Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins – eggfree
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are eggfree, easy to make, soft, moist and fluffy. Filled with mashed banana, walnuts and chocolate chips, these muffins can be enjoyed as sweet breakfast or as a tea time treat. How about enjoying them as dessert with a scoop of ice cream? Best part is that these muffins are made using wholewheat flour and oil.
First published on 26/07/2012, updated on 13/11/2021
Use Up The Over Ripe Banana
And best part, an excellent way to use up over ripe banana. You need only one to make 9 medium size muffins. The more ripe the banana, the less sugar you will need. Hubby being diabetic, liked these muffins as they are not too sweet. Feel free to replace the milk chocolate chips with dark chocolate chips.
Don’t Throw Over Ripe Bananas
If I don’t use them for baking cakes and muffins, I use it for pancakes and smoothies. I usually peel and chop them up the over ripe bananas and store in the freezer. Don’t forget to label how many bananas you’ve chopped or the weight. Becomes easier to thaw them, mash and use for cakes, muffins, pancake, smoothies.
Some Recipes Where I Use Over Ripe Bananas
Mango Banana and Mint Sorbet – without refined sugar
Bananas and chocolate are a classic combination for cakes, muffins, smoothies, cookies etc. These muffins turn out very soft and spongy even though I have not used eggs. Yogurt and fruit puree are excellent replacements for eggs. Most of the muffins I have blogged do not have any frosting on top as usually I prefer to reduce the calorie intake. Feel free to add frosting on yours.
Muffins Are Easy To Make
Muffins are very easy to prepare. It is basically all about mixing the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. I prefer to sift the flour with salt, baking agents, cocoa powder, spices etc. I mix the wet ingredients together, eggs, oil, butter, fruit purees, juices etc. The basic rule is not to over mix. Then spoon the batter into the greased muffin cups or cake cups.
What is Preheating The Oven?
Preheating the oven basically means you switch on the oven at the mentioned temperature and let the oven reach that temperature. Don’t make the mistake of switching the oven at full heat, letting it get hot at that temperature and then lowering the temperature. That way your muffins will get burnt from the top and remain uncooked inside.
Ingredients Required For Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Wheat Flour – I normally use the atta that we use for rotis and parathas. Can replace it with wheat pastry flour or all purpose flour.
- Sugar – I use either brown or white, depends what I have in the pantry. Can use jaggery powder too.
- Oats – quick oat and medium size is best.
- Baking Powder – remember to scoop the powder from the container and level it out using a knife. This way you don’t land up using more baking agent.
- Baking Soda – Soda Bicarbonate – remember to scoop the powder from the container and level it out using a knife. This way you don’t land up using more baking agent.
- Salt – to balance the taste and also because we are not using salted butter
- Oil – use any vegetable oil of your choice. I use either olive oil or sunflower oil.
- Walnuts – can replace them with pecans. Roughly chopped.
- Chocolate Chips – use ready made chocolate chips or chop up a bar of chocolate. Can use milk or dark chocolate chips.
- Over Ripe Banana – Over ripe is best as they tend to be naturally sweeter. Usually 1 large banana is about ½ cup mashed banana. Mash using a fork or a masher.
- Milk – can replace the milk with orange juice or water.
- Yogurt – thick plain yogurt. If you use home made yogurt, don’t add the water or whey. Scoop up thick yogurt. For Vegan version, use vegan yogurt which is quite easily available in the market.
Vanilla Extract – or replace it with orange or lemon zest.
Watch How To Make Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins – Eggfree
BANANA CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS - EGG FREE
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 6 tbsp sugar
- ¼ cup oats
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp soda bicarbonate baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips
- 6 tbsp walnuts/pecans chopped
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ cup banana mashed
- 2 tbsp water/milk/orange juice
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line muffin tray or molds with paper cups.
- Sieve wheat flour together with baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add oats, chocolate chips and nuts to the flour and mix well.
- In another bowl whisk sugar, oil, banana puree,vanilla extract and yogurt.
- Add the flour mixture and mix just enough to wet the flour. Do not over mix.
- Spoon the batter ¾ of the way into the prepared tray or molds.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer or toothpick inserted in the middle of the muffin comes out clean.
- Take the muffins out of the tray and let it cool on a wire rack.
- Serve with hot coffee, tea or milk.
- Add any nuts of your choice.
- Make without chocolate chips.
- Sprinkle some oats on top before baking.
- Serve as a dessert with a dollop of ice cream or hot custard.
- Instead of vanilla extract add orange zest.
Pin For Later
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email email@example.com
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962