262. chilli garlic pasta
a quick meal
However much I love cooking, there are some days when my mind just goes blank or I don’t feel like entering the kitchen or I want to make something quick and just get out of the kitchen. Eating out is an option and we are lucky to have a nice dhosa place and an egg chappati place very near to our home or we can just order a pizza. What if you don’t feel like getting dressed up and going out? I occasionally feel like that and somehow my hubby dear too feels the same on that exact day. Well, the alternative is to have just fruits, cereal, bread and tea or go to bed with an empty stomach. Sunday evening was one such day…. didn’t want to do any of the above but we both were hungry. No bread in the house, only bananas for fruit and empty stomach was growling. So we both decided to enter the kitchen to make our favourite quick pasta dish. Yes, go ahead and laugh, if it is a quick pasta dish why would two people be required to make it? Well the whole idea was to share the work, and get out of the hot kitchen as soon as possible. Yes it is unbearably hot in Mombasa.
I use to make this pasta dish very often to take to school when I was teaching because it does not taste bad even when it is cold. Stir frying the green chillis and garlic infuses the oil with both the flavours and makes the pasta yummy.
CHILLI GARLIC PASTA
2 cups pasta (any type)
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp oil
3 to 4 green chillis
6 to 8 cloves of garlic
3 tbsp olive oil
12 to 14 green or black olives or both
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp coarse pepper powder
- Boil about 6 cups of water in a deep saucepan.When it begins to boil add the pasta, salt and 1 tbsp oil.
- Cook the pasta till just done (al dente). Usually the cooking time is indicated on the packet. Don’t forget to stir it occasionally otherwise the pasta may stick to the bottom.
- While the pasta is cooking, chop the chillis into rings. Slice the garlic and cut the olives into rings.
- When the pasta is done, drain it out into a colander. Run cold water over it.
- Take a wide pan and heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- When it is slightly hot, add the chillis and garlic. Stir fry till the garlic begins to turn light pink.
- Add the pasta, olives, pepper and salt. Mix well and let it become a bit hot. Make sure you keep on mixing it to avoid the pasta from getting burnt.
- Serve immediately.
- If you love chillis, add more.
- Add sweet corn if you like.
- Use any type of olives you find in the market.
- If you are packing it for lunch, add a bit more oil so that the pasta does not taste dry.
|five in one pasta sauce
May 6, 2013 at 7:49 am
So nice recipe. Its make me crazy. Thanks for sharing this recipe.