Garlic Parmesan Hasselback Potatoes
EVENT: SUNDAY FUNDAY
THEME: GARLIC LOVERS
RECIPE: GARLIC PARMESAN HASSELBACK POTATOES
Garlic Parmesan Hasselback Potatoes, so crispy from the outside, the middle is tender and soft like mashed potato. Coupled with the flavors of butter, garlic, olive oil, parmesan and chilli flakes these potatoes are to die for!
What are Hasselback Potatoes?
Hasselback Potatoes, Potato à la hasselbacken or Hasselbackspotatis are baked potatoes that are sliced till the middle and open up like a fan on baking. These were invented by a trainee chef Leif Ellison who worked at Hasselbacken Restaurant in Stockholm. Though pretty popular nowadays this side dish, starter was invented in 1953. They also go by name of Accordion Potatoes or Pillbug Potatoes. I know I’m pretty late in trying out this awesome addictive dish but finally done it!
What Sort Of Potatoes To Use?
Any floury type of potatoes like Russet, Yukon Gold. I’ve used Royal Red Potatoes and took medium size ones. You can use small medium or large potatoes.
What Sort Of Fats to Use?
Use butter on its own or a mixture of butter and olive oil the way I did. For vegans can use vegan butter or oil. Some use bacon fat, duck fat.
Add any herbs, fresh or dried of your choice.
Can add cheese like I did. Make it into a hearty meal by adding cooked meat, fish, coleslaw, mushrooms, mince meat, crumbled paneer or tofu. Basically, anything that you would add to jacket potatoes or baked potatoes. You can also use sour cream, cream cheese, thick yogurt as add ons.
Use any slat you like, I used sea salt. Pepper, is a must. Add chilli, garlic if you like. I have added garlic as I feel potatoes and garlic are definitely made for each other.
What is Garlic?
Garlic belongs to the onion family Allium. Garlic is a common ingredient used worldwide as a seasoning. Its use goes back several thousands of years not only as a seasoning but also for medicinal purposes. Each segment of the garlic bulb is called a clove. The healthy bulb packed with allicin has anti fungal and anti bacterial properties. I remember when my kids were babies, if they had a bad cold, my mother in law would hang a slightly crushed clove of garlic near their head. This strong smell, though not pleasant helped to open up their noses and they could breathe more easily.
Garlic is a very popular seasoning used in the Indian Cuisine. From Curries, Side dishes, chutneys, pickles to drinks, garlic is the third most popular ingredient used in Indian homes world wide.
Some Recipes Where I’ve Used Garlic:
- Garlic and Tomato Chutney
- Tomato and Garlic Focaccia
- Turmeric And Garlic Pull Apart Bread
- Garlicky Broccoli Quinoa
- Mini Garlic and Chilli Pull Apart Bread
- Multigrain Garlic Naan
- Mildy hot Garlic and Red Pepper Chutney
- A delicious starter – Garlic Chilli Muhogo/ Cassava
- Garlic Rolls
- Coriander Garlic Chaas
- Chilli Garlic Pasta
Sunday Funday is a group of Food Bloggers who every Sunday share some fun, traditional, hearty or easy recipes to make Sunday Family Meals a bit more exciting. To join this fun group, visit the Sunday Funday Facebook Page. Request to join in. This Sunday the theme is GARLIC LOVERS suggested by Rebekah as April is National Garlic Month. She suggested we use garlic in our favorite, be it fresh, roasted, powdered, minced, whole or roasted. I’ve used loads of fresh garlic, minced -okay not loads but a generous amount.
Check Out How Fellow Bloggers Have Used Garlic in Their Favorite Recipe:
- Blackened Steak Caesar Salad by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Creamy Garlic Butter Tuscan Shrimp by Making Miracles
- Family Secret Garlic Bread by Food Lust People Love
- Garlic Parmesan Hasselback Potatoes by Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Garlic Roasted Salmon with Brussels Sprouts by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Garlicky Fregola with Edamame, Mint, and Ricotta by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Indo Chinese Style Schezwan Chutney by Cook with Renu
- Lasanachi Chutney | Maharashtrian style dry Garlic Chutney by Sizzling Tastebuds
- Red Garlic Chutney by Sneha’s Recipe
- Tomato, Basil, and Garlic Filled Bread by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Ingredients Required For Garlic Parmesan Hasselback Potatoes:
- Potatoes – use floury kind of potatoes or ones that you would use for French Fries and Wedges. I have used Royal Red Potatoes that are available here. Use Russet or Yukon Gold. Wash the potatoes properly as they are baked with the skin. Cut into slices, starting at one end. Each slice should be about 2-3 mm in thickness. DON’T SLICE THROUGH TILL THE BOTTOM BUT ONLY HALF WAY. As you reach the middle, turn and start cutting from the end towards the middle. If the potato moves or slides too much, rest it on a towel. Nowadays one can buy a hasselback potato cutter.
