Pasta with Spinach Sauce
EVENT: FOODIES_ REDOING OLD POSTS #30
Updated on 24/07/2020
I have so many old posts that need a new look. How many times I must have prepared this easy pasta with spinach sauce but did not remember to take better clicks. Eventually, when I made it day before yesterday, remembered to take better photos. The recipe remains the same. By joining the group The Foodies_Redoing Old Posts, I get the opportunity to redo old recipes.
Besides vaghareli rotli, my brother loves pasta. Ask him any time whether he will have pasta and he will not refuse. If made with cream, white sauce and loaded with cheese, all the more better. While I was visiting the family in UK, my brother asked me to make white sauce pasta. My sister in law complained that he never wants to try any other sauces. That’s when I decided to make spinach sauce to go with the pasta. And must say he loved it.
What type of pasta can you use?
Any, really. Just use what you have in your pantry. I sometimes use shell ones, sometimes penne, sometimes the spiral ones. This time I used the flat fettuccine as I had some in the pantry. For 4 servings about 8oz (approx 226g) of pasta is required.
Want to try out different types of pasta or pasta sauces?
Make pasta time exciting by preparing it in different ways or with different sauces.
- Try Pasta with Coriander Mint and Cashew Nut Pesto
- I love Pasta with Parsley Walnut Pesto
- Sweet Potato and Pasta Salad is a filling and healthy light meal
- Pasta with Butternut Squash Sauce is such a warm and filling dish
- My all time favorite is Pasta with Mushroom Sauce
- Whenever I have extra red bell pepper I use them up to make Pasta with Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper Sauce
- Chilli Garlic Pasta
- Baked Pasta
- A collection of Different Pasta Sauce
Can you add other ingredients to the pasta besides the spinach sauce?
Most certainly you can. Being a vegetarian I sometimes like to have my pasta without much vegetables and sometimes its loaded with veggies. It all depends. Add chicken, meat, mushrooms, etc whatever you fancy. My sister in law follows the same recipe but sometimes adds chicken pieces, bacon or sausages.
Ingredients required for Pasta with Spinach Sauce:
- Pasta – any of your choice. Just remember a serving is about 2-3oz of dry pasta.
- Spinach – use fresh or frozen
- Garlic – depending on how you like it use about 4-6 cloves of garlic
- Salt – need for both when you boil the pasta and for the sauce
- Pepper Powder – I prefer coarse black pepper powder
- Dry Chilli Flakes – optional
- Fresh Cream – optional
- Herbs – I used dried oregano but you can use any dried or fresh herbs of your choice
- Olive oil – or any oil of your choice. Can also use butter
- Flour – I use wheat flour but you may use plain flour/ all purpose flour.
- Milk – dairy or any milk of your choice
- Water – for boiling the pasta
- Grated Cheese – of your choice. I serve it with parmesan, cheddar, feta.
- suitable for vegetarian
- Want a vegan version? Then simply use vegan friendly milk and cheese. Omit cream
- For satvik version, omit garlic and use green chilli or ginger
PASTA WITH SPINACH SAUCE
- 250 g pasta
- enough water to boil the pasta
- 4 cups roughly chopped spinach
- 4-6 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp wheat flour
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp dreid mixed herbs
- ½ tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 -1½ cups milk
- ¼ cup fresh cream optional
- some grated cheese to serve
- Boil The Pasta:
- Heat enough water in a big saucepan over medium to high heat.
- When the water begins to boil add 1 tsp salt and the pasta.
- Cook the pasta according to the instruction on the packet or till its 'al dente'. Al dente means that the pasta is not over cooked and has a bite. Best way check is to actually taste the pasta.
- When the pasta is ready, drain it out into a colander.
Preparation of The Spinach Sauce:
- Heat oil in a wide saucepan over medium heat.
- When the oil is a bit hot add the chopped garlic and stir fry it for a few seconds.
- Add the flour and herbs. Stir fry for about 30 seconds.
- Add the spinach. Mix and allow it to wilt.
- Add milk and allow the sauce to become hot. You don't want to overcook the spinach.
- Take the pan off the heat.
- Let the sauce cool down a bit before you put it in the blender jug.
- Process. I prefer to see bits of spinach so I don't process it completely.
- Return the sauce back into the pan.
- Add the remaining salt, pepper powder and cream.
- Heat the sauce till it becomes hot but not boiling.
- Add the pasta. Mix well.
- Sprinkle some cheese and chilli flakes over the pasta and serve.
- I served the pasta with some grated parmesan cheese. You can serve with any cheese of your choice.
- Use fresh or dried herbs of your choice.
- Add steamed or boiled vegetables, chicken, meat, etc of your choice if you like.
Pin for later: