211. beetroot rice
A very pink treat
Special Theme: Redo old posts
BM#78 Week 4 Day 1
Who doesn’t love a bowlful of delicious slightly spicy rice? I love adding all sorts of veggies to rice to make it into a wholesome meal. Whenever, I run out of ideas what to make, rice comes to the rescue. I simply love this beetroot rice as its filling and any excuse to have some French fries!
Beetroot is so versatile. Juice it, cook it, soup it, add to salads, add to muffins, cakes and breads. Amazing the number of dishes one can make using beetroot. Either cooked or raw, I love beetroot. My sister in law Shreya makes yummy rice with beetroot. I didn’t get the exact recipe from her as I want it to taste different from mine whenever she makes it for us. I made my own version of beetroot rice and I was pretty pleased with the result. Since then have made it thrice and forgot that I have not blogged the dish as yet to share with you all. So here’s a good Sunday lunch treat, the kids may love it too as it includes french fries (chips).
1 cup long grain rice like basmati
2 cups water
1 cup thinly sliced onions
1 cup cooked grated beetroot
3 tbsps oil or ghee
1 tsp ghee (clarified butter)
2 bay leaves
½ cup cashew nuts cut into big pieces and roasted
2 tsp garlic paste
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp green chilli paste
1″ cinnamon stick
4 whole cardamoms
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
pinch of asafoetida (hing)
1½ tsp salt
½ to 1 tsp garam masala
½ cup chopped spring onion
2 tbsps finely chopped mint
2 big potatoes cut into long strips for french fries
8 to 10 cherry tomatoes or 1 big tomato cut into chunks
oil for frying the french fries
- Wash the rice and let it soak in the 2 cups of water for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime fry the french fries (chips) and keep it on the side till required.
- Drain out the water from the rice into a saucepan. Heat the water. Add cloves, cinnamon and cardamom.
- When the water begins to boil, add ½ tsp salt from the required amount and 1 tsp ghee.
- Add the rice and cook till its done. Do not overcook as you want each grain to be separate.
- Remove the cooked rice into a big plate or tray. Spread it out gently with a fork and let it cool down.
- Heat oil or ghee in a wide pan.
- Add cumin seeds, bay leaves and a pinch of asafoetida.
- Add sliced onions and stir fry over medium heat till it begins to turn brown.
- Add garlic, ginger and chilli paste and stir fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, and grated beetroot. Stir fry for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add salt and garam masala. Mix well.
- Add the rice,cashew nuts and french fries. Mix well.
- Add the spring onions and chopped mint.
- Mix gently and serve with your favourite raita or plain yogurt.
- Adjust the spices according to your taste.
- Add almonds if you don’t have any cashew nuts.
- If you want to keep the rice warm, put it in a ovenproof dish. Sprinkle some milk or water over it. Cover with a foil and leave it in the oven at 150°C for 15-20 minutes.
- Can re heat in a pan too.