Fresh Pineapple Salsa
Fresh Pineapple Salsa
Fresh Pineapple Salsa is a delicious combination of sweet and tangy ingredients with a bit of spiciness. Can be served with any Mexican Dish, as a starter with chips or simply enjoy it on its own as a salad.
What is a Salsa?
Technically, a salsa is a sauce made with cooked ingredients, the most common being tomato, onion, cilantro, chilis and lemon juice. Salsa Fresca is a fresh sauce. No cooking takes place for the Salsa Fresca. The ingredients are chopped and mixed together. Usually enjoyed with some tortilla chips or on its own as a starter or a salad. This Pineapple Salsa is actually a Salsa Fresca.
I’ve got to thank my daughter for this recipe. I’d barely begun blogging and she sent me this recipe from a magazine. “Mum, try this out. Its so colorful and am sure it will taste good.” And I did. As I couldn’t find any jalapeño, I used chopped green chilis and chilli flakes instead. The recipe since then has been prepared in that manner and we love it.
How I Usually Serve Fresh Pineapple Salsa?
- Usually with tortilla chips.
- Have enjoyed it as a salad.
- Served it with crackers and even our desi khakhra.
- Tastes really good with bean burgers or served on the side with quesadilla.
Can you use canned or tinned pineapples?
Yes you can. I get plenty of fresh pineapples where I live so use that. However, I have tried making the salsa with canned pineapple titbits and it tastes great.
Some Salsa Recipes That May Interest You
Ingredients Required For Fresh Pineapple Salsa
- Pineapple – fresh or tinned (canned) cut into pieces
- Tomato – fresh, chopped finely
- Onion – I’ve used red onion but you can use any of your choice. Peel and finely chop it.
- Fresh Coriander – cilantro, washed and chopped. Don’t throw away the tender stems as they are packed with flavour. Chop it finely and add to the salsa.
- Red Pepper – finely chopped
- Jalapeño – I’ve used fresh chilis instead
- Red Chilli Flakes – totally optional. I add it as I love the flavour of it with pineapple.
- Salt – add according to your taste
- Lemon Juice – preferably fresh
- Gluten Free
Pin for Later:
FRESH PINEAPPLE SALSA
- 1 cup pineapple finely chopped
- ½ cup onion finely chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped red pepper
- 1 large tomato finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh coriander chopped
- 1 fresh chilli or jalapeno finely chopped
- ¼ tsp red chilli flakes
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- If you are using tinned pineapple, drain out the juice from it.
- Mix all the ingredients into a bowl just before serving.
- If you want to prepare the salsa for a party, mix all the ingredients except salt and leave it in the refrigerator. Add salt just before serving.
- Add chilli flakes, chilis or jalapeño according to your taste.
- Use the above recipe as a salad. Just chop the vegetables and fruits a bit bigger.
Pin For Later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email email@example.com
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962
May 18, 2012 at 1:26 am
Sounds very yummy indeed. PS – Love your new logo!
May 18, 2012 at 1:24 pm
Thanks.All credit goes to Nami for the logo and for sending me the recipe. Try it out.
February 25, 2016 at 7:09 pm
March 13, 2021 at 10:17 am
yummy yummy yummy!!! Pineapple salsa looks so fresh and lipsmacking.. I am hoping my fruit wala has a nice juicy pineapple so I can make this right away and enjoy… I love fresh fruit salsas a lot
March 13, 2021 at 7:34 pm
Thank you so much Priya, we even enjoy it like a salad on its own, please do try it. Am sure you’ll love it.
March 14, 2021 at 3:04 am
Pineapple salsa looks so colourful and appetizing. This is a very light snack to enjoy with so many variations of fruits. I like the idea of serving it with khakhras.
March 15, 2021 at 5:52 pm
Thank you so much Shobha, just happened by chance as I didn’t have tortilla chips and khakhras was the only option. Worked pretty well.
March 15, 2021 at 5:22 pm
I love pineapple in any form – tinned or fresh; So this pineapple salsa is a winner for me and I can’t wait to make it this summer. I love the addition of jalapenos to it.
March 15, 2021 at 7:33 pm
Thank you so much Mina, I didn’t get jalapeño so added green chilis. But yes you can add fresh jalapeño.
March 16, 2021 at 10:38 am
Pineapple salsa, looks bright, colorful and refreshing. I m literally salivating as i read through the recipe mayuri ji! Such a simple and satisfying recipe! I too love chilli flakes in my salsa, adds a nice kick.
March 17, 2021 at 6:30 pm
Thank you so much Priya, don’t know why but I always associate pineapple with chilli flakes, so just couldn’t resist adding some to the salsa.
March 17, 2021 at 2:51 pm
Pineapple salsa look so refreshing and tempting. Lovely riot of colours. Just need some papad or chips to polish it off. Adding jalapeños is a fab idea.
March 17, 2021 at 6:19 pm
Thank you so much, we sometimes enjoy it on its own too as a salad.
Sarika (Spice zone)
March 19, 2021 at 1:59 am
Love love love pineapple salsa. I make it too.. So refreshing and full of flavor. Yours look amazing..
March 19, 2021 at 5:24 pm
Thank you so much Sarika. I love to have it as a salad.