418. corn and beans quesadilla
The world was shocked on July 17th. The news that the Malaysian Airline MH 17 was shot down while flying over the Ukraine from Amsterdam to Kuala Lampur left the world in a state of shock. A buk missile shot it down near the border of Russia and Ukraine. Who is at fault will take forever to find out but in the meantime a nation has to once again in a span of four months face the tragedy of losing yet another aircraft full of passengers. Families and friends have to mourn the dead. None of those passengers had anything direct to do with the fight between Ukraine and Russia and yet they all paid with their precious lives. So many questions cropped up in my mind… how was a plane flying over 33,000 ft shot down by a missile. How destructive are all these war weapons? If Ukraine was a problem spot, how come the plane was allowed to take that flight path? Who is responsible for this? Will the world just sit back or will action be taken against the guilty? Just 4 months ago a whole plane MH 370 disappeared under mysterious conditions. It just vanished completely with all its passengers and crew. How is that possible?
All these incidences just acts as a reminder to all of us that life is unpredictable and short. Its not time to hold grudges, speak ill of others and waste life in meaningless talk. Life reminds us to put into action whatever good we want to achieve.
A person’s a person, no matter however small – Dr. Suess
CORN AND BEANS QUESADILLA
Wheat flour tortillas:
2 cups wheat flour (atta)
½ cup plain flour (all purpose flour)
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ – 1 cup warm water
3 tbsp soft butter
extra flour for dusting
extra oil for shallow frying
1 cup cooked sweet corn
1 cup cooked red kidney beans (or beans of your choice)
1 cup sliced mushrooms
½ cup diced onion
2 tbsp garlic paste
1 tbsp olive oil
¼- ¾ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper powder
1 tsp chilli flakes
1 tsp dried oregano
½ cup fresh chopped coriander (cilantro)
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
Preparation of the tortilla:
- Sift the flours, salt and baking powder together into a bowl.
- Add butter and rub it into the flour.
- Add water and form the flour into a soft dough. It should not be too sticky or too hard.
- Cover the dough with a clean kitchen towel or cling film and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Heat a frying pan or tawa over medium heat.
- Divide the dough into 10 parts.
- Roll each part into a ball.
- Using some extra flour, roll one ball into a circle of nearly 8 to 9 inches.
- Put it onto the hot tawa. Roast lightly on one side till small brown specks appear. Flip it over and roast the other side.
- Keep in wrapped in a tea towel so that it does not get dry.
- Repeat steps 8 to 10 using the rest of the dough.
- Heat oil in a wide pan over medium heat.
- Stir fry the onions for 30 seconds.
- Add the garlic paste and mix well.
- Add mushroom slices and stir fry for 30 seconds.
- Turn off the heat. Add the cooked corn and beans. Mix well.
- Let the mixture cool down completely.
- Add salt, pepper, chilli flakes, oregano and coriander.
- Mix well.
- Take one tortilla. Put about 2 tbsp of the filling on one half of the tortilla.
- Add about 2 to 3 tbsp of the grated cheese.
- Fold the other half of the tortilla over the filling. Press down gently.
- Place the filled tortilla over the frying pan or tawa.
- Drizzle about one teaspoon of oil around it and cook it light brown specks are formed.
- Flip it over gently and add more oil if needed and cook till light brown specks appear.
- Cut into half and serve with guacamole and salsa sauce.
- Add any vegetable of your choice.
- Add any cheese of your choice.
- You can use ready made tortillas.
Sending this recipe for the following events: