271. sweet corn and mushroom soup
We are back to soups for dinner. Besides making soups that have already been blogged I am always trying to make new soups. I hate repeating any of the dishes within a week. Call it being spoilt for choice or having time on my hands or whatever. I love cooking and new recipes excite me. For a very long time I have been meaning to try out a simple and quick sweetcorn and mushroom soup. Finally the day came. I made the soup last night for dinner. Ajay loved it (remember he is my main critic). There have been recipes that he has rejected completely e.g. my tomato bread! When I ask him what is wrong with the end result, he cannot pin point exactly but just says either the taste is wrong, or the texture is not proper or the combination of spices too overpowering or bland. I have to figure it out. So still working on the tomato bread. So coming back to the soup, when he sipped the first spoonful and said yummy, I was itching to blog the recipe. Unfortunately, our internet was down last night because the building that houses the main office(Africaonline) caught fire. This being a corrupt third world country, the firemen were left staring at the disaster as they did not have the proper equipment to put out the fire which was raging in the upper what seemed like 8th to 10th floor. However, internet service has been restored since morning. As to getting updates on the local channels about the fire….. it seems a fire in a tall building in Mombasa is not news!
So life carries on as usual for everyone and I am blogging but can see the burnt building from my window and am left wondering as to how many people may have been injured in this accident.
SWEET CORN AND MUSHROOM SOUP
1 cup chopped mushrooms
½ cup cooked sweet corn
¼ cup finely chopped french beans
¼ cup finely diced carrot
¼ cup finely chopped onion
2 to 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 tsp ginger paste or thin slivers of ginger
3 tbsps cornflour
3 cups water or stock
1 tsp salt
1 tsp wine vinegar or any other vinegar
½ to1 tsp chilli sauce
1 tbsp oil
1 to 2 tsps dark soy sauce
- Mix cornflour in a ¼ cup of water and keep on the side till required.
- In a deep pan heat the oil over high heat.
- When it is hot, add the onion,garlic,ginger, carrot and french beans. Stir fry for a minute.
- Add mushrooms and sweet corn. Stir fry for 30 seconds or so.
- Add the remaining water or stock. Bring the soup to a gentle boil.
- Add the cornflour mixture, stirring the soup all the time. Stir till it begins to thicken slightly.
- Add salt, soy sauce, vinegar and chilli sauce. Mix and serve.
- Serve with some extra soy sauce and chilli sauce.
- Don’t overcook the vegetables. Once the soup begins to boil, add the cornflour, mix till it thickens and take it off the heat.
- To maintain the crispiness of the vegetables serve the soup immediately.
- I used my homemade garlic chilli sauce or chutney. You can buy any chilli sauce from the market.
- Add any vegetables that you may have at home like zucchini, broccoli, celery, etc.
- I would have loved to garnish the soup with some chopped spring onions or chives but didn’t get any in the market.
- If you use stock for the soup, add less salt.
You may want to check out the following:
Sending this recipe for the following events: