Kiwi Cucumber Salsa

January 7, 2020mayurisjikoni
Blog post
EVENT: A- Z RECIPE CHALLENGE
THEME : A DISH BEGINNING WITH THE LETTER K

WHAT IS A-Z CHALLENGE?

It’s group started by Jolly Makkar and Vidya Narayan. What is required of in this group? Nothing too difficult but to cook a dish using an ingredient whose English name begins with the designated letter. This month we’re suppose to choose an ingredient that begins with K. My choice is Kiwi, the famous soft, seedy green fruit. While my favorite way to have kiwi is one its own, sometimes I make a cool healthy chia seed pudding to take care of my sweet tooth.

A BIT ABOUT KIWI FRUIT

We all normally presume that Kiwi fruit or Chinese Gooseberry originates from New Zealand. However, it actually grew in the wild in China. It is believed that a school teacher returning from China in 1904 introduced the fruit to New Zealand and had brought some seeds too. They named the fruit after their national bird kiwi.

Kiwi is a rich source of Vitamin C, along with serotonin which helps one sleep better. Rich in dietary fibre and minerals like potassium, helps to promote good heart health. Contains anti-inflammatory proteins like kiwellin and kissper which are useful to fight inflammation in the intestines.

WHAT IS SALSA?

Salsa is the Spanish name for a sauce. However, these days its used for a mixture of tomato, onion, jalapeño, cilantro and lime known as salsa roja. In English or more specifically in US salsa is adapted from the Mexican salsa roja. Its a popular dip usually enjoyed with tortilla chips, or as a sauce for Tex Mex dishes. Did you know that it’s used as a healthier replacement for tomato ketchup? Nowadays, there are so many variations of salsa besides the original tomato one. While I love my tomato salsa with any Mexican dishes I make,  I love making pineapple salsa to go with pita chips. By the way, have you tried plum salsa? Go on check out the recipe. Originally planned as a dip, I landed up making it a salad. Try mango salsa, its super delicious.

IS IT CILANTRO OR CORIANDER?

Taking advantage of this post as cilantro or coriander is one of the main ingredients for any salsa, I just want to clear the difference. Firstly cilantro or coriander both come from the plant Coriandrum Sativum. While in US cilantro refers to the stem and leaves and coriander to the seeds, elsewhere in the world coriander refers to the stem and leaves and the seeds as coriander seeds.

MY VERSION OF KIWI CUCUMBER SALSA

During my hubby’s birthday cum Christmas party I wanted to add a bit of the famous red and green to the food I prepared to give it a festive look. That’s when I decided that kiwi cucumber salsa with a bit of fresh pomegranate arils would be perfect. Paired it with tortilla chips as a starter and it  disappeared in no time. The second time I made it to enjoy as a salad. As a dip the ingredients need to be chopped finely, or a very short burst in the food processor to give it a coarse texture. If you want to use it as salad then chop the ingredients into bite size pieces.

DIETARY TIPS

• It’s gluten free
  • It’s vegan
  • For a satvik version, omit onion

kiwi salsa 1

kiwi salsa 2

kiwi salsa 3

kiwi salsa 4

KIWI CUCUMBER SALSA

Serves 3-4 as a dip. Serves 2 as a salad

1 cup finely diced ripe kiwi ( I used 3)

1 cup finely diced English Cucumber

½ cup chopped spring onion

½ cup chopped fresh coriander/cilantro

¼ cup pomegranate arils

1-2 tbsp lemon/lime juice

1 jalapeno finely chopped or 1 green chillis

2-3 fresh red chillis finely chopped (remove the seeds)

½ tsp salt

¼ tsp black pepper powder

1. Peel kiwi that is not too ripe. Dice it into small pieces.
  2. Dice the cucumber with the peel.
  3. Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl.
  4. Cover and chill it in the fridge till required.
  5. Serve kiwi cucumber salsa with tortilla chips, pita chips or enjoy it as a salad.

Tips:

• Try and add lime juice as it makes the salsa taste different. However, you can use lemon juice.
  • Replace the spring onion with a small red or white onion finely chopped.
  • Adding red chillis is optional.

Pin for later:

kiwi salsa

A little request:

If you do try this recipe then please either

• add a comment below,
  • send a picture to my email mayuri.ajay.patel62@gmail.com
  •  tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
  • or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962

38 Comments

• TerriSue

January 7, 2020 at 10:30 pm

I mean to try this one out soon. My son hates tomatoes so I am always on the lookout for a salsa that he will eat. This one just might fit the bill. Thank you.

January 8, 2020 at 5:48 pm

Most welcome, hope your son loves it. You could also make mango, plum or pineapple one too.

• Seema Doraiswamy Sriram

January 8, 2020 at 1:22 pm

Kiwi salsa indeed, the sweet tart kiwi will be so amazing. This is a perfect recipe for afternoon tea.

January 8, 2020 at 5:43 pm

Thanks Seema.

2. Geetha

January 17, 2020 at 1:54 am

Kiwi cucumber salsa must be so refreshing and bursting with flavours. Love this simple and versatile dish. I would happily finish off that bowl as a salad. Lovely share Mayuriji.

January 18, 2020 at 7:18 pm

Thank you so much Geetha I too enjoy it as a healthy salad.

• shobhakeshwani

January 9, 2020 at 11:36 pm

This must have tasted so good.. the combination of tangy kiwi with crunchy cucumbers. I usually don’t like eating kiwi as a fruit by itself. Maybe this way I might enjoy it.

