21. cool, refreshing meal
An apple a day keeps the doctor away so they say. However, I don’t want to keep my doctor away so I don’t eat an apple a day. There are a variety of apples available throughout the year. Apples are a rich source of dietary fibre, potassium and flavonoids which help to inhibit the growth of carcinogenic substances.Eating an apple keeps you full for at least 2 to 3 hours. I prefer to eat apples in salads and not on its own. If I do have it on its own then I prefer it with a pinch of salt and red chilli powder. The crunchy apple salad is a very easy and quick dish to prepare. A nutritious but satisfying meal to have for lunch . Use any variety of apple you like. I had the pink lady variety so used that. I have even prepared it using the green apples and love it.
CRUNCHY APPLE SALAD
2 apples, cored and sliced thinly
2 handfuls of lettuce leaves, any variety
12 olives, black or green, sliced
14 walnuts, lightly roasted and cut into big pieces
2 tbsps olive oil
1 tbsps lemon juice
2 tsps honey
1/2 tsp salt or according to taste
1/2 tsp black pepper or chilli powder
- In a small bowl whisk the dressing ingredients together with a small whisk or fork.
- Put all the ingredients for the salad in a serving bowl.
- Pour the dressing over it and serve.
- If the salad leaves have wilted a bit, soak it in ice cold water for for 15 to 30 minutes. Remove from the water and pat dry the leaves with a tea towel.
- Mix 2 varieties of apples.
- Add cubes of cheese if you like.
- If you are serving the salad later, pour the dressing over it just before serving. However, remember to mix a bit of lemon juice with the apples so that they do not turn brown.