banana beetroot smoothie
updated : 01/08/2018
Smoothies are a rage all over the world. Smoothies for breakfast, smoothies for in between meals, smoothies for lunch, smoothies for desserts, the options are endless. What is actually a smoothie? Hadn’t even heard of the word smoothies when I was growing up.
Smoothies are drinks that usually are pretty thick in consistency, are cold and very filling. Its like having a meal in a glass.
What do you need to make smoothies?
a) A liquid like water, milk, yogurt, juice
b) fresh fruits or vegetables like spinach, beetroot, pumpkin, carrots to name a few
c) sweetener can be sugar, honey, maple syrup, artificial sweeteners, stevia etc
d) spices which is optional like cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg etc
e) nuts or nut butters which are optional
f) add ons like protein powder, seeds, moringa etc
g) herbs like mint, coriander, basil etc
i) ice creams which again is totally optional
j) oats, cooked millets, millet flours etc.
Any combination of the above makes a smoothie. How did the banana beetroot smoothie appear in my kitchen? Well, I love having smoothies for breakfast and I tend to add oats to my morning smoothies. Just before traveling to Nairobi, I had one small beetroot left in the fridge and some bananas. So breakfast before the trip was a healthy pink reddish smoothie. I didn’t need to add any sweetener as beetroot and banana are both naturally sweet. However if you want it extra sweet add a sweetener of your choice.
Check out easy and nutritious smoothie. Filling and delicious too.
BANANA BEETROOT SMOOTHIE
2 frozen bananas
1 small beetroot, raw or boiled
1½ cups cold milk or yogurt
4 tbsp oats
¼ tsp cardamom powder
2 tbsp nuts, chopped
1 tbsp chia seeds
- Chop the beetroot into tiny cubes
- Put the frozen banana, chopped beetroot, cardamom powder, oats and milk or yogurt into a blender jug.
- Process till you get a smooth consistency.
- Pour the smoothie into serving glasses.
- Top with chopped nuts and chia seeds. Serve.
- Cut bananas into slices before you freeze them. Its best to place the slices on a tray and freeze. This way its easier to process the slices rather than a lump of frozen banana.
- If you don’t have frozen banana then use fresh ones. Add ice cubes to get a thick cold consistency.
- You can used boiled, steamed or roasted beetroot or raw. Both taste great.
- Add 1-2 tsp cocoa powder for a chocolate banana beetroot smoothie.
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962
You may want to check out other smoothie recipes: