tomato carrot soup
I love tomatoes. Its such a versatile fruit and an important ingredient for most dishes whether it be curries or salads. My all time favourite is tomato soup. Ready made tomato soup whether in restaurants or from packets is a bit tangy. So I made a few amendments to suit the taste buds of all in the family. Hope you like it too. Note that in this recipe I have not used oil or butter. No wonder its an excellent healthy start to a meal. A cup of soup before a meal helps you to cut down on meal portions. Soup, bread and salad make an excellent light meal option. I add different herbs, fresh or dried every time I make the soup. Carrots add natural sweetness to balance the tangy taste of tomatoes. For vegetarians its an alternate to chicken soup when you are down and low and need something warm.
TOMATO CARROT SOUP
4 tomatoes cut into chunks
2 carrots peeled and cut into chunks
1 medium onion peeled and cut into chunks
2-3 cloves of garlic
2 cups of water
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper powder
- Put all the ingredients except salt and pepper into a pan. Cover it and let it cook gently on medium flame till the carrots become soft. You can put it in a pressure cooker and let it cook for 1 whistle.
- Let it cool for a bit and then liquidize it in a blender.
- Strain the liquid with a sieve.
- Put the soup in a pan, add the salt and pepper and heat it gently just before serving.
- Serve with grated cheese or croutons.
- To make healthy croutons, cut slices of bread into cubes.Drizzle a bit of olive oil. Add salt and herb. Place it on a baking tray and bake at 180°C till they become crunchy.
- Add dried or fresh herbs of your choice if you like while heating up the soup.
- Try roasting the vegetables instead of cooking in water or in a pressure cooker. Drizzle a bit of olive oil over it and bake at 180°C for 20 minutes. Puree with stock or water.