Avocado Egg Sandwich
Avocado Egg Sandwich
Avocado Egg Sandwich is an easy, filling, delicious with a unique flavour kind of sandwich. Enjoy it for breakfast or lunch. Pack it in the lunch box for yourself or kids. Avocado adds creaminess and taste to an otherwise plain egg sandwich.
The first time I tasted avocado in a sandwich was some years back when my son Nikil suggested it. Initially,I just looked at him thinking “what an avocado in a sandwich”! I allowed him to make the sandwiches for us, not wanting to deter his culinary exploratory journey. The sandwiches were so creamy and delicious and flavourful. And since then avocados feature a lot in my sandwiches whenever possible.
A Meal On Its Own
I love preparing avocado egg sandwiches. That actually comes to my mind whenever sandwiches are mentioned. Sometimes I add tomatoes, cucumber, celery, spinach, grated carrots, salad leaves, etc. It all depends on what I have in the fridge.
Served with a salad, Avocado Egg Sandwich is a meal on its own. Sometimes, I add a few potato crisps (chips). But mostly, a lot of salad. Makes it a perfect hot season meal.
Some More Sandwich Recipes From My Blog:
Ingredients Required For Avocado Egg Sandwich
- Bread – use white or brown sliced bread, panini, ciabatta or a baguette. The type of bread you use also adds a unique taste. So I always try and use a variety of breads. Toast the bread lightly or leave it as it is. For this recipe I decided not to toast the slices as the bread was very fresh. In fact I made the sandwiches with my home baked Semolina Sesame Seed Bread.
- Avocado – a ripe avocado is the best. Can dice it, mash it, slice it. The choice is yours.
- Eggs – boil and peel them, make fried eggs, scramble them or make an omelette. For this recipe I boiled them simply as I prefer boiled eggs during the hot season.
- Lemon Juice – preferbaly fresh lemon or lime juice.
- Garlic Paste – a bit of garlic adds a lot of flavour to the sandwich.
- Green Chilli Paste – or use 1 chilli finely chopped. Add according to your taste or omit it.
- Salt – add according to your taste.
- Pepper Powder – add according to your taste. Freshly ground is the best.
- Fresh Coriander or Cilantro – washed and chopped finely. Or use any fresh herb of your choice, like mint or basil.
- Spring Onion – finely chopped both the green and white part. If you don’t have spring onion then add finely chopped onion. Use any, red, white or yellow.
AVOCADO EGG SANDWICH
- 4 buns panini or ciabatta or 8 slices of bread
- 1 medium avocado ripe
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp garlic paste
- ½ tsp green chilli paste or 1 chilli finely chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper powder
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander chopped
- 2 tbsp spring onion finely chopped
- 4 boiled eggs shelled and chopped
- Butter to spread on the bread optional
- some salad greens
- Boil the eggs in enough water for 7-10 minutes.
- Peel the slightly cooled eggs.
- Peel the avocado and dice it or mash it roughly.
- Add chopped coriander, spring onion, lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic and green chilli paste.
- Mix well.
- Cut the eggs into small pieces.
- Add to the avocado mixture and mix gently.
- Slice and toast the bread under the grill or broiler if you wish.
- Spread butter on it if you are using any.
- Layer a slice of bread with some salad leaves.
- Add the avocado egg mixture.
- Close with the other slice of bread.
- Repeat the above steps to prepare the rest of the sandwiches.
- Serve with your favourite salad.
- Adjust the salt and spices according to your taste.
- Add any other vegetables that you may prefer like shredded carrots, diced cucumber, diced tomato, chopped celery, baby spinach, etc.
- Add olives or capers if you like.
- Use any bread of your preference.
- Use any salad greens of your choice.
- Serve it with some potato crisps (chips).
Pin For Later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email email@example.com
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962