368.pasta with mushroom sauce
creamy and delicious
I have lived in Mombasa for the past 30 years and my hubby since childhood. When my kids were young and didn’t have afternoon school, we would spend every afternoon on the beach. Back then we lived pretty near to the beach, third row but the public pathway to the beach passed near our house. 5 minutes walk and we would be on the beach with buckets, spades, towels, goggles, flippers, milk, sandwiches… the works. It was like a ritual till they started afternoon classes. However, the weekends were still spent on the beach till they left Mombasa to go to Kodaikanal to study. My beach trips became less as by then we had moved back into town. Daily routine, jobs etc took over and my hubby and I hardly ever went to the beach. Lunching at restaurants near the beach was done frequently and that’s all we did. My hubby kept on complaining that we were not enjoying the beautiful sandy beach and the pristine blue sea enough. About 2 years back he came across a new building coming up on the beach and decided to fulfill his dream of owning a place on the beach. What we could afford was a studio apartment. Talks between the lawyers began and after nearly 2 years we are proud owners of a studio apartment on the beach. Its our weekend getaway place when we don’t have any social commitments. Suddenly a lazy Sunday has become a day to take long walks on the beach, dip our feet in the sea, swim in the pool and workout in the excellent gym that this complex has. I don’t want to spend the weekends at the studio cooking, so what I usually do is plan a meal for Saturday dinner and make preparations at home. Sunday lunches are out and evening meals are light. Pasta, sandwiches, theplas, handvo, pies, omelette works out well. Its a simple task of boiling the pasta and heating the sauce. This weekend I decided to make pasta with mushroom sauce. Its an easy dish to make and kids love it too.
updated : 10/02/2016
PASTA WITH MUSHROOM SAUCE
2 -2½ cups pasta, any shape
2- 2½ cups of mushrooms
1 cup milk
2 tbsp plain flour
3 tbsp olive oil
½ cup fresh cream
½ cup chopped fresh parsley
1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
1 tsp pepper powder
2 tsp salt
4 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
Preparation of the sauce:
- Wash and dry the mushrooms. Process them roughly in a food processor.
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Don’t let it get too hot.
- Add garlic and mushroom to the oil. Saute for a minute. Add the flour and keep on mixing for a few seconds.
- Add the milk and keep on stirring till the sauce thickens a bit.
- Add 1 tsp salt, pepper, fresh parsley and the fresh cream. Mix the sauce well and keep it on the side till required.
- Heat enough water in a pan to boil the pasta.
- Add the remaining salt and oil to the boiling water. Add the pasta and boil for 7 to 8 minutes or as instructed on the packet.
- Drain out the water and add the pasta to the sauce.
- Heat it up a little if necessary and serve sprinkled with parmesan cheese.
- Add fresh herbs of your choice but parsley does taste good and different.
- Use any cheese of your choice.
- You can use only fresh cream instead of milk if you like. Don’t add flour as the cream will thicken on its own.
- You can use any type of mushrooms for this recipe.
- If the sauce becomes too thick, just add a bit of milk.
|pasta with roasted vegetable sauce|
|chilli garlic pasta|
|roasted tomato and red pepper pasta|