beetroot orange salad
EVENT: MY FIRST RECIPE ON THE BLOG
With much excitement and a little nervousness here’s my first recipe. Most people make new year resolutions and the most commonest one is to become healthy, get healthier or lose some weight. Whatever the resolution might be, I thought starting on a healthy note is befitting. This salad recipe has been tried and tested numerous times and is very popular in our family. Salads should always appear colourful to the eye, must taste sweet, tangy, crunchy and a wee bit chilli or pungent.The combination of sweet beetroot with a tangy orange becomes a very flavourful, refreshing and a filling salad. I have it often as a light meal. The serving is for 2 if it’s served along with a main meal or for 1 if you want to have it as a light meal. I try and cut the onion slivers as thin as possible as I don’t like the overpowering taste of the thick slices.
Not only have I updated the photos, but also a bit of the write up. When I first sat down to begin this blog, I had no idea what to write, how to take the photo and how to get noticed by the world besides my family and friends. Its been hard work to get somewhat noticed in the blogging world as there are so many food blogs out there.
However, I’m not complaining as I’ve made so many blogger friends, my photography has improved, my writing skills too are honed. Along the way I have also learnt that I really don’t need everyone’s approval to enjoy what I love the most and that is cooking. I began the blog as a way to jot down my recipes, to treasure heirloom recipes, to share recipes with friends and families. Its grown into a blog where I not only note down recipes but also write down my memories and experiences. I’ve recently also started writing about my travels. Wish I had started earlier.
If you’re on this page, I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for you valued support.
BEETROOT ORANGE SALAD
1 fresh orange
1 medium beetroot
1 tiny red onion (about 3tbsp)
8 – 10 lettuce leaves
a few fresh mint leaves
Orange Dressing :
4 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp orange juice
1 tsp lemon juice
½ tsp orange rind
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
- Grate the orange rind and keep aside. Peel the orange and cut into chunks or thin slices.
- Peel and boil the beetroot. Cut into chunks or thin slices.
- Peel the onion and cut into thin slivers.
- Wash and dry the lettuce leaves. Tear into pieces.
- Put the orange, beetroot, onion and lettuce into a bowl.
- Make the dressing by adding salt, pepper,orange and lemon juice and orange rind to the olive oil. Whisk it well. Drizzle it over the salad and serve.
- Instead of lettuce can use any mixed salad leaves or baby spinach leaves.
- Store the extra grated rind in the freezer. Can use it for desserts, other salads or for baking.
- Those living in the western countries you may use the ready boiled beetroot available in the stores.
- I find it easier to peel the orange rind with a peeler. Then it becomes easier to remove the white skin and then slice it with a sharp knife.
Pin for Later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962