Apple Dessert Pizza
EVENT: WE KNEAD TO BAKE
RECIPE: APPLE DESSERT PIZZA
What is an Apple Dessert Pizza?
Did you know that tomatoes were brought to Europe around the 16th Century. Before that pizza topping did not include tomato. In fact it was anything from cheese, fruits, pine nuts, raisins to honey. Though not commonly found, dessert pizza do exist and are found in some of the pastry shops in Italy. Over time dessert pizza has evolved to include so many different ingredients that are commonly used for desserts – fruits, nuts, dried fruits, sauces, chocolate, candy, etc. After enjoying a fruity pizza as dessert during our trip to Italy, I had to try out an apple dessert pizza.
We stayed at the Grand Dino Hotel in Baveno and they served a fruity pizza for breakfast. What a fun way to enjoy fruits and a pizza base together.
My Apple Dessert Pizza
I’m a huge fan of apple crisp or crumble. I decided to use the flavours for an apple dessert pizza. Cooked apples layered on the pizza base, along with the crumble and nuts. Just before serving add a glaze(glace icing).
We Knead to Bake Group:
This awesome group started by Aparna who blogs at My Diverse Kitchen. This is where every month enthusiastic bakers get together to bake according to the theme decided. This month the theme was Pizza. The topping and base can be different from the normal pizzas that we so often enjoy. As I was traveling, I had not actually planned on participating. However, getting back home, my hands were itching to try out the dessert pizza which I had enjoyed so much at different places. One was actually topped with a gelato. Unfortunately, as the gelato was melting so fast, I didn’t waste time on taking a photo. As I mentioned above I love apple crumble and therefore decided to use that as a topping.
Memories of Baveno
Some Pizza based dishes worth checking out:
- Keto Fathead Dough Pizza
- Gluten Free Pizza Crust
- Pizza Swirl Bread
- Homemade Veggie Pizza
- Savory Pizza Muffins
- Eggplant Mini Pizza
- Veggie Pizza Rolls
- Caramel Apple and Plum Mini Pizza – Archana has used cookies as a base to create a relish dessert pizza.
Ingredients required for Apple Dessert Pizza:
- Flour – Plain flour or all purpose flour for both the pizza base, a bit for the apple topping and the crumble
- Butter – for the pizza base, crumble and apple topping
- Salt – a little for the pizza base
- White Sugar – a little for the pizza base
- Water – For both the pizza base and apple topping
- Apples – for the apple topping. Use any variety of your choice. I used Gala Apples
- Cinnamon Powder – for the apple topping and the crumble
- Brown Sugar – for the apple filling and the crumble
- Confectioners Sugar – powdered or icing sugar for the glace icing
- Milk – for the glace icing
- Mixed Nuts – lightly roasted for the topping
APPLE DESSERT PIZZA
For the base:
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 tbsp butter
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp instant dry active yeast
- ¼ -⅓ cup warm water
- For the apple topping:
- 2 medium apples
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tbsp plain flour
For the crumble layer:
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ tsp cinnamon powder
For the Glace Icing:
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tsp milk
- 2-3 tbsp mixed lightly roasted nuts
Preparation of the base:
- Put flour in a bowl. Mix in the sugar, salt and yeast.
- Rub butterl into the flour.
- Using warm water form a soft dough.
- Lightly flour the work top and knead the dough for 5 minutes till it is smooth and soft.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl.
- Cover with a cling film and let the dough rise till its double the size. This will take about an hour.
Preparation of the apple topping:
- Peel, core and dice the apples.
- Put them in a pan along with the butter and sugar.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat till the apples are done and the sauce is slightly thick.
- Sprinkle the flour and mix well. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the cinnamon powder and mix well. Leave the mixture on the side till required.
Preparation of the crumble:
- Place the flour, cinnamon powder and sugar in a bowl.
- Add the butter and lightly rub it into the flour mixture.
- Gently knock down the risen dough using your knuckles.
- Divide it into 6 parts.
- Grease a baking sheet lightly with butter.
- Take one part of the dough and roll it into a circle of 3 inches.
- Place it on the baking tray.
- Roll circles with the remaining dough.
- Let the rolled base rest for ten minutes.
- In the meantime preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Prick the base in a few places with a fork.
- Place it in the oven and bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove the tray from the oven.
- Put the apple topping on each base.
- Top it with the crumble.
- Bake the pizzas for 10 -15 minutes or till the edges are golden brown.
- Remove the pizzas from the oven and let them cool slightly on a wire rack.
Preparation of the Glace Icing:
- Mix powdered sugar and milk to form a smooth glace icing.
- Drizzle it over the pizzas.
- Garnish with chopped roasted mixed nuts and serve.
- You can replace the apples with pears.
Serve the dessert pizza on its own or with some fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Pin for Later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email email@example.com
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962