Beetroot Tomato Juice
updated Beetroot Tomato Juice : 27/06/2020
My Family and Fresh Juices
Fresh juices are most welcome when the sun is beating down on you and sweating zaps you of your energy. My family is a big consumer of fresh fruit juices. In fact my hubby and eldest son would rather have some juice instead of water. Even though all the ‘fresh’ juice cartons mention no added sugar, I seriously don’t believe them as all the juices taste really sweet. Therefore, I try as much as possible to make fresh fruit juices at home. I know they all would prefer the sweetest juices like fresh passion fruit, lemonade or even sugar cane juice every single day but I don’t make it often. Usually I prefer either watermelon or pineapple juices as I don’t need to add any sugar in them. Beetroot Tomato Juice pretty soon became a common juice for all to enjoy especially during the hot and humid days.
Why include Beetroot Tomato Juice in your diet?
Benefits of Beetroot
Whenever I go to the market to shop for fruits and vegetables, the vendors will shout out “nunuwa chakula kwa damu” which literally translates to buy food for the blood enticing shoppers to buy beetroots.
- Beetroot helps to lower blood pressure
- Helps to increase blood flow to the brains which in turn prevents the progress of dementia
- Rich in fibre its help to keep the digestive system to function well
- The powerful phytonutrients that gives the beetroot its deep crimson colour helps to ward off cancer
- Beetroot is packed with essential vitamins and minerals
- Dietary nitrates present in beetroots helps to energize one’s body
- Low in calories high in dietary fibre and with moderate amount of protein, it helps in weight loss
Benefits of Cooked Tomatoes
- In this recipe I use cooked tomatoes as they bring out more of the lycopene.
- Lycopene improves heart health and reduces risk of certain cancers.
- Has anti inflammatory properties
- Rich in antioxidants
Fresh Orange Juice
Freshly squeezed orange juice is added to the juice as when one cooks the tomatoes, a bit of the Vitamin C is lost. Therefore we top it up with orange juice. If you don’t have fresh orange juice add a bit of freshly squeezed lemon.
Beetroot Tomato Juice and Memories …
My mother in law use to prepare this juice every single day for my father in law. We called it Dada’s health drink. He thoroughly loved it because of the sweetness from the beetroot and a little tanginess from the orange juice. It sometimes was a meal replacement for him.
This recipe has become a juice that I prepare often for hubby and me. It prevents hubby from reaching out for the sweet Ribena drink to quench his thirst if I have healthy juices in the fridge.
Some other Homemade Fresh Juices
Ingredients required for Beetroot Tomato Juice:
- Beetroot – raw or cooked, whichever you prefer. I prefer to roast the beetroot.
- Tomatoes – I usually roast them added lycopene benefit, but can use them raw.
- Orange Juice – freshly squeezed
- Salt – according to your taste to bring out the flavours
- Pepper Powder – for flavour
- Cumin Powder – I may sometimes omit pepper powder but don’t leave out cumin powder as it adds a wonderful earthy flavour to the juice
How long does fresh juice stay fresh?
While its recommended that one consumes the juice as soon as its processed, sometimes that may not be possible. Store it in an airtight container preferably filling right up till the top to prevent oxidation. If you’ve made a large amount of juice you can freeze it for later use. I usually bring it down from the freezer into the fridge and leave it overnight. Its ready to drink the next day.
- Gluten Free
- Kids Friendly
- Immunity booster
Can you add other vegetables or fruits too?
Most certainly you can. I’ve sometimes added watermelon, kiwi, strawberries, carrot, spinach, etc.
BEETROOT TOMATO JUICE
- 1 medium beetroot (apporx 200g) peeled and cubed
- 2 medium tomatoes quartered
- 1 cup orange juice freshly squeezed
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Chop beetroot and tomatoes and layer them out in a baking tray which is very lightly greased with oil or butter.
- Roast the beetroot and tomatoes in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Let the roasted beetroot and tomaotes cool down.
- Add them to the blender jug along with the orange juice, salt and pepper.
- Process it.
- I prefer not to strain the juice in a strainer or sieve but you can do so.
- Add ice cubes in tow glasses.
- Pour the juice over the ice cubes.
- Sprinkle cumin powder on top and serve.
- If youre using raw beetroot and tomato then you may need to strain the juice.
- If you don't want to roast the beetroot and tomatoes then boil them in ½ cup water. Use the water along with the orange juice ot prepare the drink.
Pin for later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962