181. sukhi bhaji(farari bateta nu shaak)
kids will love it.
Potatoes are very healthy. They are rich in carbohydrates, has high content of dietary fiber and many vitamins, minerals and anti oxidants. Since they are full of carbohydrates, potatoes give you the feeling of fullness for a long period of time. What makes them unhealthy is when we fry them or load them with butter, mayonnaise,tonnes of oil etc. The following recipe of sukhi bhaji is very popular in our family. We make it when we have guests, big dinner parties and when its Ekadashi. Sukhi means dry and bhaji is shaak or vegetable. So basically this a a dry vegetable made from potatoes. Serve it with rotlis, parathas or have it on its own with some yogurt. Goes well with ras… mango juice. Ras, rotli, sukhi bhaji, kadhi, rice etc etc etc. Who is drooling? Coming Sunday, that’s my menu so come over.
SUKHI BHAJI (FARARI BATETA NU SHAAK)
3 big potatoes
½ cup roughly chopped cashew nuts
¼ cup raisins
3 tbsps oil
1 tsp coarse pepper powder
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1 tbsp sesame seeds (tal)
½ cup chopped fresh coriander
10 to 12 curry leaves (kari patta, limbdi)
2 green chillis chopped into rings
1 tsp sugar
1 to 1¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp lemon juice
- Boil the potatoes. Peel and let them cool down.
- When the potatoes are cold, cut them into big chunks.
- In a tiny bowl mix cashew nut pieces and raisins.
- In another tiny bowl mix coriander, chillis and curry leaves.
- In a third bowl mix sesame seeds, cumin seeds and pepper.
- Heat oil in a wide pan over medium heat.
- When it is hot add the sesame seed mixture. Stir fry for a few seconds.
- Add the cashew nut and raisin mixture. Stir fry till the raisins begin to plump up.
- Add the coriander mixture, stir fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the potato cubes, salt and sugar.
- Mix gently. Lower the heat and let the potatoes get hot. Stir gently occasionally.
- Add lemon juice and mix and serve.
- Add coarse peanut powder instead of cashew nuts.
- Make sure the potatoes are cold before you cut them. If you try and cut hot potatoes, they tend to crumble.
- Can use baby potatoes instead of normal potatoes.
- Add crushed chillis if you are serving this dish to children.