Baked cauliflower is a popular dish, but have you tried baked broccoli? I really don’t like steamed or boiled broccoli on its own. So the best way I like enjoying this vegetable is baking it with some sauce, cheese and sometimes adding other veggies like cauliflower, corn or mushrooms.Baked Broccoli makes a delightful dinner option, served with a salad on the side and home baked bread. Broccoli belongs to the cruciferous family i.e. in the same family as cauliflower, cabbage, mustard leaves, kale.
Health Benefits of Broccoli
- Broccoli contains twice the amount of Vitamin C compared to an orange.
- Rich in selenium, a mineral that has found to have anti cancer and anti viral properties.
- It is a rich source of folic acid, calcium, potassium.
- A good source of fiber
Some Broccoli Recipes you may want to have a look at:
- Garlicky Broccoli Quinoa– healthy and filling meal
- Broccoli Soup– creamy and with almonds this soup is comforting during the cold season
- With cheese cubes, dried fruit and pine nuts Broccoli Salad is a delightful light meal or when served with a main dish
- Vegan Baked Oats and Vegetable Bites – Renu has used broccoli rice to make these crunchy baked bites.
- Flatbread Stuffed with Broccoli – Priya makes a stuffing with broccoli for parathas or flatbread. Perfect breakfast option.
- Enjoy Archana’s Low Fat Broccoli Salad as a filling meal.
- Prepare Preethi’s creamy and delicious Broccoli Paneer and Peanut Masala or Curry. Enjoy it with some naan, roti or phulka.
- I definitely want to try out Narmadha’s crunchy, crispy and spicy Broccoli 65/ Broccoli Fry as a starter.
- Swati’s Broccoli and Mushroom Pulao can be enjoyed on its own with some raita as a filling meal. Making it in an Instant Pot is so much quicker.
- Poonam’s Broccoli Cutlets makes a wonderful snack to enjoy or even as a lunch box item for kids.
- Looking for a healthy but wholesome meal? Try out Sujata’s Vegan Broccoli Stir Fry.
Baked Broccoli with White Sauce
While I love baked broccoli with white sauce, it tastes equally good in a tomato based sauce or even a mixture of white and tomato, what is commonly called at some of the Italian restaurants here as pink sauce.
Add flavors and herbs of your choice. Add ginger, green chilli and give it an Indian flavour.
If possible don’t omit sprinkling the top with some bread crumbs. Its gives the overall bake a nice crusty top and taste too.
I prefer to blanch the broccoli in hot water just to be sure that they are cooked. But please do not overcook them.
Ingredients required for Baked Broccoli
- Broccoli – trim and cut into bite size florets
- Mushrooms – I’ve used button mushrooms, wiped and cut into halves
- Garlic – fresh garlic paste
- Salt – for the baked broccoli and the sauce
- Pepper – for the baked broccoli and sauce
- Flour – for the sauce can use either wheat flour or plain flour (all purpose flour)
- Nutmeg Powder – for flavouring
- Olive oil – to saute the vegetables
- Butter – for the white sauce
- Milk – for the sauce
- Chilli Flakes – for that little kick in the flavour
- Herbs – I’ve used dried herbs but you can add fresh ones
- Bread Crumbs – either white or brown for the topping
- Cheddar Cheese – or any cheese of your choice
- For Vegan version use vegan friendly milk and cheese
FOR BAKED BROCCOLI
- 2-3 cups big broccoli florets
- 1 cup mushrooms halved
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp garlic paste
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper powder
FOR THE WHITE SAUCE
- 1½ cup milk
- 2 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 2 tbsp plain or wheat flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper powder
- ½ tsp nutmeg powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano or mixed herbs
FOR THE TOPPING
- 2-3 tbsp bread crumbs
- ¾ -1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes
PREPARATION OF BROCCOLI
- Trim the broccoli and cut into bite size florets. It should be about 2-3 cups. Wash the florets well.
- Put some water to boil in a saucepan.
- Add the broccoli and blanch just for 2 minutes or so.
- Remove from the water and set the broccoli on the side till required.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan. Stir fry garlic.
- Add broccoli and mushroom. Mix well. Take the pan off the heat.
- Add salt and pepper and mix well.
PREPARATION OF THE WHITE SAUCE
- Heat the butter or oil over low heat in a pan. Add the flour and stir till it turns light pink.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the milk, stirring the flour mixture all the time. Return the pan to the heat.
- Stir the mixture till it thickens.
- Add the herbs,nutmeg powder, salt and pepper.
GET READY TO BAKE
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Mix the bread crumbs, cheddar cheese and chilli flakes.
- Add the sauce to the broccoli mushroom mixture.
- Mix well.
- Pour the mixture into an ovenproof baking dish or tray.
- Sprinkle the cheese mixture over the broccoli mushroom mixture.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or till the top becomes light golden brown.
- Serve with your favourite bread and salad.
- Use a mixture of cauliflower and broccoli. That too tastes really good.
- Use cheese of your choice.
- Don't throw away the water in which the broccoli was blanched. Use it to prepare soup.
- Use white or brown bread crumbs.
Pin for later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962
August 30, 2020 at 8:37 am
I love broccoli and mushroom combination.. and this baked dish looks so inviting.. a total comfort meal, thrown put together in a pan and baked to perfection.. loving and craving it some now. for the weekend dinner..
September 1, 2020 at 10:18 pm
Thank you so much Swaty. Enjoy when you make the dish.
The Girl Next Door
September 12, 2020 at 7:24 am
The baked broccoli looks delish! So cheesy and lovely – I would definitely love to get my hands on this. 🙂
I love the use of nutmeg powder here, for flavouring.
September 13, 2020 at 5:15 pm
Thank you so much Priya. Nutmeg adds a unique taste to the white sauce.
Bless my food by Payal
September 11, 2020 at 9:08 pm
Wow….the best way to make broccoli eat, especially to kids. The whole idea is fascinating and must try, preferably as weekend dinner.
September 13, 2020 at 5:16 pm
Thank you so much Shailender, I sometimes pair it cauliflower too. Its a perfect meal with some garlic bread.
September 14, 2020 at 6:06 pm
Wow, that looks so cheesy and so delicious. We love roasted broccoli and this cheesy broccoli is calling my name. Will definitely be trying this out soon.
September 14, 2020 at 6:38 pm
Thanks Pavani. Best way to get fussy eaters to enjoy broccoli.
September 16, 2020 at 4:10 pm
I love broccoli and your baked broccoli looks so tempting. Love the photos. Can’t wait to try this awesome recipe of yours. Thanks for sharing.
September 16, 2020 at 4:31 pm
Thank you so much Vandana. Its a great way to enjoy broccoli especially for fussy eaters.
September 16, 2020 at 9:35 pm
Aha Broccoli, my family loves it. Baked version looks so cheesy and delicious. Would love to try this sometimes. The perfect golden crust top is inviting me to dig in my spoon … Drooling
September 16, 2020 at 9:58 pm
Thank you so much Lata, the golden crust just adds an interesting texture to the overall dish. Do try out the dish and enjoy it with some garlic bread.
September 16, 2020 at 10:11 pm
this is a dish my whole family loves too. I like the combination of broccoli and mushroom that you have used.
September 17, 2020 at 3:59 pm
Thanks Sandhya, I try and add difficult veggies to the main broccoli every time.
September 17, 2020 at 12:50 pm
That first picture is super tempting mayuri ji!! Love this baked broccoli, yes i too agree, plain steamed broccoli has an acquired taste, i too prefer it with as much spice as possible! I bet this cheesy broccoli is going to be a hit with my kiddos!!! Love that recipe list with broccoli, i m eyeing that garlicky quinoa broccoli too!!
September 17, 2020 at 3:56 pm
Thanks Priya, the garlicky quinoa broccoli is healthy and delicious. As for baked broccoli, go on try it and can always add chilis to it to make it spicy.
September 17, 2020 at 1:19 pm
Creamy Baked Broccoli looks so good di. Never tried this recipe. I once made a tart with broccoli, we loved it. My family members would love this as well. It’s a delight to make this recipe.
September 17, 2020 at 3:54 pm
Thanks Malini, if your family loved the tart then am sure they will love this simple but flavorful bake.
September 17, 2020 at 8:21 pm
Baked broccoli looks creamy and delicous. I never tried broccoli like this. I usually bake along with cauliflower and carrots. If I get the vegan substitute i will try them like yours.
September 18, 2020 at 5:42 pm
Thanks Uma, I too add cauliflower sometimes.
September 18, 2020 at 9:12 pm
Wow…We love broccoli in baked form….I think that’s the best way to bring out its maximum taste!! The golden crust top is so perfect. I just need some garlic bread on the side and yum 😋
September 19, 2020 at 4:32 pm
Thank you so much Padma, we too love it with garlic bread.
Jagruti’s Cooking Odyssey
September 19, 2020 at 12:10 pm
A perfect cosy and comforting dish to try it out during the cooler days. One of our favourite dish when we want to have non-Indian dish.
September 19, 2020 at 4:29 pm
September 22, 2020 at 1:45 pm
Baked broccoli dish looks absolutely cheesy and gorgeous . Even I prefer broccoli with white sauce. I am sure combination of different flavors must have enhanced the taste of the dish and made it flavorful.
September 22, 2020 at 8:31 pm
Thank you so much Amrita. We too prefer broccoli with white sauce.