January 10, 2020 at 9:04 pm

Thanks Shobha, its a really delicious combination, do try it.

1. The Girl Next Door

January 15, 2020 at 7:21 pm

I make salsa with ripe and raw mango, tomato or pineapple, usually. Love the idea of using kiwi to make salsa – must be such a burst of flavours! I’ll definitely try this out shortly.

2. mayurisjikoni

January 15, 2020 at 7:39 pm

Thanks Priya and hoping to get a feedback from you.

3. Batter Up With Sujata

January 16, 2020 at 1:15 pm

I love the taste and look of kiwis. Sliced kiwis looks so beautiful. This salad with kiwis and pomegranate sounds superbly delicious and healthy. Green cucumber and kiwi with red pomegranate seeds looks so attractive. I will try sometime for sure.

4. mayurisjikoni

January 16, 2020 at 6:43 pm

Thanks Sujata, the combination of kiwi and cucumber coupled with lemon and chilli is really tasty.

• Rafeeda AR

January 13, 2020 at 11:13 am

This for me is surely a salad I would really enjoy! All the fruits and vegetables have gone into it makes it too good to ignore… Your clicks are getting better with each post, Mayuriji… 🙂 Thank you for the information of the origin of Kiwi, very interesting…

January 13, 2020 at 2:01 pm

Thank you so much Rafeeda for the sweet compliment and please do enjoy the salsa.

• Vanitha Bhat

January 16, 2020 at 12:13 pm

Wow!!! This one is surely a winner! I can just imagine the sweet and savory taste in every bite not to mention the healthy feeling you get when savoring this salsa or even as a salad! Got to get some kiwis just to make this dear <3 By the way, never knew that kiwis were originally from China! Thanks for clarifying and sharing that 🙂

January 16, 2020 at 6:44 pm

Thanks Vanitha and most welcome. Please do try out the recipe, I enjoyed as a salad a few days ago and it was a guilt free meal 🙂

• Jayashree

January 16, 2020 at 7:37 pm

This is a real cool and colourful one. The next time I have kiwi I will.make this and have as a salad. Lovely one.

January 16, 2020 at 8:18 pm

Thank you so much.

• FoodTrails

January 17, 2020 at 12:13 am

Loved this kiwi salsa with attractive Christmas Colors!! will make this for kids get together, who are sure going to love it with crunchy nachos!

January 18, 2020 at 7:20 pm

Thanks Swati, am sure the kids will love it.

• Aruna

January 17, 2020 at 4:30 am

Nice green salsa with just a hint of red. The medley of tastes will also make for an interesting meal. Happy New Year, Mayuri!

January 18, 2020 at 7:18 pm

Thank you so much Aruna.

• namscorner18

January 19, 2020 at 7:52 pm

Kiwi cucumber salsa looks so inviting and delicious. Healthy and so colorful. Perfect starter for party.

January 19, 2020 at 8:11 pm

Thanks Narmadha, try it, it is delicious.

• poonampagar

January 19, 2020 at 8:08 pm

Kiwi cucumber salads sounds a refreshing salad to me . Can enjoy it on its own any day.

January 19, 2020 at 8:10 pm

Thanks Poonam, it can be used as a salsa or a salad.

• Kalyani

January 20, 2020 at 10:56 am

My litte one likes kiwi fruit & am sure this salsa would really be refreshing on a hot summers day for her. That anecdote about a teacher bringing in the kiwi seeds to NZ made for a very interesting read, Mayuri !

January 20, 2020 at 3:44 pm

Thanks Kalyani, hope your little one loves it.

• Jolly

January 25, 2020 at 1:46 pm

This kiwi cucumber salad looks and sounds so refreshing. I loved the combination of tanginess from kiwi & lemon with crunchy cucumbers. Touch up of pomegranate are eye-catching the salad & I would never mind & happily finish off this bowl as a salad. Such a lovely share!

January 25, 2020 at 7:27 pm

Thank you so much Jolly, I too love to enjoy it on its own as a salad.

• Vidya Narayan

January 25, 2020 at 4:38 pm

The Kiwi Salsa looks so vibrant! My husband is a huge Kiwi Fan, unlike me, so when he buys excess, I make a salsa like this to enjoy with Khakras. Seriously, I love salsas of any kind as they burst with both flavor and one can actually add quite a lot of things from the refrigerator to make it interesting. I normally add regular onions, will try with spring onions next time to make it more green, like you have.

January 25, 2020 at 7:26 pm

Thank you so much Vidya, we too love salsa and when I don’t get spring onion, I too add regular onion.

• Paarul Mehta

January 27, 2020 at 4:06 pm

This kiwi salsa looks so refreshing and full of flavors. I make this often to top it on masala papa’s or just roll it in chapati for quick snack option on weekends…Loved the beautiful greens with that crisp nachos in the side.

January 28, 2020 at 7:11 pm

Thanks Paarul, like the idea of enjoying the salsa with masala papad or chapati.

• Sasmita Sahoo Samanta

February 1, 2020 at 7:38 am

WOW !!!! Love this combination. kiwi and cucumber sounds a lovely combo for salsa. I will too surely enjoy with some tortilla chips….

February 1, 2020 at 11:20 am

Thanks Sasmita.

• Preethi Prasad

July 22, 2020 at 3:33 pm

Kiwi and cucumber salsa looks scrumptious. Beautiful colour and clicks too. Interesting recipe.

July 22, 2020 at 5:15 pm

Thank you so much Preethi.