- Garlic – peeled and minced
- Olive Oil
- Salted Butter – melt it. For vegan option use vegan butter or oil.
- Salt – any of your choice and according to your taste.
- Pepper – coarsely ground pepper powder
- Parmesan – grated or any cheese of your choice.
- Herbs – I’ve used dried mixed herbs and added some dried rosemary too.
- Chilli Flakes – optional
GARLIC PARMESAN HASSELBACK POTATOES
- 4 medium potatoes approx. 500g
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 4 tbsp parmesan grated
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper powder
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
PREPARATION OF THE POTATOES
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Wash the potatoes properly. Check that no mud is left on them. Pat dry on a kitchen towel.
- Using a sharp knife, stand cutting the potatoes into 2-3 mm thick slices till the middle. Do not cut all the way through. Patience is required for this job.
- When you reach halfway, or to the centre, turn the potato and stand cutting from the end.I find it easier to slice evenly in this manner.
PREPARATION OF THE BUTTER MIXTURE:
- Mix melted butter, olive oil and salt.
BRUSHING THE POTATOES AND BAKING:
- Place the sliced potatoes in a baking dish.
- Brush the potatoes with the butter mixture about ⅓ of it or less. At this stage not much liquid will be used as the slices are too close to each other.
- Bake the potatoes for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime add minced garlic, parmesan cheese, herbs and chilli flakes in the remaining butter mixture.
- After 20 minutes remove the tray from the oven. Now the slices will be fairly apart. Carefully add the butter mixture in between the slices. I used a butter knife for this. Brush the top and sides of the potatoes with the liquid in the tray.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove the potatoes from the oven. Brush them again with the butter mixture. Return them to the oven.
- Bake further for 15 minutes. Remove the potatoes and brush them again with the butter mixture. Also brush them with the liquid from the tray.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Garlic Parmesan Hasselback Potatoes are ready to be served as a side dish, appetizer or as a main meal with add ons.
- Make sure you use potatoes that are generally used for French Fries.
- Add ons can be cooked meat, fish, mushrooms, paneer, tofu, salads, etc.
- Serve with sour cream, cream cheese or yogurt.
- In order not to slice the potatoes through, place them between two chopsticks. The chopsticks prevents you from slicing till the bottom.
- Frequent brushing with the butter mixture helps to make the outer part more crispy.
Pin For Later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962
Camilla M Mann
April 11, 2021 at 4:36 pm
That looks positively delicious. And now I’m craving them for breakfast. Haha. Thanks for sharing your recipe. I’ll be trying them soon.
April 20, 2021 at 11:19 am
Thank you Camilla, wow what a good idea to enjoy them for breakfast, topped with scrambled eggs, or cheese.
April 11, 2021 at 7:14 pm
Oh my…..I could make a meal of those potatoes. YUM
April 13, 2021 at 7:17 pm
Thanks Wendy, for us it turned out to be a meal with some salad.
Rebekah R Hills
April 11, 2021 at 7:52 pm
I’ve never heard pillbug potatoes before, but I think that name needs to be used more often!! Whatever you call them, these sound absolutely delicious!
April 20, 2021 at 11:18 am
Thanks Rebebak, not that I’d like to use it that often as it reminds me of a caterpillar:)
Amy’s Cooking Adventures
April 12, 2021 at 1:36 am
Yes! These look amazing!
April 13, 2021 at 7:15 pm
Thank you so much Amy.
April 12, 2021 at 3:27 am
Hasselback potatoes are the best. Those slices are such a great way to add flavor!
April 13, 2021 at 7:15 pm
Thanks Stacy and they sure are. Now want to try them with some Indian flavours.
April 12, 2021 at 7:50 am
I see that this is so golden and inviting !! not to mention we can indulge in this as a whole meal by itself.. perfect recipe for a potluck !
April 13, 2021 at 7:14 pm
Thank you so much Kalyani. The potatoes we get here in Kenya are really good for baking, hence the golden colour.
April 12, 2021 at 7:40 pm
This is such a lovely way to enjoy potatoes. Would love to try this hasselback potatoes sometime. My potato fan family will enjoy it.
April 13, 2021 at 7:12 pm
Thank you so much Jayashree, it is definitely a delicious dish. You can add your own flavors to it.
