Potato Salad With Dill
Recipe: Potato Salad With Dill
Mention Potato Salad to my hubby and only one type comes to his mind, the creamy potato salad with dill. Whenever I buy baby potatoes to try out a new dish, he will insist that I make his potato salad. The first time I made it for a dinner party, I used fresh cream. Though it tasted really good, by the time we served it, it had become like a big clumpy thick mass. Next time I made it, I added thick plain yogurt. That worked well. Slowly the cream got replaced totally by thick yogurt. Do we miss the fresh cream in it? Not at all.
Fresh or Dried Dill
While most herbs can be interchangeable for a dish, sorry in this case not at all. I once made it with dried dill and the taste was not the same. One needs the fresh strong flavour and crunch of fresh dill. And when the dill is absolutely fresh and tender, adding a bit of the chopped stem adds more flavour. So while you can replace the nuts, the seeds you cannot replace the dill.
Do I have to use only Baby Potatoes?
Not at all, use any kind of potatoes you want. Just cut the boiled potatoes into chunks. Generally I use baby potatoes as they are easily available.
What is Dill?
Dill is an herb that belongs to the same family as celery. The feathery green leaves and stems are used. Fresh dill has a strong licorice and anise like flavour. The seeds too are used for cooking. Not many like to use dill in their cooking because of the strong flavor. However, I’m a big fan of dill. Also known as Suva, savaa, dill weed, its widely used in India for cooking. It pairs well with yogurt, making it a popular herb to use in the Middle Eastern yogurt based salads.
How to Use Dill
- I love making Savaa Ni Bhaji – dill and lentil mixed together makes a delicious shaak or sabji. Best enjoyed with hot roti or phukla.
- Sweet Potato Rolls with Dill
- Add chopped dill to your khichdi preparation.
- Chop some cucumber, add chopped dill and it makes a delightful refreshing salad.
- Have you tried Quinoa with lemon and dill in it? It tastes really good.
- I’ve had pasta with light lemony creamy dill sauce in a restaurant and it tasted awesome.
Some More Potato Salads
POTATO SALAD WITH DILL
- 500 g baby potatoes
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 cup plain thick yogurt
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 1 tbsp roasted sesame seeds
- 8 to 10 roasted walnuts chopped
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 green chilli sliced
- ¼ cup fresh cream optional
- Wash and put the potatoes in a pan. Cover it with enough water. Add 1 tsp of salt and boil the potatoes till they are done.
- Drain out the water and let the potatoes cool down completely.
- Peel them if you like. If some of them are big cut into half. You want bite size potatoes.
- Mix remaining salt, honey, dill and green chilli with the thick yogurt. Also add the cream if you are using any.
- Pour the yogurt over the potatoes. Mix it well and keep in the fridge for 30 minutes till it gets chilled.
- Add sesame seeds and walnuts just before serving.
- Use normal potatoes if you don’t get baby potatoes. Peel and cube them when they are cold.
- Add ¼ tsp garlic paste if you like.
- Mix in a few chopped seedless grapes or pomegranate seeds
Pin for Later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email email@example.com
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962