Spicy Cucumber Carrot Salad
Spicy Cucumber Carrot Salad
Spicy Cucumber Carrot Salad is a healthy, slightly spicy and refreshing salad to enjoy as a starter, a light meal or as a side dish. The Tamarind Dressing is adds different flavors to the salad.
Summer and Salad
As you probably already know, I live in a place, that does not have the four seasons. Its either hot or the rainy season in Kenya throughout the year. While Nairobi and the Upland area does have dips in temperatures, Mombasa is practically hot throughout the year. As a result, this allows us to enjoy salads as a light meal more often. Especially when it becomes extremely humid and hot, salads are all I can think of putting together. Working for longer time in the kitchen does become uncomfortable. Since, I make salads often enough to enjoy with a sandwich or as a meal, I like to try out different combinations and flavors. Such a combination is this spicy cucumber carrot salad, using tamarind and soy sauce to make a dressing. Mostly, my salad dressings are homemade as I can control the flavour and the amount of oil I use.
Some more Salad Recipes
Ingredients required for Spicy Cucumber Carrot Salad
- Cucumber – I prefer using English cucumber, use any of your choice
- Carrots – red or orange
- Onion – can use any of your choice
- Roasted Peanuts – or replace them with cashew nuts
- Fresh Coriander – cilantro, chopped
- Garlic – for the dressing
- Tamarind Sauce or Pulp – not flavored, usually available in most Indian stores. I make the pulp at home, by soaking tamarind in hot water for 30 minutes. Then I remove the seeds and fibre. After that puree the mixture to get a thick pulp. For 1 cup tamarind, about 2-3 cups of water are required. I store the pulp in the freezer and use as and when required.
- Sesame Seed Oil – or use any oil of your choice. However, sesame seed oil adds a distinct flavour.
- Honey – or use maple syrup. Don’t have either then use some brown or coconut sugar.
- Soy Sauce – dark or light
- Chilli Flakes
- Salt – use any of your choice. I usually use sea salt or Himalayan Pink Salt.
SPICY CUCUMBER AND CARROT SALAD
- 1 cup carrot sticks
- 1 cup cucumber sticks
- ½ cup bell pepper sticks
- 1 small red or white onion cut thinly lengthwise
- ½ cup chopped fresh coriander
- ¼ cup roasted peanuts roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 3 tbsp tamarind sauce thick and not watery
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp honey
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- ½ tsp salt
- Put all the vegetables in a bowl.
- Mix the dressing ingredients well.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and serve.
- Tamarind sauce is available in most indian shops. If not, then you can make it at home. Put the tamarind in a pan, cover it with water and let it boil gently till it becomes soft. Let it cool for a while. Remove the stones and fibrous bits. Put it in a blender and liquidize it. Add a bit more water if necessary. Sieve the mixture. Keeps well in the freezer.
- Use sesame oil sparingly as it has a strong flavour.
- Adjust the amount of chilli flakes according to your taste.
- Can prepare the salad ahead and leave it in the fridge. Just add the dressing before serving.
- Can use spring onion if you don't get coriander leaves.
- Add salad leaves if you wish.
Pin for later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962