Beetroot Carrot Salad
EVENT: FOODIES_ REDOING OLD POSTS #32
Updated on 21/08/2020
Beetroot Carrot Salad is one of the easiest salads to put together. I simply love how well the red from the beetroot and orange from the carrot complement each other and makes the salad super tempting. Obviously, the first time photos for the salad were horrible. I’ve tried to take better clicks. The recipe remains the same. Anyway, who follows a fixed salad recipe? I don’t. Add whatever ingredients you like.
If it were not for the group Foodies _ Redoing Old Posts, this post may never have got a breath of fresh air, new look and probably wouldn’t have taken time to read a bit about my awesome kids. Its a bi monthly group, where members redo old posts and share on Facebook. That way we are able to get some bloggers’ love towards our forgotten posts. The idea of redoing old posts as a group was Renu’s idea. Renu blogs at Cook With Renu.
Beetroot Carrot Salad
An easy beetroot carrot salad recipe, orange and red what a beautiful combination. No, not talking about an outfit coordination but a simple and yet a very healthy and tasteful salad. So far all the beetroot salads I’ve posted have cooked beetroot. But did you know that raw beetroot is edible and equally tasty and healthy?
This is a very simple salad to put together and is a great salad for barbecues, dinner parties, as light lunch or as an accompaniment to a main dish. Adding different kinds of seeds, raisins makes it all that more nutritious. Feel free to add any types of seeds, nuts and dried fruits you like. What I like about salads is that we can add or remove any ingredient, make a dressing you like or simply squeeze some lemon, sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper and you’re good to go.
I can’t believe that my babies are now adults, making their own decisions, trying to find their own niche in this ever competitive world and being ‘parents’ to hubby and me. Yes, parents as they now advise us what we should do. How tables have turned. This got me thinking today and I thought I need to pen it down. I constantly keep on reminding my kids that if ever hubby and I are being stubborn, unreasonable or difficult they need to let us know.
Growing old does mean that we’re wiser but that’s not always the case. Its a pity I’m not able to tell my aging dad that he is being stubborn or unreasonable as he thinks that I’m being disrespectful. However, as he is getting older, he forgets that my siblings, cousins, nieces, nephews are all adults and can make their decisions and all have to live their lives, taking care of social and work responsibilities.
All in all, we have to know when to set our kids free and allow them to make their own decisions. Personally, I feel they haven’t done badly at all. All three understand and maintain a good balance between work and family. We all are oceans apart and I miss them terribly. However, everyone has to lead their live the way they want and where they want.
Some More Beetroot Recipes:
- Healthy sugar free Beetroot Blueberry Pops make an excellent summer time treat.
- Enjoy a gluten free steamed snack Beetroot Ammini Kozhukattai.
- Sugar free Beetroot Energy Balls make a great snack.
- Serve Beetroot Appe as breakfast.
- Have you tried Beetroot Ice Cream?
- Bake red velvet muffins without adding artificial red coloring. Try Beetroot Red Velvet Muffins.
- Hubby and I love Beetroot Cutlets.
- Beetroot Mango Feta Salad is literally a burst of flavors.
- This Beetroot Rice is a meal on its own, you wouldn’t need anything else.
- Looking for a different kind of halwa? Try out Beetroot Halwa.
- Enjoy a refreshing Beetroot Watermelon Juice to quench your thirst.
- Banana Beetroot Smoothie is filling and delicious.
- Grape Beetroot Salad makes a great party salad.
- Enjoy a delicious hot Beetroot Tomato Soup as a starter.
- My favorite is Avocado Beetroot Salad
- Make fresh Beetroot Tomato Juice at home.
- A never fails to impress Beetroot Orange Salad is very tasty.
- Enjoy a cooling Beetroot Lassi to beat the heat during summer.
- I’d love to try out Renu’s Beetroot Idli and Uttapam recipe.
Ingredients required for Beetroot Carrot Salad:
- Raw Beetroot – peeled and shredded
- Raw Carrot – peeled and shredded
- Sunflower Seeds – roasted
- Pumpkin Seeds – roasted
- Raisins – or any other dried fruit of your choice
- Fresh Coriander – Cilantro or dhania pluck the leaves
- Lemon Juice
- Garlic – minced
- Olive oil
- Honey or Maple Syrup – optional as both beetroot and carrot are naturally sweet
- Pepper – I prefer to use freshly ground pepper
- Gluten Free
- Vegan – don’t add honey
- For Satvik friendly salad don’t add garlic
BEETROOT CARROT SALAD
FOR THE SALAD:
- 1 cup shredded beetroot
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 2 tbsp roasted sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp roasted pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp raisins
- ¼ cup fresh coriander
FOR THE GARLIC LEMON DRESSING:
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup optional
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp coarse pepper powder
PREPARATION OF GARLIC LEMON DRESSING:
- Whisk all the dressing ingredients together.
- I like to add them into a jar, close the lid tightly and give it a good shake.
PREPARATION OF THE SALAD:
- Mix carrot and beetroot together in a bowl.
- Add the dressing and toss.
- Cover the bowl with a tight lid or cling film and allow it to cool in the fridge till required.
- This allows the dressing falvour to infuse into the carrot and beetroot.
- Just before serving add the seeds, raisins and fresh coriander. Toss and serve.
- Add dried fruits of your choice like cranberries, goji berries, sultanas, etc
- Add nuts if you like.
- Serve with parmesan cheese if you like.
- Add mint or basil instead of coriander.
Pin for later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962