658. Shorbat Adas (Middle Eastern Lentil Soup)
A Healthy Ramadan
The holy month of Ramadan is observed by Muslims all over the world.It is the ninth month of the Islamic Lunar calendar.Its the month when the Holy Quran was revealed to the Prophet Muhammed. During this month the Muslims fast for the whole month from sunrise to sunset. The holy month of Ramadan is much more about purifying the soul, focusing attention on God and about self discipline and sacrifice rather than focusing on food and drink.
After sunset the fast is broken by taking a few sips of water and a few dates during Iftar or the evening meal. Suhoor is the meal served before sunrise. This meal is usually hearty and healthy meal to provide one with energy.
Keeping in mind my intention of preparing healthy recipes (well, at least trying to) I decided not to make a rich fried snack but a healthy, replenishing, hydrating soup. Shorbat Adas is a Middle Eastern soup usually served at the beginning of Iftar. It is light on the stomach, provides the much needed liquid after the long fast and not spicy. This soup is so easy to make and very tasty.
The ingredients used in the soup may vary from country to country but the basic ingredients red lentils, lemon, olive oil and cumin remains the same. Some add vegetables like onions, garlic, tomato, carrot, celery, squash etc and some don’t.
I decided to add some vegetables. You may make it into a thick creamy soup or a little more light. I decided to make it not too thick or thin. I used water but you may use a stock.
Shorbat in Arabic is soup and Adas is lentils. Here’s my contribution for the #FoodieMonday #Bloghop’s #97th theme which is Ramadan.
Just a few more days before Eid. Ramadan Kareem to all my Muslim friends and followers.
1 cup red lentils (split variety)
1 medium onion
2-3 cloves of garlic
1 small tomato
1 medium carrot
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp olive oil
1½ tsp salt
¼ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp cumin powder
½ – 1 tsp red chilli powder
3 +2 cups water
1-2 tbsp lemon juice
- Wash the lentils 3-4 times in water. Soak the lentils in 2 cups of warm water for 30mins.
- Peel and grate the carrot.
- Chop the onion and tomato.
- Peel and slice the garlic.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds.
- As soon as the seeds begin to sizzle, add turmeric powder,onion, tomato, garlic and carrot.
- Sauce the vegetables for a minute or so.
- Add the lentils along with the water.
- Add the remaining 3 cups of water.
- Add salt and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Lower the heat and let it simmer till the lentils are cooked and disintegrated.
- Process the mixture using a hand blender or your blender jug.
- Add lemon juice,cumin powder and chilli powder.
- Serve hot soup with bread, pita bread, any flat bread or just on its own.
- Soaking the lentils reduces the cooking time.
- Add flat parsley or coriander if you like.
- This soup can be made without adding carrots or tomatoes.
|Cassava in coconut milk|
Sending this recipe to the following events: