Pasta With Mushroom Sauce
Updated: 14/12/2018 – Pasta with Mushroom Sauce
I have lived in Mombasa for the past 30 years and my hubby since childhood. When my kids were young and didn’t have afternoon school, we would spend every afternoon on the beach. Back then we lived pretty near to the beach, third row but the public pathway to the beach passed near our house. 5 minutes walk and we would be on the beach with buckets, spades, towels, goggles, flippers, milk, sandwiches… the works. It was like a ritual till they started afternoon classes. However, the weekends were still spent on the beach till they left Mombasa to go to Kodaikanal to study. My beach trips became less as by then we had moved back into town. Daily routine, jobs etc took over and my hubby and I hardly ever went to the beach. Lunching at restaurants near the beach was the normal outing on Sundays, however that’s all we did.
Cowrie Shell Apartment
Hubby kept on complaining that we were not enjoying the beautiful sandy beach and the pristine blue sea enough. About 2 years back he came across a new building coming up on the beach and decided to fulfill his dream of owning a place on the beach. What we could afford was a studio apartment. Talks between the lawyers began and after nearly 2 years we are proud owners of a studio apartment on the beach. Its our weekend getaway place when we don’t have any social commitments.
Suddenly a lazy Sunday has become a day to take long walks on the beach, dip our feet in the sea, swim in the pool and workout in the excellent gym that this complex has. I don’t want to spend the weekends at the studio cooking, so I plan a meal for Saturday dinner and make preparations at home. Sunday lunches are out and evening meals are light. Pasta, sandwiches, theplas, handvo, pies, omelette works out well. Its a simple task of boiling the pasta and heating the sauce.
Pasta with Mushroom Sauce
This weekend I decided to make pasta with mushroom sauce. Its an easy dish to make and kids love it too. I usually make it using white sauce but have occasionally made it using cream. The mushroom sauce can be prepared ahead and stays fresh in the fridge for 3-4 days. I usually like to serve the sauce on the side as people can add how much they require. Some like their pasta saucy and some with less sauce.
Some more Pasta Ideas:
- Pasta with Coriander,Mint and Cashew Nut Pesto
- Pasta with Parsley Walnut Pesto
- Sweet Potato and Pasta Salad
- Pasta with Butternut Squash
- Pasta with Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper Sauce
- Chilli Garlic Pasta
- Pasta with Spinach Sauce
- Baked Pasta
Ingredients required for Pasta with Mushroom Sauce:
- Pasta – Choose any pasta of your choice, fettuccine, spiral, shell shaped,etc.
- Mushrooms – again the type of mushrooms you use depends on what’s available. I only get button mushrooms.
- Milk – use a vegan friendly milk for a vegan version. I’ve used normal dairy milk.
- Plain flour – or all purpose flour, maida. Used to thicken the sauce. Can also use wheat flour.
- Fresh Cream – adding fresh cream is totally optional.
- Olive Oil – I prefer using olive oil for pasta but you can use any oil or butter of your choice.
- Garlic – use fresh garlic either finely chopped or minced
- Parsley – I have used fresh parsley. If you don’t get any, use dried parsley or any other herb of your choice.
- Pepper – I prefer to use slightly coarse pepper powder
- Salt – for flavoring. The type you use is your choice. Here I’ve used Himalayan Pink Salt.
- Parmesan Cheese – grated or shaved for topping
- Red Chilli Flakes – optional. I used them as I like a bit of chilliness in my food.
- For Vegan version use vegan friendly milk and cheese
- For Satvik friendly version omit garlic.
PASTA WITH MUSHROOM SAUCE
For the Pasta:
- 2-2½ cup pasta any of your choice
- water enough for boiling
- 1 tsp salt
For the Mushroom Sauce:
- 2 -2½ cups fresh mushroom about 250g
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp plain flour.all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup fresh cream optional
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- ½ tsp pepper powder coarse
- ½ - ¾ tsp salt
- 4-6 tbsp parmesan grated or shaved
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes optional
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- Boil the Pasta:
- Heat enough water in a big saucepan over medium heat.
- When the water begins boiling, add the pasta and salt.
- Boil for 10 -12 minutes or accroding to the instructions on the packet.
- Stir gently ocassionally so that the pasta does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Check to see if the pasta is done. It should be al dente...meaning not too soft or too hard. It should have a little bite to it.
- Drain out the pasta out. Put it into a serving bowl or individual serving plates.
- Drizzle one tbsp of olive oil over it. Leave it on the side till required.
Preparation of the Mushroom Sauce:
- Wash and dry the mushrooms. Process them roughly in a food processor.
- Heat 2tbsp olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Don’t let it get too hot.
- Add garlic and mushroom to the oil. Saute for a minute.
- Add the flour and keep on mixing for a few seconds.
- Add the milk and keep on stirring till the sauce thickens a bit.
- Add salt, pepper, fresh parsley and the fresh cream. Mix the sauce well and pour it into a serving bowl or over the cooked pasta.
- Either leave the sauce on the side or pour over the pasta.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese and chilli flakes and serve.
Pin for later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962