Pasta With Mushroom Sauce
Updated: 14/12/2018 – Pasta with Mushroom Sauce
I have lived in Mombasa for the past 30 years and my hubby since childhood. When my kids were young and didn’t have afternoon school, we would spend every afternoon on the beach. Back then we lived pretty near to the beach, third row but the public pathway to the beach passed near our house. 5 minutes walk and we would be on the beach with buckets, spades, towels, goggles, flippers, milk, sandwiches… the works. It was like a ritual till they started afternoon classes. However, the weekends were still spent on the beach till they left Mombasa to go to Kodaikanal to study. My beach trips became less as by then we had moved back into town. Daily routine, jobs etc took over and my hubby and I hardly ever went to the beach. Lunching at restaurants near the beach was the normal outing on Sundays, however that’s all we did.
Cowrie Shell Apartment
Hubby kept on complaining that we were not enjoying the beautiful sandy beach and the pristine blue sea enough. About 2 years back he came across a new building coming up on the beach and decided to fulfill his dream of owning a place on the beach. What we could afford was a studio apartment. Talks between the lawyers began and after nearly 2 years we are proud owners of a studio apartment on the beach. Its our weekend getaway place when we don’t have any social commitments.
Suddenly a lazy Sunday has become a day to take long walks on the beach, dip our feet in the sea, swim in the pool and workout in the excellent gym that this complex has. I don’t want to spend the weekends at the studio cooking, so I plan a meal for Saturday dinner and make preparations at home. Sunday lunches are out and evening meals are light. Pasta, sandwiches, theplas, handvo, pies, omelette works out well. Its a simple task of boiling the pasta and heating the sauce.
Pasta with Mushroom Sauce
This weekend I decided to make pasta with mushroom sauce. Its an easy dish to make and kids love it too. I usually make it using white sauce but have occasionally made it using cream. The mushroom sauce can be prepared ahead and stays fresh in the fridge for 3-4 days. I usually like to serve the sauce on the side as people can add how much they require. Some like their pasta saucy and some with less sauce.
Some more Pasta Ideas:
- Pasta with Coriander,Mint and Cashew Nut Pesto
- Pasta with Parsley Walnut Pesto
- Sweet Potato and Pasta Salad
- Pasta with Butternut Squash
- Pasta with Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper Sauce
- Chilli Garlic Pasta
- Pasta with Spinach Sauce
- Baked Pasta
Ingredients required for Pasta with Mushroom Sauce:
- Pasta – Choose any pasta of your choice, fettuccine, spiral, shell shaped,etc.
- Mushrooms – again the type of mushrooms you use depends on what’s available. I only get button mushrooms.
- Milk – use a vegan friendly milk for a vegan version. I’ve used normal dairy milk.
- Plain flour – or all purpose flour, maida. Used to thicken the sauce. Can also use wheat flour.
- Fresh Cream – adding fresh cream is totally optional.
- Olive Oil – I prefer using olive oil for pasta but you can use any oil or butter of your choice.
- Garlic – use fresh garlic either finely chopped or minced
- Parsley – I have used fresh parsley. If you don’t get any, use dried parsley or any other herb of your choice.
- Pepper – I prefer to use slightly coarse pepper powder
- Salt – for flavoring. The type you use is your choice. Here I’ve used Himalayan Pink Salt.
- Parmesan Cheese – grated or shaved for topping
- Red Chilli Flakes – optional. I used them as I like a bit of chilliness in my food.
- For Vegan version use vegan friendly milk and cheese
- For Satvik friendly version omit garlic.
PASTA WITH MUSHROOM SAUCE
For the Pasta:
- 2-2½ cup pasta any of your choice
- water enough for boiling
- 1 tsp salt
For the Mushroom Sauce:
- 2 -2½ cups fresh mushroom about 250g
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp plain flour.all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup fresh cream optional
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- ½ tsp pepper powder coarse
- ½ - ¾ tsp salt
- 4-6 tbsp parmesan grated or shaved
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes optional
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- Boil the Pasta:
- Heat enough water in a big saucepan over medium heat.
- When the water begins boiling, add the pasta and salt.
- Boil for 10 -12 minutes or accroding to the instructions on the packet.
- Stir gently ocassionally so that the pasta does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Check to see if the pasta is done. It should be al dente...meaning not too soft or too hard. It should have a little bite to it.
- Drain out the pasta out. Put it into a serving bowl or individual serving plates.
- Drizzle one tbsp of olive oil over it. Leave it on the side till required.
Preparation of the Mushroom Sauce:
- Wash and dry the mushrooms. Process them roughly in a food processor.
- Heat 2tbsp olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Don’t let it get too hot.
- Add garlic and mushroom to the oil. Saute for a minute.
- Add the flour and keep on mixing for a few seconds.
- Add the milk and keep on stirring till the sauce thickens a bit.
- Add salt, pepper, fresh parsley and the fresh cream. Mix the sauce well and pour it into a serving bowl or over the cooked pasta.
- Either leave the sauce on the side or pour over the pasta.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese and chilli flakes and serve.
Pin for later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962
February 11, 2014 at 3:50 pm
this looks delicious.
June 7, 2020 at 1:38 am
I love mushroom sauce. Usually I make that as a topping on a toast . I must try this with pasta.
June 8, 2020 at 12:51 am
Thanks Shobha, one of the easiest pasta to make and delicious, please do try it.
June 10, 2020 at 5:51 pm
I was searching for some nice pasta recipe and landed on your page. The sauce looks nice and creamy with the perfect texture for a pasta. I am trying this as I love pasta and mushrooms.
June 10, 2020 at 10:41 pm
Thank you so much Renu, please do try it as its quite popular with my friends and relatives who love mushrooms.
June 10, 2020 at 7:25 pm
First, before I forget the pics are amazing, especially the backdrop the grey is beautiful. I am drooling over the backdrop it’s what I been trying to get.
The pasta sauce sounds yummy just the kind hubby will like. I will love to make it let he will finish it adding from pastas to chapati. Thanks will definitely make it.
June 10, 2020 at 10:40 pm
Thank you so much Archana for appreciating the pictures. As for the pasta its one of our favorite, mine as its really easy to make and for hubby because its pasta:)
June 13, 2020 at 2:18 am
Such a creamy and tempting mushroom sauce and this looks like a absolute delight to eat. Love the idea of serving the sauce separately to customize it.
June 13, 2020 at 8:16 pm
Thanks Narmadha. Its our favorite pasta.
June 15, 2020 at 4:47 pm
Pasta in mushroom sauce looks inviting mayuri ji, Love how you have described your Sunday. I m making pasta dishes often for my kids these days, i bet they would love this.
June 15, 2020 at 10:20 pm
Thank you so much Priya, hope your kids love it when you try the recipe out.
December 30, 2021 at 3:58 pm
I was reading about your children growing up in the beach. Such an incredible experience.
This mushroom sauce we made and had with herb bread. It was so yumm
December 30, 2021 at 8:42 pm
Thank you so much Seema. It is a family favourite and yes my kids had a magical childhood growing up by the beach.
January 1, 2022 at 5:35 am
It’s nice to be by the beach side, a good way to relax and rejuvenate. The pasta with mushroom looks delicious and ideal for those who love mushrooms.
January 1, 2022 at 6:28 pm
Thank you so much Jayashree, yes this pasta is a mushroom lover’s delight.