Persimmon Salsa Fresca
EVENT: A- Z RECIPE CHALLENGE
THEME : AN INGREDIENT BEGINNING WITH THE LETTER P
A different flavored salsa that can be enjoyed with some tortilla chips or simply relish it as a refreshing salad.
What is Persimmon?
Persimmon also known as Sharon Fruit, this tomato shaped fruit is actually a berry. Yes, a huge berry. Mostly persimmon is an autumn fruit. There are two varieties of persimmon – the more astringent one hachiya variety and the non astringent fuyu. The hachiya variety you need to wait till it ripens fully to enjoy the sweetness of the pulp or jelly like flesh. The fuyu one can be eaten like an apple and the flesh is a bit more firm.
What is a Salsa?
Technically, a salsa is a sauce made with cooked ingredients the most common being tomato, onion, cilantro, chilis and lemon juice. Salsa Fresca or Pico de Gallo is a fresh sauce. No cooking takes place for the Salsa Fresca. The ingredients are chopped and mixed together. Usually enjoyed with some tortilla chips or on its own as a starter or a salad.
Some Salsa Recipes that may interest you:
A bit about the group
This group started by fellow bloggers Vidya and Jolly, is themed based. This month we have to use any ingredient whose English name begins with P. Not too difficult as the options are endless. There are several ingredients that one can use like potatoes, pears, pomegranate, pepper, pepper mint, plums, papaya, paprika, paneer, parsley, parmesan cheese, peach, peanuts, peas, pistachio, are just a few that come to my mind. As by now my followers will know, I don’t go to shop because of the Covid situation but get my grocery, vegetables and fruits delivered. We send message by WhatsApp to the relevant shop or supplier and the goods get supplied to our doorstep the next day.
Yeahhhh ! I got some Persimmon
I had requested the veggie supplier to get me some pears or peaches. He took the liberty of supplying me with persimmon and I did a little happy dance as I had no idea they were available. I got the fuyu variety. As fuyu variety is a bit firm you can use it for salads, bakes, etc. I decided to make a Salsa Fresca – fresh salsa to have as a light meal. Hubby can never make salad as his meal but I can. While he enjoyed his roti sabji (which by the way I’m so tired of!) I had a huge helping of Persimmon Salsa Fresca.
Some Dishes Beginning with P ingredient you may want to try:
- Eggless Pear Upside Down Cake
- Mediterranean Pearl Couscous Salad
- Pearl Millet and Almond Cookies
- Pear and Brie Salad
- Roasted Pepper Soup
- Pasta with Parsley Walnut Pesto
- Peach Cardamom Lassi
- Banana Peanut Butter and Oats Smoothie
- Jolly’s easy to make Potato Tomato Stir Fry
- Vidya’s Pear Salad with Feta Cheese, Apples and Walnuts is on my list to try
- Potato Poppy Seed Curry
- Baked Potato
- Pomegranate and Vanilla Panna Cotta
- Peanut and Fruit Salad
- Pistachio and Rose Cake
- Pistachio Cranberry Cookies
- Namrata’s Ripe Papaya Salad
- My Mum’s Peas Kachori
- Passion Fruit Hot Sauce
- Coconut and Passion Fruit Muffins
Ingredients required for Persimmon Salsa Fresca
- Persimmon or Sharon fruit – ripe but firm
- Onion – red, white or green
- Tomato – firm. Remove the seeds if you wish, I don’t remove them as they are good as dietary fibre
- Cilantro – fresh, also known as coriander
- Jalapeño – use green chilis if you don’t get any jalapeño
- Lemon Juice – preferably fresh
- Salt – as per your taste
- Pepper – black pepper powder either fine or coarse. I prefer coarsely ground pepper powder
- Chilli Flakes – optional
- Gluten Free
- 2 large persimmon ripe
- 1 medium onion
- 1 large tomato
- ¼ cup fresh coriander/cilantro chopped
- 1 green chilli or jalapeño chopped
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ⅓ - ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper powder
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes optional
- Chop the persimmon, onion and tomato. Add all to a mixing bowl.
- Add the chopped chilli or jalapeño.
- Add in all the remaining ingredients and mix the salsa well.
- Serve along with your Mexican meal, enjoy it with some tortilla chips or on its own as a healthy salad.
- Make sure you use firm but ripe persimmon.
- Use firm tomato
- Adjust flavors according to your taste.
Pin for later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email email@example.com
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962