Roasted Potato and Avocado Salad
EVENT: FOODIES_ REDOING OLD POSTS #27
Updated on 12/06/2020
For this event, Foodies_Redoing Old Posts my 27th re done recipe is my kind of salad – Roasted Potato and Avocado Salad.
What is the group Foodies _Redoing Old Posts all about?
Before we get into how to make this filling and tasty salad, let me explain a bit about this group. Updating posts with better photos or better write up or both is what the group Foodies_Redoing Old Posts started by Renu allows us to do. The advantage of rewriting the post in a better manner makes it more SEO friendly and good photos is what attracts your fans to check out the recipe. This group allows me to stay focused on updating old posts as my previous photos are really bad. I’ve not taken a photography course (but would love to when I get the chance) nor have I taken any food presentation classes. But learning and trying to improve which each post.
We Love Our Potatoes
Is there any family that doesn’t like potatoes? My family loves them in any form right from mashed potatoes, fries to potato flatbreads and curries. Therefore, not surprising when they all want me to make roasted potatoes ever so often. Whenever baby potatoes are available, I’d make roasted potatoes to go with pizza or a pasta dish. If the potatoes come with a nice clean thin skin, I like to roast them with the skin.
Did you know that potatoes skins are healthy?
If I want to use potatoes with the skin I soak the potatoes in water for 15-20 minutes to loosen up any soil stuck to it. And don’t laugh about using a brush to scrub them..I have a brush in my kitchen that is used to scrub certain fruits and veggies. Squeaky clean potatoes are ready to be boiled, baked or roasted with the skin. Remember to cut off any blemishes too. The skin is not only a rich source of dietary fibre but is also a rich source of potassium, iron and niacin.
Here are some simple potato dishes:
Spicy Aloo Chaat the way Preethi makes it
Renu’s Greek Style Lemon Roasted Potatoes
Now I realize that pizza or pasta with roasted potatoes was a pretty heavy carb meal. Oh well, nowadays I make roasted potatoes to enjoy as a snack or with a nice hearty green salad.
How did I decide to combine Avocado and Roasted Potatoes
Well as I mentioned above baby potatoes meant roasted potatoes for me and usually couldn’t think beyond that. I had an avocado that was ripe and ready to be used. One more day and it would have gone all mushy. As a result decided to put both together to create a filling, delicious and healthy salad.
Roasted Potato and Avocado Salad
I have roasted the potatoes in a pan, but you can roast them in the oven or over the BBQ. Ideal salad to serve during a BBQ party. If you roast the potatoes in the oven then heat the olive oil in a pan over low heat and stir fry the chopped garlic and mint. Add the roasted potatoes and stir well. Over time I’ve made this salad often and enjoyed as a meal on its own. This salad does not require any dressing.
Ingredients required for Roasted Potato and Avocado Salad:
- Baby Potatoes – if you don’t find baby potatoes use normal potatoes, just cut them into bite size chunks
- Avocado – one medium one, or two small ones
- Pine Nuts – lightly roasted
- Dried Cranberries – if you don’t have cranberries add pomegranate arils for that little sourness
- Lemon Juice
- Sea Salt – or any salt of your choice
- Pepper – coarsely ground
- Mustard Powder – if you don’t have mustard powder use mustard paste
- Olive Oil – for that delicious taste
- Garlic – 1-2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- Fresh Mint – chopped finely. If you don’t have mint then use any other fresh herb of your choice.
- Spring onion – or chives chopped
- Sesame Seeds – lightly roasted in a pan
- Its Gluten Free
- Vegan Friendly
- For Satvik friendly salad, omit garlic.
ROASTED POTATO AND AVOCADO SALAD
- 12 baby potatoes
- 1 medium avocado
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp coarse pepper powder
- ½ tsp mustard powder or mustard paste
- 1 tsp garlic finely chopped
- 12-14 mint leaves finely chopped
- 2 tbsp pine nuts roasted
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp dried cranberries
- 1 tsp sesame seeds roasted
- 2 tbsp spring onion chopped
- Wash and boil baby potatoes in salted water( add 1 tsp salt), till done.
- Let the potatoes cool down.
- Cut them into halves.
- Heat olive oil in a wide pan or griddle pan over medium heat.
- Add potatoes and roast them for 5-7 minutes or till they turn light golden brown.
- Add finely chopped garlic and stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the finely chopped mint and salt, mix well and take the pan off the heat.
- Let the potatoes cool down a bit.
- In the meantime, peel and cut the avocado into chunks. Add it to the roasted potatoes.
- Add roasted pine nuts, cranberries, lemon juice, sesame seeds, mustard and pepper powder. Mix well and serve.
- Adjust amount of lemon juice, pepper and salt according to your taste.
- Use nuts of your choice.
- Add seeds of your choice.
- If you don't get roasted potatoes then use normal potatoes, after boiling them cut into bite size cubes and roast.
Pin for Later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email email@example.com
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962