April 15, 2021 at 8:38 am
Garlic Parmesan Hasselback potatoes look absolutely tempting and delicious. Thanks for the detailed tips and tricks it helps, especially with this kind of side dish or appetizers,
April 20, 2021 at 11:15 am
Thank you so much Renu, you get lovely potatoes there so am sure it will turn out really good.
April 16, 2021 at 10:42 am
Wow! This looks very premium to me. I am gonna try this today. Thanks for sharing these delicious recipes.
April 16, 2021 at 2:46 pm
Thank you so much. Please share how the hasselback potatoes turned out for you.
April 22, 2021 at 11:15 am
How beautiful post and I thought I am the one who is left out to try these baked hasselback potatoes. The beautiful flavours of garlic and parmesan cheese must have taken these simple potatotoes to a notch higher.
Trying them soon.
April 23, 2021 at 2:50 am
Thank you so much Lata. They taste really good, try them.
April 23, 2021 at 10:38 am
Garlic parmesan hasselback potatoes, looks totally tempting mayuriji! That butter mixed with all that seasonings, oh my gorgeous! Great appetizer and snack anytime!
April 23, 2021 at 3:43 pm
Thank you so much Priya, and I agree with you, butter and potatoes,, so yum.
April 24, 2021 at 9:46 am
Hassle back potatoes with garlic and parmesan look so beautiful ! This dish has been on my to do list for a long time. Now that I have your recipe, would definitely give it a try.
April 24, 2021 at 10:15 pm
Thank you so much Poonam, please do try it, am sure your family will enjoy it.
Jagruti’s Cooking Odyssey
April 24, 2021 at 11:05 am
Garlic parmesan Hasselback potatoes sound and look so delicious! A perfect weekend treat for a family, so easy and tasty recipe.
April 24, 2021 at 10:14 pm
Thank you so much Hayley. I agree, It makes a good weekend treat.
April 24, 2021 at 11:53 am
Hasselback potatoes with garlic and parmesan sound and looks so so tempting. I love garlic flavors with potatoes and find that garlic combined with potatoes takes the tastes to another level. Wonderful share.
April 24, 2021 at 10:12 pm
Garlic definitely adds so much flavour to potatoes. Thank you so much Sapana.
April 28, 2021 at 12:19 pm
April 28, 2021 at 9:40 pm
thank you so much.
April 28, 2021 at 5:19 pm
I made hasselback potatoes a while ago and we loved it. I was looking for different ways to spice it up and your garlic parmesan version is juts perfect for our family. My boys love garlic and I am excited for this recipe.
April 28, 2021 at 9:36 pm
Thank you so much Sandhya. I recently made them again and served with a spicy tomato sauce. That too is an option.
August 6, 2022 at 10:37 pm
I love these a lot. So well prepared and presented. I also make them but in a simple way. Your version looks better. I will make again following this recipe.
August 9, 2022 at 9:29 pm
Thank you so much Shobha, enjoy when you try out this version.
Seema Doraiswamy Sriram
August 7, 2022 at 2:08 am
These are the best hassleback potatoes I have tried. ooff !!that flavour , comfort of the potatoes literally couldn’t stop at one!!
August 9, 2022 at 9:27 pm
Thanks Seema and am do glad you enjoyed them.
August 8, 2022 at 5:59 am
Oh my goodness me! I am in love! Honestly speaking I do not enjoy potatoes much. But now looking at your beautiful garlic parmesan Hasselback potatoes I am willing to eat my words. These potatoes will make my words taste better! Please parcel some!
I have landed myself under strict orders not to look at potatoes and you are tempting me to gorge on them.
My reward after I get off my medication will be these Hasselback Potatoes. 😀 Absolutely yum it will tatse.
August 9, 2022 at 9:23 pm
Thank you so much Archana. Hope you’ll be able to enjoy these hasselback potatoes soon. They are simply too delicious.
August 9, 2022 at 2:27 pm
Garlic Parmesan Hassel back potatoes are on my to-do list. These potatoes look so flavorful and inviting. It is nice to get a snippet of how the name was coined. Though I have eaten it a couple of times but never from my kitchen. Nice post!
August 9, 2022 at 9:31 pm
Thank you so much Neha. Please do try out the recipe in your kitchen, am sure you’ll love it with home flavours.
August 11, 2022 at 10:13 am
Delicious looking potatoes. Loved the amalgamation of the delectable dressing using butter and garlic and the perfectly roasted potatoes.
August 11, 2022 at 1:20 pm