shobana’s Blog , Shoba’s Delight for some interesting south indian recipes.
WATERMELON SODA FLOAT
2½ cups watermelon cubes
¼ cup mint leaves
2 scoops of ice cream (vanilla, lemon sorbet, coconut)
½ cup chilled soda water
1 tsp lemon juice
2 tbsp finely chopped watermelon or any fruit of your choice
A few ice cubes
- Add the water melon cubes and mint leaves into the blender. Liquidize it. You may need to push the melon down for it to get crushed. You will get about 1-1½ cups of juice.
- Strain the juice with a sieve.
- Add lemon juice and mix well.
- At this stage you may want to leave the juice in the freezer for 15-20 minutes to chill completely. Or prepare it ahead and let it chill in the fridge.
- To serve, take two tall glasses. Add ice cubes to the bottom of each glass.
- Add a tbsp each of the chopped fruit.
- Add ¼ cup each of the chilled soda.
- Add the watermelon juice. Remember not to fill it till the brim as you have to add ice cream.
- Finally add a scoop each of the ice cream.
- Serve immediately.
- Be sure to serve with a spoon otherwise the fruit may get left in the glass.
- Add any fruit of your choice
- To make a different flavoured float, use any other fresh fruit juice.
- I liquidized the mint leaves with the melon to get the maximum flavour of this wonderful herb.
|watermelon mint sorbet