Potato Salad With Dill
Recipe: Potato Salad With Dill
Mention Potato Salad to my hubby and only one type comes to his mind, the creamy potato salad with dill. Whenever I buy baby potatoes to try out a new dish, he will insist that I make his potato salad. The first time I made it for a dinner party, I used fresh cream. Though it tasted really good, by the time we served it, it had become like a big clumpy thick mass. Next time I made it, I added thick plain yogurt. That worked well. Slowly the cream got replaced totally by thick yogurt. Do we miss the fresh cream in it? Not at all.
Fresh or Dried Dill
While most herbs can be interchangeable for a dish, sorry in this case not at all. I once made it with dried dill and the taste was not the same. One needs the fresh strong flavour and crunch of fresh dill. And when the dill is absolutely fresh and tender, adding a bit of the chopped stem adds more flavour. So while you can replace the nuts, the seeds you cannot replace the dill.
Do I have to use only Baby Potatoes?
Not at all, use any kind of potatoes you want. Just cut the boiled potatoes into chunks. Generally I use baby potatoes as they are easily available.
What is Dill?
Dill is an herb that belongs to the same family as celery. The feathery green leaves and stems are used. Fresh dill has a strong licorice and anise like flavour. The seeds too are used for cooking. Not many like to use dill in their cooking because of the strong flavor. However, I’m a big fan of dill. Also known as Suva, savaa, dill weed, its widely used in India for cooking. It pairs well with yogurt, making it a popular herb to use in the Middle Eastern yogurt based salads.
How to Use Dill
- I love making Savaa Ni Bhaji – dill and lentil mixed together makes a delicious shaak or sabji. Best enjoyed with hot roti or phukla.
- Sweet Potato Rolls with Dill
- Add chopped dill to your khichdi preparation.
- Chop some cucumber, add chopped dill and it makes a delightful refreshing salad.
- Have you tried Quinoa with lemon and dill in it? It tastes really good.
- I’ve had pasta with light lemony creamy dill sauce in a restaurant and it tasted awesome.
Some More Potato Salads
POTATO SALAD WITH DILL
- 500 g baby potatoes
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 cup plain thick yogurt
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 1 tbsp roasted sesame seeds
- 8 to 10 roasted walnuts chopped
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 green chilli sliced
- ¼ cup fresh cream optional
- Wash and put the potatoes in a pan. Cover it with enough water. Add 1 tsp of salt and boil the potatoes till they are done.
- Drain out the water and let the potatoes cool down completely.
- Peel them if you like. If some of them are big cut into half. You want bite size potatoes.
- Mix remaining salt, honey, dill and green chilli with the thick yogurt. Also add the cream if you are using any.
- Pour the yogurt over the potatoes. Mix it well and keep in the fridge for 30 minutes till it gets chilled.
- Add sesame seeds and walnuts just before serving.
- Use normal potatoes if you don’t get baby potatoes. Peel and cube them when they are cold.
- Add ¼ tsp garlic paste if you like.
- Mix in a few chopped seedless grapes or pomegranate seeds
Pin for Later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962
June 24, 2020 at 8:22 pm
this looks so nice, creamy potato salad. For a potato lover this is such a drooling share ! Use of thick yogurt and fresh cream is a lovely alternative for mayo
June 25, 2020 at 10:21 pm
Thank you so much Sasmita…since I’m not a big fan of mayo I like to use thick yogurt and cream.
November 29, 2020 at 6:06 am
This potato salad is so creamy and delicious. I would like to have this yummy salad anytime. I use fresh dil leaves in dips . It is absolutely lip smacking.
November 29, 2020 at 3:45 pm
Thanks Preethi, do try the recipe.
November 29, 2020 at 7:37 am
This is a lovely potato salad recipe. The flavour of fresh dill leaves must be giving this salad a lovely flavour. My hubby will love it. I usually make a warm grilled potato salad.
November 29, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Thank you so much Shobha, do try it out.
November 30, 2020 at 1:29 pm
Such a lovely salad with the freshness of dill leaves. Looks delicious and ideal for potato lovers.
November 30, 2020 at 4:21 pm
Thank you so much Jayashree.
November 30, 2020 at 10:55 pm
its perfect that you have used curd instead of empty calorie loaded mayo. Love the small potatoes in this dish, its my go to dish for summer bbq.
December 1, 2020 at 9:30 pm
Thank you so much Linsy, I’m not a big fan of mayo.
December 1, 2020 at 7:03 am
Dill is something I dnt like but the potatoe salad with yogurt dressing looks yummy. I somehow prefer yogurt to mayonnaise. This salad is deftly on my to do list
December 1, 2020 at 9:29 pm
Thank you so much Priya, and I love the flavour of dill. In fact whenever I’m in India, and when dill is available, I buy it practically every day!
December 2, 2020 at 12:28 pm
love the flvaour of dill esp in chilled salads.. am imagining this with some warm roasted potatoes on a hot summer day.. bliss !
December 2, 2020 at 8:30 pm
Thanks Kalyani have also added chopped dill to roasted potatoes and it does taste good.
December 3, 2020 at 8:42 pm
I’m actually not a fan of dill. I may use a pinch but when most recipes call for dill, I replace with parsley. This delicious potato salad tastes just as good with parsley 🙂
December 5, 2020 at 2:03 pm
Thanks Mireille, I don’t get dill throughout the year where I am so do replace it with fresh flat parsley and coriander too.
December 6, 2020 at 6:45 pm
I am not a fan of dill but will love to try this salad. It is something that I will add coriander leaves to enjoy. In fact will amke it tomorrow
December 13, 2020 at 5:30 pm
Thanks Archana, dill does add a unique taste to the salad.