Black Bean & Corn Salad with Avocado Dressing
EVENT: FANTASTICAL FOOD FIGHT
RECIPE : BLACK BEAN & CORN SALAD WITH AVOCADO DRESSING
Black Bean And Corn Salad With Avocado Dressing is a healthy, tasty, filling salad with a creamy home made dressing. Can enjoy this hearty salad as a meal for lunch or dinner. Different textures and flavours makes this a fun salad.
FANTASTICAL FOOD FIGHT
Fantastical Food Fight is a Facebook Group of food bloggers. The group initiator is Sarah Ellis. She comes up with monthly themes and we post our recipes on the indicated date and time. It is a fun group which allows me to explore so many different cuisines and ideas.
There was a time when I was sticking to soups and salads only for dinner and that was going pretty well for a long time. However, the disheartening thing was that I was not losing any weight. And I got off track. This Salad theme is a reminder to get back on track.
I reasoned that light dinners felt good as tummy was not bloated, didn’t feel lethargic. Generally felt good that I was eating something healthy. I really should get back to that routine and yes have realized that counting calories is as important as exercising. No diet promises the easy way out.
Black Bean & Corn Salad With Avocado Dressing
So wanting to get back to my soup and salad dinners, I decided to make this hearty, healthy and filling salad. I love adding fruit to my salad, so just threw in a few pineapple chunks that I had in the fridge. And oh my! that added so much flavour to the overall salad.
For a creamy dressing, I usually go for yogurt or avocado as I am not a big fan of mayonnaise.
Some More Salads That You May Enjoy:
Ingredients Required For Black Bean & Corn Salad With Avocado Dressing:
- Salad Greens – any of your choice.
- Sweet Corn – cooked. Can use freshly boiled corn or frozen or tinned.
- Black Beans – cooked. If you use dried beans then you will need to soak them for at least 6 hours and cook them with water. Can use canned beans.
- Tomatoes – I have used cherry tomatoes. Can use any of your choice. If you use normal tomatoes, chop them into bite size pieces.
- Cucumber – I like to use English Cucumber. The skin is thin and crunchy so I don’t peel it.
- Pineapple Chunks – fresh or canned.
- Spring Onion – chopped, both the white and green parts. If you don’t have any, use normal onion.
- Fresh Coriander – cilantro. Wash and chopped. Need some for the salad and the dressing.
- Avocado – use one small one or half of a large one. Scoop out the flesh using a spoon.
- Yogurt – plain thick yogurt. For a vegan version use vegan yogurt or coconut cream or replace it with water.
- Garlic – peeled.
- Lime Juice
- Salt – add according to your taste
- Pepper Powder
- jalapeño – use according to your taste. If you don’t want a hot dressing remove the seeds and rib. Can replace it with normal green chillis.
BLACK BEAN & CORN SALAD WITH AVOCADO DRESSING
FOR THE SALAD:
- 2 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 cup sweet corn cooked
- 1 cup black beans cooked
- 10 cherry or plum tomatoes cut into halves
- ½ cup cucumber diced
- ½ cup pineapple chunks
- ½ cup spring onion chopped
- ¼ cup fresh coriander chopped
FOR THE AVOCADO DRESSING:
- ½ cup avocado pulp
- ½ cup plain yogurt thick
- 1 clove garlic peeled and minced
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves chopped
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 jalapeño chopped
- ½ tsp pepper powder
PREPARATION OF SALAD:
- Wash the greens thoroughly and pat them dry on a kitsch towel.
- Tear them up into smaller bite size.
- Mix all the salad ingredients in a bowl.
PREPARATION OF AVOCADO DRESSING:
- Add avocado pulp, yogurt, chili, garlic, coriander into a food processor.
- Process till you get a smooth creamy mixture.
- Add salt, pepper and lime juice.
- Pulse for 2-3 seconds.
- Remove the dressing into a bowl.
- I usually prefer to serve the salad with the dressing on the side. That way people can add dressing according to their preference.
- You can add other vegetables like bell pepper, chopped onion, olives, carrots etc.
- Use green chili instead of jalapeño
- Use leftover dressing as a dip.
- For vegan version of dressing omit dairy yogurt and use vegan yogurt. Or simply add some water. You will still get a creamy dressing.
Pin For Later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962
Check Out The Salads Other Members of Fantastical Food Fight Prepared: