Honey Chilli Potatoes
RECIPE: HONEY CHILLI POTATOES
Honey Chilli Potatoes is a crispy, spicy, sweet and delicious snack or starter dish. In fact, this dish from the Indo Chinese Cuisine, it is very easy to make this dish. In addition, sprinkled with a generous amount of sesame seeds, it is finger licking good. Serve Honey Chilli Potatoes and Baby Corn Manchurian as a Starter for your party or as a snack option.
First time I had Honey Chilli Potatoes was at a food court in one of the malls in Bangalore. Instantly, fell in love with the dish immediately. In fact I landed up ordering another plate of this crispy snack. Not only I loved it because it was a potato dish but also the flavours were tantalizing to the tongue.
Around the time my daughter was in college, HSR Layout was a quiet place with hardly any restaurants and loaded of trees around. Therefore, to enjoy this dish we would have to go to the mall. Around that time rickshaw drivers would not want to take us back from Koramangala to HSR Layout, stating that it was too far.
First Time I Made It At Home
Once I got baby potatoes from Namdhari and decided to try out Honey Chilli Potatoes at home. In fact, the recipe is pretty easy. In short, my daughter and her friends finished off the snack in no time. For instance, if you make paneer, mushroom, baby corn, manchurian at home than you can make this finger licking snack or start at home.
Fast forward to present day HSR layout has expanded exponentially and is almost like a mini city. As a result, we no longer have to go to the city for shopping or dining. In fact, everything is there in HSR Layout. Therefore, with the number of Indo Chinese Restaurants in the area it is easy to order this potato snack.
Some More Potato Dishes To Check Out:
Similarly, are you a big fan of any dish which has potatoes? There are some dishes that I wouldn’t mind having everyday.
Deep Fry Or Shallow Fry?
As a matter of fact, I deep fry and shallow fry. Generally, deep fry the boiled potatoes whenever I have guests over. But, when I am preparing it just for the family then I prefer to shallow fry the boiled potatoes.
Similarly, the option of using an air fryer or roasting them is there.
What Kind Of Potatoes Do I Use?
My first introduction to dish was in the form of baby potatoes. So I prefer using baby potatoes. I have tried the dish using boiled potato wedges but even the family prefers baby potatoes. Having said that use whatever you prefer, baby potatoes, potato wedges, potato chunks.
For best flavour, use organic honey. Many brands have sugar added to it. So make sure you get a good quality honey. When in Kenya I prefer the Naturalli Brand of pure honey or the organic Kitui honey. In India I prefer to use the BB Royal brand.
If you want to make this dish for a party, there are certain things you can prepare ahead.
- Deep fry the potatoes and keep on the side. Fry till they are very crispy.
- Mix the sauce ingredients and keep ready.
- Chop the veggies and keep ready.
Ingredients Required For Honey Chilli Potatoes
- Potatoes – use starchy potatoes as they are the best for deep frying. Use baby potatoes, potato wedges or potatoes cut into chunks. Boil the potatoes in salted water till just done. If you are using large potatoes and then cutting them into wedges or chunks, first peel and cut them and then add to boiling salted water. Make sure you don’t over boil them.
- Garlic – peeled and some cut into slices and some minced. Need it for stir frying and the coating.
- Red Chilli Powder – I use a mixture of hot red chilli powder and Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder for the colour. Need it for the sauce and the coating.
- Soy Sauce – use more if you are using light soy sauce. If you are using dark soy sauce, you will need less. If it is dark I usually use only 1 tsp. For a gluten free version of this dish, use gluten free soy sauce or tamari sauce. Generally all soy sauce contain wheat flour.
- Tomato Sauce – use good quality tomato sauce or ketchup. Need it for the sauce and the coating.
- Salt – need it for the coating and the sauce. Also need some when boiling the potatoes.
- Cornflour – cornstarch. Need for the coating.
- Water – normal tap water, for the coating and the sauce.
- Oil – I use sunflower oil for deep or shallow frying the potatoes.
- Sesame Oil – for the stir fry. Sesame oil adds a delicious flavour to the overall dish. If you don’t have any, use any veg oil of your choice.
- Green Chillis – finely sliced. Use according to your taste.
- Ginger – peeled and cut into thin strips. Use according to your taste.
- Honey – use good quality honey. Add 1-2 tbsp, depending on how sweet you like the dish to be. For a vegan option use dark maple syrup or brown sugar.
- Vinegar – use rice vinegar or any other good quality vinegar like wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar. Here the preferred choice is white vinegar.
- Pepper Powder – for this dish I prefer to use coarsely ground pepper. However, you can also use fine pepper powder.
- Fresh Coriander – cilantro. For garnishing.
- Spring Onion – chop both the white and green part. For garnishing.
- Sesame Seeds – roast the sesame seeds lightly in a pan or tawa till they begin to pop. Make sure you roast them over low heat. Use the seeds for garnishing.
- Optional Ingredients : diced onion, bell pepper to stir fry along with the garlic. I have not added either as I want the flavour of garlic to shine.
HONEY CHILLI POTATOES
- 500 g potatoes use either normal or baby potatoes
FOR THE COATING:
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce thick
- ½-¾ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1-2 tbsp water
- oil for deep frying if deep frying
- 3 tbsp oil if shallow frying
FOR STIR FRYING:
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 4-6 cloves garlic peeled and finely sliced
- 1-2 green chillis sliced
- 1 tbsp ginger cut into thin strips
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce thick
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp water
- 1-2 tbsp honey
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp coarse pepper powder
- 1 tbsp soy sauce light
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh coriander or spring onions or both
- 2 tbsp roasted sesame seeds
PREPARATION OF THE POTATOES:
- Boil the baby potatoes. If you are using big potatoes, let them cool and then cut into chunks or wedges.
- Heat oil for either deep frying or shallow frying.
PREPARATION OF THE COATING:
- Put the coating ingredients in a bowl. Mix the ingredients.
- Add the potatoes and mix gently to coat the potatoes.
DEEP FRY OR SHALLOW FRY:
- When the oil is hot fry the potatoes in batches till they are light golden brown. If you are shallow frying them, keep of stirring occasionally so that the potatoes do not stick to the pan. I prefer to use a non stick pan.
- Keep the potatoes on the side till required.
PREPARATION OF THE SAUCE:
- Mix the ingredients for the sauce in a bowl.
PREPARATION OF HONEY CHILLI POTATOES:
- Heat sesame oil in a wide pan over high heat.
- Add the chopped chillis, ginger and garlic. Stir fry for a few seconds.
- Add the sauce, mix well and cook till it begins to become thick.
- Add the potatoes and mix gently so the sauce coats the potatoes.
- Just before serving, garnish with the roasted sesame seeds and chopped spring onion/ coriander.
- Adjust the spices according to your taste.
- If the sauce becomes too thick add a little water to it. Be careful as one tbsp makes a lot of difference to the sauce.
- Don't over boil the potatoes.
- Roast the sesame seeds over low heat in a wide pan or tawa.
- Add finely chopped onions and bell pepper along with the chilli, garlic and ginger if you like.
- Add a handful of roasted cashew nuts for a more richer dish.
- If you are using dark soy sauce, use only 1 tsp.
Pin For Later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email email@example.com
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962