Spicy Cucumber Carrot Salad
Spicy Cucumber Carrot Salad
Spicy Cucumber Carrot Salad is a healthy, slightly spicy and refreshing salad to enjoy as a starter, a light meal or as a side dish. The Tamarind Dressing is adds different flavors to the salad.
Summer and Salad
As you probably already know, I live in a place, that does not have the four seasons. Its either hot or the rainy season in Kenya throughout the year. While Nairobi and the Upland area does have dips in temperatures, Mombasa is practically hot throughout the year. As a result, this allows us to enjoy salads as a light meal more often. Especially when it becomes extremely humid and hot, salads are all I can think of putting together. Working for longer time in the kitchen does become uncomfortable. Since, I make salads often enough to enjoy with a sandwich or as a meal, I like to try out different combinations and flavors. Such a combination is this spicy cucumber carrot salad, using tamarind and soy sauce to make a dressing. Mostly, my salad dressings are homemade as I can control the flavour and the amount of oil I use.
Some more Salad Recipes
Ingredients required for Spicy Cucumber Carrot Salad
- Cucumber – I prefer using English cucumber, use any of your choice
- Carrots – red or orange
- Onion – can use any of your choice
- Roasted Peanuts – or replace them with cashew nuts
- Fresh Coriander – cilantro, chopped
- Garlic – for the dressing
- Tamarind Sauce or Pulp – not flavored, usually available in most Indian stores. I make the pulp at home, by soaking tamarind in hot water for 30 minutes. Then I remove the seeds and fibre. After that puree the mixture to get a thick pulp. For 1 cup tamarind, about 2-3 cups of water are required. I store the pulp in the freezer and use as and when required.
- Sesame Seed Oil – or use any oil of your choice. However, sesame seed oil adds a distinct flavour.
- Honey – or use maple syrup. Don’t have either then use some brown or coconut sugar.
- Soy Sauce – dark or light
- Chilli Flakes
- Salt – use any of your choice. I usually use sea salt or Himalayan Pink Salt.
SPICY CUCUMBER AND CARROT SALAD
- 1 cup carrot sticks
- 1 cup cucumber sticks
- ½ cup bell pepper sticks
- 1 small red or white onion cut thinly lengthwise
- ½ cup chopped fresh coriander
- ¼ cup roasted peanuts roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 3 tbsp tamarind sauce thick and not watery
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp honey
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- ½ tsp salt
- Put all the vegetables in a bowl.
- Mix the dressing ingredients well.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and serve.
- Tamarind sauce is available in most indian shops. If not, then you can make it at home. Put the tamarind in a pan, cover it with water and let it boil gently till it becomes soft. Let it cool for a while. Remove the stones and fibrous bits. Put it in a blender and liquidize it. Add a bit more water if necessary. Sieve the mixture. Keeps well in the freezer.
- Use sesame oil sparingly as it has a strong flavour.
- Adjust the amount of chilli flakes according to your taste.
- Can prepare the salad ahead and leave it in the fridge. Just add the dressing before serving.
- Can use spring onion if you don't get coriander leaves.
- Add salad leaves if you wish.
Pin for later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email email@example.com
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962
January 14, 2012 at 6:37 am
Nicely laid blog…well done.
I luv this salad recipe….:) please add more.
November 26, 2015 at 2:45 pm
Healthy salad.. Love to have a plateful specially in summer.
November 27, 2015 at 11:44 am
What a delicious way to get your veggies in! We eat about 10 portions a day 🙂
November 27, 2015 at 3:40 pm
I love salads and am always looking for new variations.This looks delicious.
February 1, 2021 at 11:02 am
Yum, yum and yum! I love this spicy cucumber and carrot salad with tamarind sauce. I am tempted to fish out my tamarind chutney and make some immediately. What a delicious flavor this salad will have especially when you add honey and sesame oil!! Making it today evening.
February 1, 2021 at 11:43 am
Thank you so much Archana, its a change in flavour from the usual dressings.. takes care of the chatpata craving.
February 1, 2021 at 1:20 pm
Soon summer will be here in India and this refreshing salad is a perfect meal for the season. Addition of peanuts definitely gives a crunch. Also love the use of tamarind pulp.
February 1, 2021 at 2:32 pm
Thank you so much Amrita. Try the salad when summer begins.
February 2, 2021 at 5:17 pm
Wow wow wow ..this addition of peanut ,tamarind+ sesame oil dressing ala thai style is so so so exciting !!
February 2, 2021 at 8:06 pm
Super duper kitchen
February 2, 2021 at 6:55 pm
The salad looks refreshing, colourful and wholesome. I loved the dressing used here. The tanginess from the tamarind adds a nice flavour along with garlic, chilli flakes and other ingredients.
February 3, 2021 at 1:23 am
This spicy cucumber and carrot salad looks so refreshing and Delish. I loved the way you have added tamarind dressing. Would love to try this sometime.Simple salad with delicious dressing is a game changer.
February 3, 2021 at 10:36 am
Thank you so much Preethi, definitely a salad dressing is a game changer, gives new taste and life to basic salad ingredients.
February 3, 2021 at 6:49 am
I love the sweet and tangy flavor that comes with tamarind. kind of cucumber carrot Chaat salad with crunchy peanuts and nutty sesame oil. Delectable idea of adding tamarind to salad dressing..
February 3, 2021 at 10:35 am
Thank you Swati, you’ve described it right..like a chaat salad.
February 3, 2021 at 1:49 pm
I love making salads and this has all the flavours, sweet and spicy. Yummy salad to relish the mid-day cravings.
February 3, 2021 at 10:04 pm
Thanks Jayashree, it sure takes makes enjoying salads more fun.
February 6, 2022 at 11:47 pm
OMG! This looks absolutely stunning! And those flavors sound wonderful!
February 7, 2022 at 10:00 pm
Thank you so much Rinku. The flavours are delicious, do try out the recipe.
February 7, 2022 at 1:55 pm
This seems a fresh interesting salad with the taste of tamarind. I would like to try out the tamarind dressing. Salads are so welcoming in the summers specially , always wanting more varieties. Thanks for this salad recipe post.
February 7, 2022 at 9:56 pm
Thank you so much Neha. Try out the tamarind dressing, am sure you’ll love it. I sometimes use it for my potato salad too.
February 8, 2022 at 7:21 am
The salad looks delicious. I love the dressing you have created by using tamarind and honey to create a perfect balance of sweet and sour flavours. I would love salad in my sandwiches.
February 8, 2022 at 10:12 pm
Thank you so much Mina. That is a lovely idea, to add this salad to a sandwich.
February 8, 2022 at 1:39 pm
Wow thats one refreshing salad mayuri ji! Love that wonderful dressing! never tried a dressing with tamarind, must add a wonderful tanginess to the salad!
February 8, 2022 at 10:10 pm
Thank you Priya, it does add a delicious tang. Try it.
February 11, 2022 at 7:55 am
My favorite salad . I love my salads with cucumber and carrots …I am in awe of the dressing that your have used with tamarind.
February 12, 2022 at 1:50 pm
Thanks Priya, tamarind adds a subtle sweetish tang to the overall salad dish.