329. bean sprout salad
It has been a week since we arrived in Montreal. The city is full of restaurants and cafes. Its a clean, green and a very arty place. There are a lot of quaint little shops in the area my son Neel lives selling ceramics tableware, crockery,plants, clothes, organic shops, grocery stores, bakeries and so much more. Its wonderful to walk on pavements and where pedestrians have the right of way. Old Montreal is a wonderful place, full of art galleries, restaurants, huge parks, art stores and souvenir shops. The cobbled path, horse drawn carriages is contrasted by a very modern cocktail place right near the port.
Our first trip to a small (according to our son it is small and basic) Metro grocery was a delight compared to our enormous Nakumatt. The small store had a much wider choice of breads, fruits, vegetables,cheeses, fresh pasta and I could just go on. Since it is barely a 5 minute walk to Metro, my husband and I go daily to shop for our dinner. A few days ago I saw a packet of fresh bean sprouts and was dying to get home to make some salad.Getting such succulent beans sprouts in Mombasa is impossible, in fact we have to sprout the beans at home and mine never ever turn out so great. I was pleased with the delicious, crunchy and healthy salad.
BEAN SPROUT SALAD
4 cups bean sprouts
1 cup carrot matchsticks
¼ cup roasted soya nuts or peanuts
½ cup roasted cashew nuts
½ cup chopped spring onion
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp any good vinegar (I used red wine vinegar)
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp honey
½ tsp salt
1 tsp pepper powder
1 tbsp chilli sauce
- Wash the bean sprouts in a colander and let the water drain out. Put the sprouts on a clean kitchen towel and gently pat it to dry it.
- Peel and wash one large or 2 medium size carrots. Cut it into thin matchstick like strips.
- Wash and cut the spring onion.
- Mix the bean sprouts, carrots, spring onions and nuts.
- To prepare the dressing, whisk all the ingredients together and pour it over the salad just before serving.
- Use a good vinegar instead of a vinegar substitute.
- Soy sauce is salty so be careful about adding more salt.
- If you like, add freshly chopped red chilli.
- If you don’t get spring onion, add finely chopped white onion.
You may want to check out the following:
|orange carrot salad
sending this recipe for the following event: