364.pasta with roasted tomato and red pepper sauce
any time is pasta time
I love pasta in any form…. baked, with sauce, without sauce, in a soup, indian style, any shape or size. I had been waiting for an opportunity to make pasta sauce with red pepper and tomatoes. I didn’t want to make it for myself as I would still have to make another sauce for hubby dear. He is allergic to chickpeas but he thinks he is allergic to peppers. Yes any type of pepper..green, red, yellow, orange. I think he doesn’t like them. The right time to make this sauce came when I was in Bangalore and my daughter Nami requested some sort of pasta for dinner. So off I went to buy some red pepper and tomatoes. I got the biggest red pepper I could find and my things are expensive in India. Never have paid so much for pepper previously in India. I roasted the pepper and tomatoes in the oven to bring out the full flavour of the pepper. The sauce turned out absolutely delicious and the colour of the sauce was just out of this world. However, my photography skills are not so great, but hope you will try out this recipe. Great recipe for kids.
PASTA WITH ROASTED TOMATO AND RED PEPPER SAUCE
For the pasta:
2 – 2½ cups pasta (any shape)
4 to 5 cups water
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp oil
For the sauce:
8-10 big tomatoes
1 big red bell pepper
1 medium onion
8 – 10 cloves of garlic, peeled
½ cup fresh cream
1 tsp coarse pepper powder
1 tsp red chilli flakes
½ tsp sugar
½ cup fresh basil leaves or fresh oregano
2-3 tbsp olive oil
1-1½ tsp salt
grated cheese of your choice for sprinkling on top
Preparation of the sauce:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Cut the tomatoes into chunks and place them on a roasting tray.
- Cut the stem off the pepper, remove the pith and seeds. Cut into chunks and add to the tomatoes.
- Peel and cut the onion into chunks and add to the tray.
- Add the peeled garlic and basil leaves or oregano.
- Drizzle olive oil over it and mix the vegetables.
- Roast them in the oven for 30 minutes. In between mix the veggies at least once.
- Remove the tray from the oven.
- Let the vegetables cool for a bit.
- Process them in a liquidizer or food processor.
- Put the sauce in a saucepan. Add salt, pepper, cream, sugar and red chilli flakes.
- Heat the sauce gently over medium heat when required.
- Put the water in boil in a large saucepan over high heat.
- When the water begins to boil add salt, oil and pasta.
- Let the pasta boil for 8 to 10 minutes or as instructed on the packet. Stir the pasta frequently to avoid it from sticking to the bottom.
- Drain out the pasta in a colander.
- Place the pasta in a serving bowl.
- Add the hot sauce and serve with your favourite cheese.
- Add dry herbs if you don’t get fresh ones.
- Choose nice ripe, red tomatoes for the sauce.
- If you find the sauce is too thick, add a little bit of water. However, you want the sauce to stick to the pasta and not run off it.
Sending this recipe for the following events: