Beetroot Orange Salad
EVENT: MY FIRST RECIPE ON THE BLOG
With much excitement and a little nervousness here’s my first recipe, Beetroot Orange Salad. Most people make new year resolutions and the commonest one is to become healthy, get healthier or lose some weight. Whatever the resolution might be, I thought that starting on a healthy note is befitting. In order to get the post started, sat at computer wondering how to begin. Then I realized taking a tiny step is the best. Hence, a simple recipe.
MY BLOGGING JOURNEY
It has been a tough journey. However, I’m not complaining as I’ve made so many blogger friends, my photography has improved, my writing skills too are honed. Along the way I have also learnt that I really don’t need everyone’s approval to enjoy what I love the most and that is cooking. I began the blog as a way to jot down my recipes, to treasure heirloom recipes, to share recipes with friends and families. A blog that has grown not only a place where I note down recipes but also write down my memories and experiences. I’ve recently also started writing about my travels. Wish I had started earlier.
BEETROOT ORANGE SALAD
This salad recipe has been tried and tested numerous times and is very popular in our family. Salads should always appear colourful to the eye, must taste sweet, tangy, crunchy and a wee bit chilli or pungent. The combination of sweet beetroot with a tangy orange becomes a very flavourful, refreshing and a filling salad. Light meals for me usually means a good salad like this one. Serves 2 if eaten as an accompaniment, but serves only 1 person if enjoyed as a light meal. Cutting the onion into thin slices makes its more flavorful as I don’t like the overpowering taste of thick slices.
A bit about Beetroot
Beetroot, also known as beet, garden beet, table beet or red beet is a tap root of the beetroot plant. A great source of fibre, Vitamin B9 and vital minerals, it can eaten raw or cooked. High concentrate of nitrates means that beetroot is very good to keep ones blood pressure at an optimum level.Beetroot contains a pigment called betalains which possesses several anti -inflammatory properties. Nitrates present in beetroot also supports good brain health.
How can you use beetroot in your diet?
- The most common way is to include it in your salads like Beetroot Carrot Salad, Avocado Beetroot Salad or Beetroot Mango Feta Salad.
- Enjoy it as a cooling drink Beetroot Watermelon Juice, or as a smoothie like the filling and delicious Banana Beetroot Smoothie.
- Have you ever tasted Beetroot Rice? Go on check out the recipe.
- Want to serve it as a starter in the form of Beetroot Cutlets or Beetroot Ammini Kozhukkatai.
- Beetroot is so versatile that it can be served in the form of a dessert too. Check out my Beetroot Ice Cream ,Beetroot Halwa or Beetroot Energy Balls
- Did you know you can use beetroot to bake Red Velvet Muffins without using any artificial red food colour as the beetroot is enough to give that classic red velvet look.
- Gluten free
Not only have I updated the photos, but also a bit of the write up. When I first sat down to begin this blog, I had no idea what to write, how to take the photo and how to get noticed by the world besides my family and friends. Its been hard work to get somewhat noticed in the blogging world as there are so many food blogs out there.
If you’re on this page, I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for you valued support.
BEETROOT ORANGE SALAD
FOR THE BEETROOT ONION SALAD
- 1 large orange
- 1 medium beetroot, cooked
- 1 small onion sliced
- some salad leaves washed and wiped dry
- 8-10 fresh mint leaves
FOR THE ORANGE DRESSING:
- 2-4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp orange rind/zest grated
- ¼ - ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper powder
- PREPARATION OF THE SALAD:
- Wash and wipe the orange. Grate the peel, making sure you don't grate the white part.
- Keep the grated rind on the side.
- Peel off the white part of the orange.
- Cut the orange into slices or chunks.
- Cut the beetroot into slices or chunks.Add to the orange chunks or slices.
- Tear the salad pieces or leave it whole, depending on which kind of leaves your are using.
- Add the salad leaves and mint to the mixture.
- Finely slice the onion and add to the salad.
PREPARATION OF ORANGE DRESSING:
- Make the dressing by adding salt, pepper,orange and lemon juice and orange rind to the olive oil. Whisk it well.
- Drizzle it over the salad and serve.
- Store the extra grated rind in the freezer. Can use it for desserts, other salads or for baking.
- I find it easier to peel the orange rind with a peeler. Then it becomes easier to remove the white skin and slice it with a sharp knife.
- Use any salad leaves including baby spinach, beetroot leaves, etc.
Pin for Later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email email@example.com
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962